Masks? We don't need no stinking masks!!!

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
ap_20119769998767_wide-2e3e4e351212b9f4208b01f6dd6ee3f4026f8584-s1600-c85.jpg

Link
Vice President Mike Pence on Tuesday responded to criticisms that he defied Mayo Clinic policy by not wearing a mask during his visit to the campus, saying he complied with federal guidelines and felt it his duty to speak to workers at the facility unencumbered by a facial covering.

"As vice president of the United States I'm tested for the coronavirus on a regular basis, and everyone who is around me is tested for the coronavirus," he told reporters, saying he is following Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines.

The CDC recommends wearing cloth face masks in public to help prevent transmitting the virus to others.

"And since I don't have the coronavirus, I thought it'd be a good opportunity for me to be here, to be able to speak to these researchers, these incredible health care personnel, and look them in the eye and say thank you."

Instructions on the Mayo Clinic website request that all patients, visitors and personnel bring and wear a face mask to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

In a tweet eventually deleted but captured in screenshots and by the Internet Archive's Wayback machine, the Mayo Clinic wrote that it had "informed @vp of the masking policy prior to his arrival today."

The Mayo Clinic visit is one of two trips Pence will conduct this week as the White House seeks to ease back into travel.

Trump himself has not publicly worn face masks during press briefings and other events, saying earlier this month: "I just don't want to wear one myself. It's a recommendation. They recommend it."

"I don't know. Somehow, I don't see it for myself," Trump said during an April 3 coronavirus task force briefing.

First of all there is nothing like leading by example.

Next, has he not heard that there can be a 14 day latency period and that he can be asymptomatic and spread the virus?

Reactions: wirelessenabled

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
His explanation is sickening.

“When the CDC issued those guidelines, it was their recognition that people that may have it may prevent transmitting by wearing a mask,” the vice president said. “Since I don’t have it, I thought it would be a good opportunity to be here, speak to these guys and look them in the eye.”

Reactions: wirelessenabled

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Unbelievable. What an insult to the caregivers who put their lives on the line daily wearing much more uncomfortable PPE.
I am not even sure he is tested as often as he says, but even if he is, the tests can be wrong, and bottom line, he should have worn a mask as a show of solidarity with the Mayo Clinic rules.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I really wish that the worst this admin had to offer was the stupidity of not wearing face masks in a hospital full of covid patients.

Can you guys imagine if this was the worst thing this admin had done?

Reactions: iRONic

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
"As vice president of the United States I'm tested for the coronavirus on a regular basis, and everyone who is around me is tested for the coronavirus," he told reporters,

Was he and all those around him tested IMMEDIATLEY before entering the clinic? If not then it doesn't mean jack. Just because you were negative a day or two ago doesn't mean you haven't been exposed. Sure he might not be shedding but I seriously doubt he starts EVERY morning having breakfast with mother and a covid-19 swab.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Took a week to get a cloth one from Amazon Prime. It would have taken longer if I got a 3 pack.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
1. He should be fully aware of the chance of a false negative test in his position
2. Regardless, he should have some insight that not wearing a mask would create confusion
3. Even if #1 & #2 would fail, there should have been someone in his group who knew better

So we are in a position of either mass incompetence or dangerously bad leadership structure which permits frankly unsafe activity for fear of challenging authority.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
1. He should be fully aware of the chance of a false negative test in his position
2. Regardless, he should have some insight that not wearing a mask would create confusion
3. Even if #1 & #2 would fail, there should have been someone in his group who knew better

So we are in a position of either mass incompetence or dangerously bad leadership structure which permits frankly unsafe activity for fear of challenging authority.
And one that will have no repercussions like charges of reckless endangerment or manslauter should he either make others sick or catch it and transmit it to others subsequent to his visit. He should be arrested and removed from office and of course publicly horse whipped.

But if you could peal back the layers of his personality, I don't think you would find anyone there.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I know how to sew a button back on, period.
You skip the actual button and sew on an imaginary one that has holes that travel down a line. In one hole and up through the next right down the line. Use a thimble and don't stick yourself. Sort of like a worm, basically pretty alimentary, my dear hal2kilo. But I'm just going to use a whole tee shirt and tie it around my head should Mom ever take the couch off my front door.

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
I am at work now so I can’t post the picture, but I was just thinking about the selfie that a family took with Fauci last week. There was the family in the front and Fauci standing 6 feet behind them. There was no “I don’t have it” talk from Fauci. He was walking the walk and talking the talk.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I am at work now so I can’t post the picture, but I was just thinking about the selfie that a family took with Fauci last week. There was the family in the front and Fauci standing 6 feet behind them. There was no “I don’t have it” talk from Fauci. He was walking the walk and talking the talk.
You do know what the word -- FAUCI means in swahilii?? He who walks the talk!!!

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I'll say him not wearing posed no real risk, assuming he is monitored and tested routinely, as are the people around him.

Masks do not prevent inhalation exposure for yourself, only respirators do. Masks protect the ones around you from your exhaled droplets.

Wearing one would be mostly political, which the admin has done terribly. I do think there is some danger in overdoing it, but I won't accuse these knuckleheads of that.

Otoh, I was watching the draft, and there was some dumb usage. Eg Gettleman from the Giants was at home, alone in home office. Made his pick, then put on an n95 respirator (incorrectly I might add.) Why? F you doing dude?

Wearing one wrongly or where it doesn't make sense also undermines the message to the public. PPE is always the last line of defense, not the first.

Reactions: herm0016

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I'll say him not wearing posed no real risk, assuming he is monitored and tested routinely, as are the people around him.

Masks do not prevent inhalation exposure for yourself, only respirators do. Masks protect the ones around you from your exhaled droplets.

Wearing one would be mostly political, which the admin has done terribly. I do think there is some danger in overdoing it, but I won't accuse these knuckleheads of that.

Otoh, I was watching the draft, and there was some dumb usage. Eg Gettleman from the Giants was at home, alone in home office. Made his pick, then put on an n95 respirator (incorrectly I might add.) Why? F you doing dude?

Wearing one wrongly or where it doesn't make sense also undermines the message to the public. PPE is always the last line of defense, not the first.
You have no clue what you are talking about!

Reactions: Muse

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
You have no clue what you are talking about!

I absolutely do. In the industry.

If you disagree, please describe a scenario where Pence is a realistically risky health threat, assuming what he is saying regarding testing an monitoring is true (ie secret service and wh medical staff is competent and doing their jobs)

Last edited:
Reactions: herm0016