Margaret Thatcher, U.K.'s leading defender of capitalism passed away.

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Miski

May 15, 2011
Quick questions, don't the brits hate Margaret Thatcher?

A significant amount of the British public do not support her.
I include Wales, North of England, Scotland, NI, Ireland. And most of cities for her policies.

Oh and football fans for her cover up over the 96

The only people who loved her was rich, white people who lived in the shire and some who benefited from her policies.

And the Falklands.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Hating someone is one thing, but there's such a thing as manners. No one's asking for a moment of silence to say a prayer for her soul, but celebrating her death rightfully makes the rest of the world look at you with disgust.

Miski

May 15, 2011
Hating someone is one thing, but there's such a thing as manners. No one's asking for a moment of silence to say a prayer for her soul, but celebrating her death rightfully makes the rest of the world look at you with disgust.

She has no right to have any sort of privacy and respect. The idea of respecting the dead is all good for private individuals but not for public figures whose actions affected millions.

If she was having a private quiet funeral, I'd keep my trap shut because she's dead

But as she having a public funeral, in the middle of my city on my tax money. If I want to dance around naked celebrating her death. Her family will just have to shut up and put up.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
I'm finding Margaret Thatcher interesting because she seems like Reagan only more rigorous.

So with Thatcher, there's no "voodoo economics" of supply side, for instance. She also didn't seem to have to deal with a religious right, or a history of racial animosity.

I can't say I disagree with her actions. The big ones at least, like breaking the unions, which from the sound of it were imposing some ridiculous rules and sucking up ridiculous subsidies. Like, apparently computers weren't allowed in newsrooms because one of the unions held a monopoly on keyboards.

Probably for that same reason, she's more hated. Because like, Reagan was able to deflect hatred by his persona and by voicing support for like pro-life sentiment and other distractions.

Miski

May 15, 2011
I'm finding Margaret Thatcher interesting because she seems like Reagan only more rigorous.

So with Thatcher, there's no "voodoo economics" of supply side, for instance. She also didn't seem to have to deal with a religious right, or a history of racial animosity.

You mean more vicious and heartless.

She has a history of propping up dictators and even viewed one of them as a friend who comitted massacres and torture of women and children.
She refused to support sanctions on apartheid SA and called Mandela a terrorist

That's just abroad
Domestically she supported racist laws which targeted the ethnic minorities and allowed the police to abuse their power with full support of her.
She also tried to push through a draconian compulsory ID cards for every football fan

Edit: Oh and she race baited and courted the national front racist vote during the election.

I can see why she'd be compared to Regan :hmm:

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
She has no right to have any sort of privacy and respect. The idea of respecting the dead is all good for private individuals but not for public figures whose actions affected millions.

If she was having a private quiet funeral, I'd keep my trap shut because she's dead

But as she having a public funeral, in the middle of my city on my tax money. If I want to dance around naked celebrating her death. Her family will just have to shut up and put up.

Keep talking, this thread is flushing out the worthless bottom-feeders for my ignore list. :thumbsup:

Miski

May 15, 2011
Keep talking, this thread is flushing out the worthless bottom-feeders for my ignore list. :thumbsup:

Wonderful response. I'm not surprised if this is how you usually debate with people.

I've had a better exchange with children.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Wonderful response. I'm not surprised if this is how you usually debate with people.

I've had a better exchange with children.

Great isn't he? :D

Doesn't see the hypocrisy in insulting a bunch of people he knows nothing about but he is offended by people insulting someone that they know a lot about.

And then when you throw a load of facts about what she got up to at him he pulls a "Nya Nya! I can't hear you!" sticks his fingers in his ears and puts you on ignore. :D

Apr 27, 2012

And dont come crying to us when they kick your ass. Coward

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Calling out people who are anonymously and viciously attacking Margeret Thatcher because they are too cowardly to do it to her face.

Unlike you that keeps all his whining and whinging on the internet and appears to be scared of his own shadow.

You are apparently whinging at people who have been doing that in public, and unless you suggesting that they go and dig her up thats the closest they are going to get.

So that makes you cowardly, hypocritical and stupid. :thumbsup: Way to Go!

Apr 27, 2012
Unlike you that keeps all his whining and whinging on the internet and appears to be scared of his own shadow.

You are apparently whinging at people who have been doing that in public, and unless you suggesting that they go and dig her up thats the closest they are going to get.

So that makes you cowardly, hypocritical and stupid. :thumbsup: Way to Go!

They did it in public AFTER SHE DIED, they wouldn't dare do it when she was alive. That is my whole point.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
They did it in public AFTER SHE DIED, they wouldn't dare do it when she was alive. That is my whole point.

You missed that whole Poll Tax riot thing then? o_O

You really are incredibly stupid, incredibly uninformed or trolling your butt off.

I'm not sure which is more depressing really.

Apr 27, 2012
You missed that whole Poll Tax riot thing then? o_O

You really are incredibly stupid, incredibly uninformed or trolling your butt off.

I'm not sure which is more depressing really.

Yes I know there were riots. If you are going to celebrate her death especially when she did so much for Britain then you should at least have the courage to have said it to her face. Rioting doesn't count but say it to her face. Now the people who don't do that are cowards.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Yes I know there were riots. If you are going to celebrate her death especially when she did so much for Britain then you should at least have the courage to have said it to her face. Rioting doesn't count but say it to her face. Now the people who don't do that are cowards.

I'm definitely edging towards you being incredibly stupid now but let me get this clear.

You are saying that no one can express a negative opinion of a politician unless they do it to that politicians face?

You really want to go there with your posting history?

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
I really don't like where is this thread going...
I still don't know what to make of her, I was pretty much just a kid through her reign and the opinions are too divided (both erudite and random shouts). Or they try to look diplomatic, without choosing a side, but are secretly (Well it's a bit obvious from the article) worshipping her, like in this article http://ellidavis.com/toronto-real-estate-news/2013/04/remembering-margaret-thatcher.
Maybe the important question is: I am neither a brit, nor her relative or a friend, do I have to care? (It's not an appreciation of ignorance, but a serious question) How does it impact me?
http://ellidavis.com/toronto-real-estate-news/2013/04/remembering-margaret-thatcher

Apr 27, 2012
I really don't like where is this thread going...
I still don't know what to make of her, I was pretty much just a kid through her reign and the opinions are too divided (both erudite and random shouts). Or they try to look diplomatic, without choosing a side, but are secretly (Well it's a bit obvious from the article) worshipping her, like in this article http://ellidavis.com/toronto-real-estate-news/2013/04/remembering-margaret-thatcher.
Maybe the important question is: I am neither a brit, nor her relative or a friend, do I have to care? (It's not an appreciation of ignorance, but a serious question) How does it impact me?

It doesn't really impact you. I don't like where this thread is going either since it just shows how intolerant the left can be and exposes the cowards on here.