Masks? We don't need no stinking masks!!!

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You do a LOT of this false dilemma shit. Just saying. There are a few examples of it in this thread alone.
He's fucking insane. No sense arguing with him. He's a schizophrenic and won't change. Put him on ignore.

Reactions: MtnMan

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yes. If I choose to gather in a massive crowd with no protection and I get Covid and die it is ultimately my fault.

Who's fault was it when Herman Cain died from the virus? Trump or Herman? Pick one.

The same way if I choose to base jump off a mountain and have an accident and splatter myself all over a rock at the bottom it would be my own fault.

You base jumping off of a mountain does not potentially affect people with that same fate who just happen to be standing around you before you jump. It's a really stupid analogy.

Reactions: jman19
May 13, 2009
Ironic I could buy, I don't think it hilarious when someone get sick.
It would be justice tbh. He has caused a lot of the rebellion against masks and taking this seriously. If he ends up getting it himself and getting sick I won't be upset.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You base jumping off of a mountain does not potentially affect people with that same fate who just happen to be standing around you before you jump. It's a really stupid analogy.
It's an insane analogy from the standpoint of the epidemiology of this pandemic. Given how contagious it is, just your contracting this virus puts us all at risk. Anyone disregarding their risk of contracting covid-19 is taking a shit on the whole world's population. It's called personal responsibility. Trump is the biggest asshole on the planet.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It would be justice tbh. He has caused a lot of the rebellion against masks and taking this seriously. If he ends up getting it himself and getting sick I won't be upset.
I'd like to see him set so sick he can't get out of bed until Nov. 10, when he'd discover that he lost the presidency. It's beyond "hilarious." I wouldn't be laughing so much as dancing TBH. BTW, pcgeek11 is nuts. Literally out of his mind. Feel sorry for him, better yet, ignore him. There's only so much time for pity.

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yes. If I choose to gather in a massive crowd with no protection and I get Covid and die it is ultimately my fault.

Who's fault was it when Herman Cain died from the virus? Trump or Herman? Pick one.

The same way if I choose to base jump off a mountain and have an accident and splatter myself all over a rock at the bottom it would be my own fault.

Whatever it takes to believe in Trump, huh? You go on as if leadership entails no greater responsibility than followership, a fucked up notion if ever there was one. You also go on as if catching it is the only concern rather than spreading it, which is equally disturbed.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Of course it’s about trump, like I said he’s a narcissist. They make it about him because he’s attracted to such things and others follow his lead because...well...he’s a president. What better way to legitimize fake news/conspiracy than having a president accept it and repeat it as truth. It’s the same reason Putin likes trump, trump’s personality disorder makes him an easy mark.

Yes, and it's also more likely than not that Russia is in fact behind the anonymous postings of "Q" which means that Putin is directly putting ideas into the minds of American and European conservatives.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Edit - interesting that it's not purely a 'right wing' thing, it seems particularly appealing to people into 'alternative medicine' and 'wellness'. Goddam hippies. Mystics usually end up leaning right.

You're correct that it correlates with belief in alternative medicine woo, anti-vax, and other CT's. However, those kinds of irrational beliefs, whatever their demographic 20 years ago, have largely shifted rightwards, in the US at least. Major alternative medicine websites like Natural News, "David Avocado Wolf" and others are far right.

Polling on qanon itself shows that a whopping 56% of republicans think that qanon is mostly (33%) or partially (23%) true! By contrast, only 4% of democrats think it's even partially true.

It's a CT that is of the right, by the right, and for the right.

Reactions: jman19

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yes, and it's also more likely than not that Russia is in fact behind the anonymous postings of "Q" which means that Putin is directly putting ideas into the minds of American and European conservatives.

They don't have to think it up to promote it & expand upon it. Q is def pro-grade work given how effective it has been. Poor bastards are crazy as fuck. It's part of their longstanding efforts to render people in the West incapable of making rational decisions.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Ideally the states where Trump is having his rallies would station law enforcement officers at the events and ticket people right on the spot for not wearing masks. Hell even have them walking through the crowd issuing citations during the rally. I'd laugh my ass off to hear what he'd have to say about that.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Ideally the states where Trump is having his rallies would station law enforcement officers at the events and ticket people right on the spot for not wearing masks. Hell even have them walking through the crowd issuing citations during the rally. I'd laugh my ass off to hear what he'd have to say about that.

Ideally, Trump wouldn't have these giant Covid parties all over the Country. The only reason he's allowed to do so is because he's President.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
They don't have to think it up to promote it & expand upon it. Q is def pro-grade work given how effective it has been. Poor bastards are crazy as fuck. It's part of their longstanding efforts to render people in the West incapable of making rational decisions.

One theory right now is that "Q" is Jim Watkins, operating out of the Philippines, and directly supported by Russian money.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
So Trump is responsible for the anti maskers in Europe. Glad you cleared that up.

In Germany, the theory has caught on with the so-called Reichsbürgers, a fringe extreme right movement that dates back to the 1980s and holds that the modern German state is an artificial construct created by foreign powers and that the 1937 borders of the German empire still exist.

:thumbsup:

Yes, I "cleared it up" by citing evidence that qanon is deeply tied to the anti-mask movement there, and that these qanoners are admirers of Trump. The fact that Reichburgers in Germany are a driving force is irrelevant unless you are certain that none of them are also qanon and/or Trump supporters. You know, like in the US, where our white nationalists support Trump. Same thing.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
What if someone in your house bumps into a non-mask wearing Trumper in public and that person transmits the disease. Who's fault is that?

The answer to your examples is yes it is those people fault. However since the country is not in the position to isolate themselves completely from others their actions effect others. The odds are so infinitesimal you hit me base jumping and kill both of us I'm confident in advising you "feel free to jump off a cliff" ;)

Is it your contention Trump bears zero responsibility for the COVID spread in this country?

What if someone in your house bumps into a non-mask wearing Trumper in public and that person transmits the disease. Who's fault is that?

I think you are smart enough to know the answer to that question.

Is it your contention Trump bears zero responsibility for the COVID spread in this country?

No, that is not my contention at all. It is however what you have been trying to warp it into this entire thread.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Don't we fine people for not wearing seat belts? Blue states are already willing to mandate. Trump loves strong arming other governors. Imagine if he put that to good use. The best way to handle this issue from the start would have been a public PR campaign. That would require leadership from the top.

To date we have over 201,000 people dead in the US from COVID. Are they all Trump's fault? No. Does Trump bear responsibility for any of the deaths? Yes. In fact models have been done on the effects of early mask wearing. We would be around 40-50K. Not great but well in line with other advanced countries. Meanwhile we are relegated to the likes of Brazil. IMO Trump is directly responsible for at least half of the total deaths. Not just for masks but his lack of response in general. The post office was prepared to send masks to EVERY citizen in the country. The White House stopped it. Was that another "nobody's responsible"?

Because wearing a seat belt is the law in every state as far as I know.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Cotton masks generally do a poor job of preventing contracting the virus, but do a very good job of preventing spread. Cain presumably contracted because someone else was not wearing a mask, so if those are my only 2 choices I would put more blame on the organizer for not mandating masks.

So your opinion is that both bear some of the blame. And I agree to some extent. But Herman was a grown intelligent man and is ultimately responsible for his own choices. It isn't like he had to go and then not wear mask either...

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004

No, that is not my contention at all. It is however what you have been trying to warp it into this entire thread.
Well pcgeek just got promoted to the trumptroll ignore list. Won't answer a question, just diversion and deflection as evident here. When cornered, just fling some shit and scurry off like a cockroach when you turn on the kitchen light.

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

Talk to the dude who brought base jumping into the conversation.

Hint: It wasn't me... "HomerJS"

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Whatever it takes to believe in Trump, huh? You go on as if leadership entails no greater responsibility than followership, a fucked up notion if ever there was one. You also go on as if catching it is the only concern rather than spreading it, which is equally disturbed.

I never made that claim that catching it is the only concern. If you do everything you can so as to not catch it, you will also be preventing it.

Wear a damn mask, social distance and don't gather in crowds. In other words don't be stupid. That is all I've advocated for in this thread, but everybody wants to read in their own narrative and "read between the lines". Which is also stupid.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I never made that claim that catching it is the only concern. If you do everything you can so as to not catch it, you will also be preventing it.

Wear a damn mask, social distance and don't gather in crowds. In other words don't be stupid. That is all I've advocated for in this thread, but everybody wants to read in their own narrative and "read between the lines". Which is also stupid.
That’s a mighty disingenuous cross you built for yourself there.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

1. Doesn't answer the question which is key to the mask question
2. That's because EVERYTIME I bring up Trump's responsibility in anti-masking and COVID deaths you either deflect and/or defend EVERYTIME.

Then you try to claim not to support Trump. You are laughable and that's being generous

BTW - Anyone notice @pcgeek11's responses mimic Trump. Reporter asks question Trump just says "I know it and you know it". While never answering the question

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

You work so hard to avoid the fact that Trump deliberately creates opportunities for his devotees to do the opposite. By the thousands, at multiple events all over the Country. He encourages and condones their behavior. It's monstrously immoral & utterly wrong but neither he nor you care about that at all.

Reactions: cytg111