Max Payne 3 PC to have "gloriously increased resolution and graphical detail"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Max Payne is not about "bullet time". Max Payne is about the noir story element. IMO that's what made the game. Bullet time just happened to make the game more stylish and stand out better. If all you got out of Max Payne was "bullet time" then you missed the whole point.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Soldier of Fortune, Star Trek: The Fallen, Duke Nukem (zero hour and Time to Kill).

Aren't those all FPS games? If you want to be picky about it, Max Payne is a Third Person Shooter (TPS if you will).

Max Payne is not about "bullet time". Max Payne is about the noir story element. IMO that's what made the game. Bullet time just happened to make the game more stylish and stand out better. If all you got out of Max Payne was "bullet time" then you missed the whole point.

I agree with this. While bullet time was a game mechanic that was popular in Max Payne, the big appeal (at least to people that like the game) is the film noir style story.

SZLiao214

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
When they say high resolution and detail did they mean compared to Max Payne 2?

Taking Max Payne out of the old environment might ruin it for me. I loved the comic book styled cut scenes in between each level.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Agreed.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Aren't those all FPS games? If you want to be picky about it, Max Payne is a Third Person Shooter (TPS if you will).

LOL, i donno why i put SOF in there....but the ST: The fallen & those particular Duke Nukem games are TPS.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
These are not the creators of Max Payne 1 and Max Payne 2. These are people who have paid some money to the creators.
LOL @ "generic shooter". Doesn't sound like you played Max in 2001. Since it's so generic, it must have copied other games - which games? Try to name even one that is significantly like Max.

Also, LOL @ "apart from the injection of Bullet time". The way Max plays is totally dictated by bullet time, it's the defining feature of the game. Doom was also a generic shooter apart from having demons from Hell, LAN multiplayer, height differences and dynamic lighting...

Bullet Time was a neat gimmick but really nothing more. You could EASILY beat both of the games without even using it once. While it made some parts easier, to me it got old fast. I don't think I used it once in the 2nd game. I found it to be more fluff than anything.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
The moment i think about Max Payne, the main theme starts playing in my head. What a wonderful theme it is. There are also some brilliant metal covers of the same on youtube.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
LOL, i donno why i put SOF in there....but the ST: The fallen & those particular Duke Nukem games are TPS.

The only game out of the list that I've played would be Soldier of Fortune (a decent FPS). I assumed the Duke Nukem games you mentioned were like Duke Nukem 3D. :p

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
The moment i think about Max Payne, the main theme starts playing in my head. What a wonderful theme it is. There are also some brilliant metal covers of the same on youtube.

The late goodbye, by Poets of the fall, the end music of Max Payne 2 is also fantastic, both that and the main theme music add so much to the games. I hope Max Payne 3 comes back strong with a good soundtrack.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Bullet Time was a neat gimmick but really nothing more. You could EASILY beat both of the games without even using it once. While it made some parts easier, to me it got old fast. I don't think I used it once in the 2nd game. I found it to be more fluff than anything.
You can always make up your own challenges - only using the basic gun in Megaman, etc. - but it doesn't change the fact bullet time is a stand-out, defining feature of Max. Not a gimmick.

I remember that using bullet time properly was a challenge in itself while playing the first game because I had used no mechanic like it before. I have yet to play the sequel actually.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008

Thanks for posting that. This is encouraging to me.

So that’s good. Shooting’s good, animation’s great, killing dudes is super awesome. Brilliant. There’s a minor problem with all this, however, and…well. Ok, so Rockstar are good with cutscenes, we all know that. And they’re truly impressive here, well produced and directed like the slickest Michael Man/Tony Scott co-production you can possibly imagine. Rendered in-game, they call back to the graphic novel slideshows of the previous games with multiple frames, super imposed text, camera filters, stylish angles, fast cutting, hardboiled narration, the works. Super awesome.

thedroidproject

Feb 18, 2012
Whirlwind said:
That trailer looks fantastic...I am so looking forward to this game.
don't get it what's so fantastic about it?

Posted from AnandTech Forums Reader for Android

Last edited:

bigsnyder

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2004
The late goodbye, by Poets of the fall, the end music of Max Payne 2 is also fantastic, both that and the main theme music add so much to the games. I hope Max Payne 3 comes back strong with a good soundtrack.

Yes, Late Goodbye was perfect for that game. Plus, how it was used throughout was very cool (one of the painters? would whistle it while working, and one of the bad guys playing the song on the piano).

On a different "note", If I am not mistaken, James McCaffrey is back as Max. Rockstar originally planned on not using him, but I believe they reconsidered due to outcry from the community. I can't cite a source for that reason, but why else would they have changed their minds? If that is the case it stands to reason that Rockstar has made a honest attempt to appease the original fan base. I am very optimistic.

Last thing, any particular reason to pre-order vs waiting for release day (PC version of course)? I know their is always some exclusive content in pre-orders, but wouldn't they content be available to download anyway?

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005

Dead wrong. Obviously you weren't around back when it was first released. All the marketing and hype surrounding the game was about bullet-time. The entire game was based around it. Remember that it came out like a year after The Matrix was released. I remember even the very first version of 3dmark was made popular for the fact that it had a recreation of the Matrix lobby scene done using the Max Payne engine.The film noir style was just thought as a cheesy backdrop for what was essentially the Crysis of its time.

Last edited:

Stayfr0sty

Mar 5, 2012
Ohh gawd not physx. DX 11 yay but please no physx!!
Any word on realease date for this game?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Dead wrong. Obviously you weren't around back when it was first released. All the marketing and hype surrounding the game was about bullet-time.

I don't think anyone disagrees that the bullet time was a "selling point" when the game first came out. I guess if I were to try and put it in different words, I would say, " but that's not what made the game special."

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I don't think anyone disagrees that the bullet time was a "selling point" when the game first came out. I guess if I were to try and put it in different words, I would say, " but that's not what made the game special."

...but it is what made the game special. Without bullet-time, it would have been the most boring straightforward third person shooter ever conceived. It would be like a zelda game without any magic items. The film noir style may be what made it memorable and turned it into cult classic but Max Payne = Bullet time.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
...but it is what made the game special. Without bullet-time, it would have been the most boring straightforward third person shooter ever conceived. It would be like a zelda game without any magic items. The film noir style may be what made it memorable and turned it into cult classic but Max Payne = Bullet time.

I think this is the main point though. I certainly remember the bullet time being in Max Payne, but I think the first thought that pops to my mind when you mention the game is "shitty movie adaptation" ... err no wait... "film noir" :p.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I never cared about the bullet time, I think I used it a few times, but the games were still good for their time without it. It was meaningless in the big picture. I think people forget that MP had very high production standards for the time, a smooth running engine, great sound, and what was truly unique was the noir aspect and comic book style.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Bullet time, and the way it was implemented in Max Payne, was a much bigger factor in the success of the games then the 'film noir' element. Much like how Batman is great because of it's combat, not the story nor characters. If MP was just a 3rd person shooter, or Batman a hack and slash, they both would have sucked... admit it.

I can still remember that small room with all the stacked plastic and metal chairs, and how I spent ages reloading and screwing around with grenades, watching the chairs fly around. Or the numerous battles with paper bits all over in the air, things on fire, and me John Woo'ing my way through acrobatically.

The only thing I remember about the 'film noir' part, other than parts of the backstory, is that stupid level where you are drunk or altered, and had to walk slowly around with some crazy visuals... added to the story, but it wasn't fun at all.