Marvel Heroes, F2P "Diablo-like" game... **Official Thread**

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I guess I'll make this the "Official" Marvel Heroes thread. Feel free to discuss the game or post info about it.

I'll try to list active codes or promotions as they come. They usually have a new code every weekend, and a new event every other weekend.

--- Original commentary post below ---

In case anyone cares, Marvel Heroes (basically think MMO Diablo clone with Marvel characters) is having a week-long event throwing out a ton of bonuses right now. You can even get a free extra character and costume.

The game itself is F2P freemium model, the ONLY thing you can't get without using actual real world money is extra storage inventory space, which I didn't really run into any issue with until I had 4 characters and was hording crafting items, uniques and artifacts. Everything else appears to be acquirable with in-game found dropped currency or random drops.

Game Information:
  • Link to website (Deadpool says "duh"): https://www.marvelheroes.com/
  • It's available through STEAM
  • It's free to play, everything except additional STASH (storage) space can be earned in-game.
  • Additional STASH space can only be bought with real money
  • Redeem promo codes by going to the website, logging into your account, clicking on "Profile", and then "Redeem Key" under the My Account bar on the right. Codes are case sensitive.
  • BOGO offers (Heroes/Costumes) generally ONLY apply to items purchased with real cash transactions (G coin), not items bought via in-game earned "splinters".
  • There is now a MAC Open Beta Client Available!!!

Current In-Game Events:
End of Anniversary Event - Epic Twelve!
Thank you so much for an amazing first year of Marvel Heroes! With the bar set so high from our Big Ten event this year, we knew we had to deliver even bigger for the momentous end of our anniversary month for Marvel Heroes 2015. For Epic Twelve, we not only brought back favorite events from last year but have created several new events!

To check out just how epic this weekend is, check out the full list below:

Return of the Reaper
Your favorite event is back! Every few hours, a different game mode will have increased loot, rotating between Terminals, Midtown, and X-Defense and Holo-Sim (which will occur at the same time). Check out the FULL SCHEDULE here.

Legendary BOGO
Buy a Hero, Get a Hero and Buy a Costume, Get a Costume are back! And just for end of anniversary, we have created the Legendary BOGO by including a 15% BONUS G SALE! For more details on our Legendary BOGO, please check out our article HERE.

Even More Cowbell
We have a fever, and you know what the prescription is! Everyone who logs in on Saturday, 6/28 will receive a Cosmic Cow King Crate (and all the delicious loot inside). In addition, during the Epic Twelve event, loot in the Bovineheim and Confidential Bovine Sector will be increased!

Devs with Benefits
Who doesn’t enjoy a little extra something from their play with the devs session? Not only will you have a chance to play with the devs and ask them many spoilertastic questions (that they may answer), they will all have their own code for a free boost potion!

This weekend we have 10 different devs signed up to play!
AlienSuperMage - Engineer for many game features, including motorcycles
Amthua - Lead for raids. Also works on items and enemies.
Doomsaw - Creative Director
Heretic - Creator of many game modes and Lead Content Designer
KingBacon - Engineer of many hero powers and systems
MichaelMayhem - Lead designer for new enemies and hero designer
PsiLocke - Hired from the community. Works on hero powers, tuning, PvP, item and more.
Ryolnir - Lore/story developer and community manager
TheArtofRawr - Hero designer, PvP designer, many level 52 hero reviews
Xarex - CEO of Gazillion, designer of many things, creator of Diablo and Diablo 2

Each dev’s code will be valid for an entire week. The final Devs with Benefits schedule will be posted Friday (6/27) afternoon.

Runes Reloaded
Runic Revelry has been upgraded to epic proportions. For the duration of Epic Twelve, drop rates have been increased for the rarest runes, all “day of the week” runes and the Zod rune! If that’s not enough, the sale value of all runes will be increased during Epic Twelve, making this the perfect time to sell those extras!

Soccer Showdown
Apparently there's this little international soccer competition going on right now? Lets celebrate this tiny tournament then! During Epic Twelve, various international flags will drop in all zones and modes, game-wide. These flags may be sold for credits, donated to level up vendors or used to craft the “Soccer Ball Credit” item, which can be exchanged at the Holiday Vendor for Melanie’s Magical Boots, which have a new unique power added to them. GOAAALLLLL.

Cosmic Chaos
We love anything Cosmic! For the duration of Epic Twelve, Cosmic Doop will spawn more frequently and always drop a random Cosmic Medallion and Cosmic Ring. If that wasn’t enough, Cosmic Penta Boosts are back in the store just for end of anniversary!

Summer BBQ
Celebrate the beginning of summer with summer BBQ drops including hot dogs and Omega Red Ketchup!

Alpha Omega
This is your chance to earn more Omega Orbs! During the Epic Twelve End of Anniversary event, the Omega Orb Bonus for completing Shared Quests is TRIPLED and Omega Orbs will be 10% easier to acquire. As an additional Omega bonus, receive an extra Omega Orb just for logging in each day during Epic Twelve!!

Teamwork 101
Now is the time to become part of a Team. For the entire duration of Epic Twelve, Team insignia drop rates have been increased (all zones), Team-Up Heroes deal increased damage and all Team-Up Heroes in the G Store have had their price reduced by 20%. That's right, for the first time ALL Team-Ups are 20% OFF, and this even includes the just released Beta Ray Bill Team-Up! And an add team bonus, receive a Epic S.H.I.E.L.D. Team Up Gear upon login every day during Epic Twelve!

Accidents Happen
During the Epic Twelve Event, server side rarity boost will have a few unexpected increases at random times through each day. These times will not be announced ahead of time and will last anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes.

Old School
A taste of old school Marvel Heroes—Hero Tokens are back! During Epic Twelve, Hero Tokens for any hero have a small chance of dropping from any enemy in any zone.

Boost Bonanza
We couldn’t resist making it a “baker’s dozen”. During Epic Twelve, ALL SPECIAL BOOSTS ARE BACK including the much sought after Cosmic Penta Rush Boosts, Odin's Bounty Boosts and Bounty Hunter Boosts! All are available in the store with respective special bundles!
During the Epic Twelve Event, server side rarity boost will have a few unexpected increases at random times through each day. These times will not be announced ahead of time and will last anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes.

Old School
A taste of old school Marvel Heroes—Hero Tokens are back! During Epic Twelve, Hero Tokens for any hero have a small chance of dropping from any enemy in any zone.

Boost Bonanza
We couldn’t resist making it a “baker’s dozen”. During Epic Twelve, ALL SPECIAL BOOSTS ARE BACK including the much sought after Cosmic Penta Rush Boosts, Odin's Bounty Boosts and Bounty Hunter Boosts! All are available in the store with respective special bundles!

Current Web Sale:
Legendary BOGO & 15% Bonus G's
That's right, BOGO is back on Heroes and costumes bought through the G-Store. Why did I put this under the Web Sale section then? Because Gaz is giving an extra 15% G-cash on your G-cash purchases during this event. So not only is it like BOGO, it's like BOGO with a bonus.

Steam Summer Sale - 50% off several packs!
Steam currently has several Marvel Heroes hero packs available for 50% off during their summer sale. Some notables include the X-Force Team Pack and the Avengers Assemble Team Packs, both which include 4 heroes, several costumes for each hero, 4 hero STASH spaces, and 10 fortune cards each for $29.99. Sale ends at the end of the Steam Summer Sale (6/30/2014), so better hurry! (Note: Does not qualify for BOGO promotion.)

Current promo codes:
Redeem Code: EPIC12
1x Iridium Triple Rush Energy Bar

Dev Codes: (They are case sensitive!)
MakeRawrNotWar
1x Rarity Rush Boost

HereticLovesMidtown
1x XP Rush Boost

XarextheBoss
1x Cosmic Penta Rush Boost

Spoilersaw
1x Special Item Find Rush Boost

PsiLockeHeartsBetsy
1x XP Rush Bar

RyolnirsBeard
1x XP Rush Bar

AmthuaRaids
1x Rarity Boost Bar

BaconisGreat
1x XP Rush Bar

MobsofMayhem
1x Rarity Rush Boost

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I tried this game months ago (maybe two months after it went live) and the problem I had with it was that the servers were too crowded. There seemed to be 500 green arrows in every square foot of game space. I couldn't hardly even keep track of my character for all the sparkles on screen. I ended up playing for about 2 hours and never had the urge to return.

So, have they fixed server population density any in the last year?

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
I enjoyed it, but some characters were really OP, some were very power banded. I played the Thing and he was for the most part OP through most of the game. At the very late game he falls off a bit, but can still do decent enough. Some heroes were just junk though. There were also many broken skills still in the game.

Cuular

Aug 2, 2001
They've changed a lot since 8 months ago. There will always be some OP and some weaker heroes. And as they continually add new items all the time there will be certain items that will make some heroes op for a bit until they patch them.

But they've gone through most of the heroes a time or two and redid the powers they have. Making a lot of them easier to play and better.

If you haven't played in the last 8 months, I'd say give it another try. If you like the diablo style loot games, you might actually like it, now that it's more polished.

Last edited:

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
They've changed a lot since 8 months ago. There will always be some OP and some weaker heroes. And as they continually add new items all the time there will be certain items that will make some heroes op for a bit until they patch them.

But they've gone through most of the heroes a time or two and redid the powers they have. Making a lot of them easier to play and better.

If you haven't played in the last 8 months, I'd say give it another try. If you like the diablo style loot games, you might actually like it, now that it's more polished.

Thanks for that. That's actually why I posted about it, but was a bit lazy to say this. It's worth a fresh look especially if you're into Diablo and/or Marvel.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Been tempted to try this and give Diablo 3 a break fo awhile. I may give it a go tonight and see how i like it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
free = worthy of try for me.

as much as I like Diablo games, I tend to burn out on them pretty quickly nowadays (I think I made it about 4 hours in path of exiles?)

But I really enjoyed the first XMen Legends game for PS2, so I'll give this a go.

Can I be Jean Grey? I wanna be Jean Grey and explode some bitches.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
free = worthy of try for me.

as much as I like Diablo games, I tend to burn out on them pretty quickly nowadays (I think I made it about 4 hours in path of exiles?)

But I really enjoyed the first XMen Legends game for PS2, so I'll give this a go.

Can I be Jean Grey? I wanna be Jean Grey and explode some bitches.

Yes you can.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
The hero and costume codes are expired. :(

Thanks for the warning, that saves me the effort of downloading and trying it.

I have too many other games in my backlog as it is.

I finally got to Defense Grid in the pile and finished the story sequence, fun game.

Cuular

Aug 2, 2001
Those codes were just for extras.

You get a free hero to start with, and enough in game hero currency to get a second one when you clear the first difficulty level of the game.

So with the codes above having expired for an extra hero and an extra costume, doesn't mean you shouldn't try it. You'll have a hero to play, without those codes.

Cuular

Aug 2, 2001
"Free Spring Candy" and PEWPEWPEW, VENGEANCE, and FASTBALL all worked last night. After those 4 they told me to wait to try and redeem any more codes.

They have added 2 new "Mystery" codes:

RUNE1 (EXPIRES ON 11:59 PM PDT 4/30/2014)
RUNE2 (EXPIRES ON 11:59 PM PDT 5/2/2014)

Just to tempt you to downlaod and play.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
tried playing last night. got booted a few times because authentication server was down.

couldn't log on this morning, because "game not available." :\

guess they are getting hammered, and free being free, the server can only handle what she can handle.

Cuular

Aug 2, 2001
They were patching new content in this morning. Adding invisible woman as a playable toon.

I have to give them this. So far they have been adding new content, and polishing things, and changing things(in a good way) very often.

The changes from launch have made it a much better game.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
tried playing last night. got booted a few times because authentication server was down.

couldn't log on this morning, because "game not available." :\

guess they are getting hammered, and free being free, the server can only handle what she can handle.

That's weird, I haven't ever had a problem logging in even during prime time hours.

Cuular

Aug 2, 2001
I wasn't having any issues last night either, but I saw a lot of chat about people getting disconnected a lot. Might have been some latency issues from a major provider having network problems.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
They were patching new content in this morning. Adding invisible woman as a playable toon.

I have to give them this. So far they have been adding new content, and polishing things, and changing things(in a good way) very often.

The changes from launch have made it a much better game.

that's good to hear. Pretty fun from the 2 hours or so I did play (Black Widow). Just not sure what my stamina will be with another game like this.

The default keybindings are REALLY ANNOYING. I will have to look at slotting the ability sets somewhere else, because putting your skill bar at asdfgh is godawful when you get so used to MMO or, well, any other type of game controls. mouse movement and attacks is also strange.

Cuular

Aug 2, 2001
login to the website using your account info, click on the profile button, then over on the right hand side is a "Redeem key" or "Redeem Code" button.

Copy pasta the codes, they are case sensitive.

Cuular

Aug 2, 2001
that's good to hear. Pretty fun from the 2 hours or so I did play (Black Widow). Just not sure what my stamina will be with another game like this.

The default keybindings are REALLY ANNOYING. I will have to look at slotting the ability sets somewhere else, because putting your skill bar at asdfgh is godawful when you get so used to MMO or, well, any other type of game controls. mouse movement and attacks is also strange.

Yeah I'm left handed so I always have to remap keys. It is hard to transition from button based moving to the mouse moving. But once you readjust to that, it's like a huge slaughterfest with Marvel Heroes characters.

I transition back and forth from ESO to this on a daily basis. There's always a minute of adjusting to movement keys.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
so once one of the initial characters is selected, I can't create another one from that same pool? My account is now locked to that choice and the rest are purchased through in-game drops?

Or does it become unlocked at level 20 or something?

The default difficulty is pathetic. I've heard that I can adjust various things at level 20, so maybe that will add some flavor

Cuular

Aug 2, 2001
you get enough eternity splinters when you complete the end of the story at Dr. Doom to get another hero. You should have been getting those to drop about every 6-8 minutes, if you were fighting stuff near your level. they have 3 "tiers" of heroes, that can cost from 200-450 of those splinters. I believe they give you 200 of them the first time you take down Doom.

That's one of the many things they've changed since the start, and so I haven't experienced that first hand.

Those 200 splinters can be put towards any hero in the game, not just the ones from the first list.

But yes, you start with one, and have to earn the rest of them.

And yes the first play through is pretty easy, things start to get more fun on the higher difficulties, where you might actually have the chance of getting taken down.

And doing the different things other than just the questing like mid town, training room, X defense, etc is fun.