Margaret Thatcher, U.K.'s leading defender of capitalism passed away.

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
INCORRUPTIBLE THINKS IT IS WRONG TO CELEBRATE SOMEONE'S DEATH, EXCEPT FOR WHEN HE DOES IT.

capcapcapcap

Apr 27, 2012
What's with this new policy of not speaking ill of the dead? Hitler and Stalin have been dead for decades and people still shit on them. A student died at my high school while doing some dumb stunt to impress his friends and the first words out of my mouth were something like "what an idiot"

Hitler and Stalin are totally different considering they killed millions of people unlike Thatcher who wasn't a tyrant like them.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Ah, then you agree with my eulogy of her. Thank God for that.

:D

that would be a fantastic eulogy, actually. I can see a little dweeb like Incorruptible walking up to a podium and saying exactly those words.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
:D

that would be a fantastic eulogy, actually. I can see a little dweeb like Incorruptible walking up to a podium and saying exactly those words.

But what cracks me up is that I'm thought of as some far left nut job but at the same time the only one here to heap accolades on Thatcher. I can see him doing it too. What I don't understand is how Hitler got into this conversation. Hitler, always Hitler. Folk can't seem to resist going there.

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Yes, Two totally different things. To celebrate the death of the Iron Lady is not human but an animal.

I couldn't agree more with your sentiment. However, I have been commanded to love animals as I love myself. Naturally, I ignore it because I hate myself and so I'm going to f-ing hate others too, but I know I'm not supposed to, so I try to be a bit forgiving. I despise people who get happy when somebody dies but I can see within me that I am just like them. But I have been forgiven and so to really feel that I have to forgive them and I have to forgive hypocrites because that's what I am. What I try to do is to integrate the opposites in me, the contempt that brings joy for shit heads that die and the recognition that this also defines me as a shit head. I see there is only love and I don't measure up and that I don't measure up because of self hate.

What I define as insanity is acting out your beliefs when there is really only love. Try not to find joy form somebody's death and try not to lose your mind if you do. I read once somebody saying, 'I consider him a man only, who can satisfy the wolf and the sheep entrusted to his keeping.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Sorry to hijack the thread but i hyve to reply to this.
As far ss I know, as of now Germany is a member of the EU. Therefore Gwrmany csnt possibly "tariff the shit" out of incoming stuff any more than every member of the EU, since such matters are not within Germanies authority. If that was the case, than I really don't understand why Germany chose to let its large solar industry die (along with the jobs) and use the substantial renewable energy subsidies for subsidizing subsidized Chinese solar manufacturers instead.

In your favor I assume you are not from Europe

The duty rates applied to imports into Germany typically range between 0% (for example books) and 17% (for example Wellington Boots). Some products, such as Laptops, Mobile Phones, Digital cameras and Video Game consoles, are duty free. Certain goods may be subject to additional duties depending on the country of manufacture, for example Bicycles made in China carry an additional (anti dumping) duty of 48.5%.

VAT Rates

The standard VAT rate for importing items into Germany is 19%, with certain products, for example books, newspapers and magazines, attracting VAT at the reduced rate of 7%. VAT is calculated on the value of the goods, plus the international shipping costs and insurance, plus any import duty due.

So a bicycle made in China, just one example they use, will have a standard VAT of 19% with an additional 48% tacked on.

That same site lists the average US import tax at 5%.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/help_center/Import-duty-taxes-when-importing-into-Germany/

Miski

May 15, 2011
Good riddance.

Now let's pity hell for taking her off our hands.

Getting a public funeral on taxpayer. What a waste and insult to her memory. It should have been privatized and bidded on.
Just like how she would have wanted.

xapo99

Jun 14, 2012
www.thelucidnutritionist.net
Sorry, thats wrong. Under thatcher, to pay for that decrease, it meant that pensioners LOST out on their pension, but got fuel vouchers instead for gas and electric. So they had to lose out elsewhere such as food, or transport.

I worked for the Gov. during this period. Initially, in her first term, the 1980 Social Security Act was a way of trying to recoup losses gained under Labour perviously. Subsequent revisions and acts, and the personal pension plan, actually brought benefits to most.

Apr 27, 2012
Good riddance.

Now let's pity hell for taking her off our hands.

Getting a public funeral on taxpayer. What a waste and insult to her memory. It should have been privatized and bidded on.
Just like how she would have wanted.

Hey coward, You going to say that on the street or just hide behind your computer?

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cant believe people are this upset after over 23 years. Just shows how full of hate and ideology they are.

Has nothing to do with ideology, has everything to do with facts on how she actually did not improve things for her country, and she actually caused more problems in the long run. Take a look at what the UK is struggling through right now.. a lot of it stems from those olds policies she put in place. Read up on the internet about her policies and how it affected her country men, instead of spouting crap here on an anonymous internet board. It will enlighten you as to why most Britains really have disdain for this woman.

Apr 27, 2012
Has nothing to do with ideology, has everything to do with facts on how she actually did not improve things for her country, and she actually caused more problems in the long run. Take a look at what the UK is struggling through right now.. a lot of it stems from those olds policies she put in place. Read up on the internet about her policies and how it affected her country men, instead of spouting crap here on an anonymous internet board. It will enlighten you as to why most Britains really have disdain for this woman.

I saw numerous videos of the idiots celebrating. Many of them were young people who werent even born during her time as PM, they just know what they have been told by their parents and society.

Government absolutely shouldn't be operating the mines and they must be operated by the private sector. While I am no fan of Margaret Thatcher since many of her policies weren't Conservative she wasn't some tyrant whose death should be celebrated.

I have learned many in Britain want the government to take care of them and this tells me enough about Britain and why there are many idiots there.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007

More like a bunch of pissed off people who got toook of the government nipple.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I saw numerous videos of the idiots celebrating. Many of them were young people who werent even born during her time as PM, they just know what they have been told by their parents and society.

Government absolutely shouldn't be operating the mines and they must be operated by the private sector. While I am no fan of Margaret Thatcher since many of her policies weren't Conservative she wasn't some tyrant whose death should be celebrated.

I have learned many in Britain want the government to take care of them and this tells me enough about Britain and why there are many idiots there.

As opposed to you who lived in the UK during her reign?

Also

Margaret Thatcher said:
There is no such thing as society

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
UK music chart should look interesting this weekend. I wonder how the media will handle it?

sTF3rph.png

Apr 27, 2012
As opposed to you who lived in the UK during her reign?

Also

Your one of the biggest hypocrites you moron.

The left constantly complains about dirty coal and when they were shut down under Thatcher they attacker her. Would you have the same views if this was obama? NO!

The left constantly complains about women not having enough power and Margaret Thatcher broke the chains and was able to get in but they attack her

Apr 27, 2012
Come on, time to put up or shut up.

Explain how your thought process (or whatever approximation you have) led you to that.

Your a leftist.

The left has been calling for coal to be shut down in favor of "green energy"

Margaret Thatcher shut them down and they attack her

Would they do the same for obama? NO

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Yes, but I think many have exactly the feelings I expressed in my eulogy, no? Hehehehehe.

Nov 30, 2006
There's a lot of self hate in here Moonie. And you seem to be a little subdued on the subject lately...you feeling OK?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Your a leftist.

I may or may not be but its not relevant to your next point.

(and it should have been "you're")

The left has been calling for coal to be shut down in favor of "green energy"

The left at the time was not calling for coal to be shut down. The whole green energy movement hadn't gained any steam with the left wing.
And I'm not really seeing that importing foreign coal and burning that being that much more "green" than the previous practice.

Margaret Thatcher shut them down and they attack her

Because she put whole communities out of work.

Would they do the same for obama? NO

Obama has got nothing to do with me. He's not my president.