Marvel Heroes, F2P "Diablo-like" game... **Official Thread**

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Just spend the power points. Yea using retcons sucks, but you aren't doing yourself any favors not spending points. All you're doing is making leveling far more tedious than it needs to be. You get enough extra points now with the changes that you can experiment a bit.

Cuular

Aug 2, 2001
BTW that level 20 unique box? I opened it last night on my level 20 Ms Marvel and it gave me all level 60 uniques. There are similar reports on the marvel heroes forums. I was kind of looking forward to some uniques to level her with, but I'm not complaining.

Same here, but 4 of the 5 were "Any Hero" uniques. So I used them to help out a level 60 I hadn't gotten any uniques on yet.

Poor level 22 guy is looking wistfully at that level 60 unique that is taunting him from his storage tab!

Last edited:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Watched a bit of the hockey so only did about half of 7 (another hue land mass). Did hit 28. Also getting a crap ton of relics now. Starting to have space issues with only one stash page.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Forgot to mention I did go through most of my points (somewhat limiting by what you could spend for char level). Now the blue mobs back to dieing all most as quick as the generics and yellow ones don't take much effort.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Working from home today so I logged on at lunch for a bit. Went into the avengers tower and there must have been like 100 toons around the stash. Guess I stumbled on a boon party. Got myself like 10 hours of rif, sif, and xp.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
The thread title caught my interest, but one trip over to the online store quickly changed my mind.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Why did a trip to the online store change your mind? The game is free, pretty much everything aside from stash space can be gotten by playing the game. If you start a character now and get it to 30 before the 18th you'll even get a free stash tab. On your first play through the game you'll have enough free splinters to either purchase a 200 splinter character, or spend 175 to gamble for any character.

Sure you can spend money, but you certainly don't have to.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Why did a trip to the online store change your mind? The game is free, pretty much everything aside from stash space can be gotten by playing the game. If you start a character now and get it to 30 before the 18th you'll even get a free stash tab. On your first play through the game you'll have enough free splinters to either purchase a 200 splinter character, or spend 175 to gamble for any character.

on top of that, the community in game seems to be pretty solid right now. considering that it's a one year-old F2P game, without being overrun by asshats, MH has achieved some unique magic.
:D

MiataNC

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2007
The thread title caught my interest, but one trip over to the online store quickly changed my mind.

You can play for free. Money is just a shortcut to unlocking things. You basically trade time for money.

You lose nothing trying it out. If you do...

There is a list of free characters when you start. Once you pick one all of the others are locked out until you earn enough eternity splinters to unlock the next one. So make sure you are sure before committing.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
on top of that, the community in game seems to be pretty solid right now. considering that it's a one year-old F2P game, without being overrun by asshats, MH has achieved some unique magic.
:D

I have noticed everyone seems quite cordial in the chat. Pretty cool.

KT

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I have noticed everyone seems quite cordial in the chat. Pretty cool.

KT

they are also clever funny, and not completely butt-joke funny. I don't mind butt jokes, obviously, but it's a low bar that MMO communities have established for themselves.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com

Honestly this. You really don't have to spend a dime on the game if you don't want to. There isn't even anything in the game that makes it Pay2Win either. All the content and everything that makes the game the game is fully available for free. Quite literally the only thing you can't acquire in the game without paying real money for is additional storage space (with the exception of the one free STASH tab during the current anniversary event going on until the end of the week).

This is one of those "If you like Diablo, and if you like super heroes (particularly Marvel universe based ones), then you'll probably love this game" type of things. Being free makes it a perk.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Finished chapter 7. Ugh. They could refine that one. On top of the huge open area, each of the quest instances are also quite long.Did first one of chapter 8 and was much easier to digest.

At least only one level to go.

Random hero cost 175? Have enough for 2.5 now then. Feel like the game is trying to get me to get moon knight. About 4 of every 5 other char type items I get I'd for him.

What's the drop rate of heroes/costumes like in game now, have not seen a single one. Did get my first uru or however it's spelled item. Some type of helmet that inflicts damage on attackers.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Heroes do not drop in game anymore since they introduced the splinter system.

Costumes apparently still drop but very very rarely.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Costumes apparently still drop but very very rarely.

In fact, there is a greater chance that Mary Samsonite will go on a date with Lloyd Christmas, than there is that you will see a costume drop in Marvel Heroes.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Well that kinda sucks.

When you consider the splinter drop rate caps out at about 1 spliter per 8 seconds or so if you manage to max out your SIF, it really becomes moot. Even if you go with a more modest 6-10 spliters per hour, if you play a couple hours a day you'll still average a hero a week with the random boxes.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Probably true, haven't really looked into the boost stuff but it would be fun even if you only saw one once every couple of months to have a hero drop.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Also forgot to mention, have a couple holiday eggs still, any use for them now?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
When you consider the splinter drop rate caps out at about 1 spliter per 8 seconds or so if you manage to max out your SIF, it really becomes moot. Even if you go with a more modest 6-10 spliters per hour, if you play a couple hours a day you'll still average a hero a week with the random boxes.

...pretty sure it's per minute, no? I've never heard that max SiF would give you splinters in the seconds range.... :hmm:

Best numbers I have heard are 1 per 4-5 minutes with high SiF?

I think standard rate is ~ 1 per 8 minutes. I'm somewhere around 1 per 6 minutes with some modest, constant boons, on top of gear.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
On the splinter heroes, what happens if you've maxed out one of yours, can you still get it as a random and what would you do with it if so?