Manti Te’o’s dead girlfriend, a hoax?

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OlafSicky

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2011
Why would a 22 year old star football player want to have an imaginary gf. He must have had women throwing themselves left and right at him. And how can you call a girl your gf if you never even had sex with her. Weirdness all around, I don't buy anything they say now.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
None of the major news outlets give a damn about facts or honesty. You can also see it when it comes to them pushing gun control.

Sports journalism isn't known for being thorough and its very much known for unethical behavior(blatant plagiarism on a regular basis), so its not surprising they didn't do much fact checking.

The fact of the matter is he knew and was in on it, or he is the most gullible person in the world.

Last edited:

Hugh Jass

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2011
Why would a 22 year old star football player want to have an imaginary gf. He must have had women throwing themselves left and right at him. And how can you call a girl your gf if you never even had sex with her. Weirdness all around, I don't buy anything they say now.

Pretty simple really...so he could have her "die" and he could become a feel good story for the media.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Why are people still saying he was "hoaxed"? lmao at people who actually believe this. Wow.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002

who wouldn't butt chug with vomiting leprechauns?

2i1fp7k.gif

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Jimmy Kimmel commented that some people play fantasy football but Te'o plays fantasy people.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
ROFL!!

Late Thursday evening, an independent baseball team, the Florence (Ky.) Freedom, announced it would have "Manti Te'o Girlfriend Bobblehead Day."

As part of the promotion in late May, the first 1,000 fans will get an empty bobblehead box, there will be a pretend kiss cam for fans to kiss their imaginary friends and there will be an imaginary food fight in the kids' area, as well as an air guitar contest.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/...-ballclub-manti-teo-girlfriend-bobblehead-day

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Am I the only one here that thinks he wasn't involved with the hoax? Right now I'm just not seeing any conclusive evidence and feel kinda sorry for the kid.

Yes, you are the only one. Yes, you are the most gullible person on the forums.

Proof:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8856519/manti-teo-talked-girlfriend-knowing-hoax

Multiple media outlets have found numerous instances of the Notre Dame linebacker talking about Lennay Kekua as if she had existed after Dec. 6, the date that he and the university say he found out that the girl that he thought he was having a relationship with and who died of leukemia was made up.
The Associated Press turned up two more instances during that gap between Dec. 6 and Dec. 26, the date when Te'o told Notre Dame that he knew of the hoax, when the football star mentioned Kekua in public.

Like I said, scumbag trying to profit off of a made-up story that someone close to him had died. I hope he's drafted in the last round.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Yes, you are the only one. Yes, you are the most gullible person on the forums.

Proof:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8856519/manti-teo-talked-girlfriend-knowing-hoax

Like I said, scumbag trying to profit off of a made-up story that someone close to him had died. I hope he's drafted in the last round.

Profit? That's quite a leap. Where is the attempted profit?

I'm not suggesting that him lying after he knew the truth was the correct move, but it's certainly understandable.

Young and naive guy starts an online relationship. Then he is thrust in to the limelight because of the success on the field of himself and his team. "Girl" dies, news. He finds out that this "girl" he was involved with was a hoax. He's too upset and embarrassed to come clean right away.

Unless there are new facts, this seems like the most likely scenario to me.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
*snip*

As I read it Te'o was fooled. Told Notre Dame, who hired a private investigator. Since it was not a criminal issue or a NCAA issue they left it up to Te'o. They say Te'o planned to announce it but Deadspin broke it first.

Ya know, that's quite plausible. All the people who claimed to have seen her could just have been hangers on wanting to seem important. Perhaps people suspected it was a ruse and felt bad for Te'o so they said, yeah, they met her.

As to continuing the ruse after he was informed, that could just be an insecure young guy figuring he would keep it up until he screwed up the courage to go on national tv and say he had been made a fool of. Or maybe he thought it would just go away and he could avoid the embarrassment.

For three fucking years? I'm sorry, as I said before, if that is true, then he is the biggest moron on the entire planet. How does someone that dumb survive in the world, let alone play Football at a major college?

Yeah I have to go with liar.

KT

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
For three fucking years? I'm sorry, as I said before, if that is true, then he is the biggest moron on the entire planet. How does someone that dumb survive in the world, let alone play Football at a major college?

Yeah I have to go with liar.

KT

These guys are not known for their intelligence. There was one professional football player who went through kindergarten, elementary, junior high school, high school, college and could not read or write.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_Manley

Feb 10, 2000
Profit? That's quite a leap. Where is the attempted profit?

I'm not suggesting that him lying after he knew the truth was the correct move, but it's certainly understandable.

Young and naive guy starts an online relationship. Then he is thrust in to the limelight because of the success on the field of himself and his team. "Girl" dies, news. He finds out that this "girl" he was involved with was a hoax. He's too upset and embarrassed to come clean right away.

Unless there are new facts, this seems like the most likely scenario to me.

I certainly do not see this as the "most likely" scenario. We are asked to believe a) that a Division 1 All-American football player would date someone for three years without ever arranging a meeting (remember, she was purportedly a 3-hour plane ride away, not in South Africa or something); b) that a college-age man would maintain a three-year long-distance relationship in the era of Skype and Facetime without ever asking to use either with his girlfriend (who was purportedly a Stanford graduate and couldn't credibly claim not to have access to these things); c) that Te'O would not visit his girlfriend even when she was supposedly in the hospital on more than one occasion, for weeks at a time; d) that Te'O was somehow able to send flowers to a nonexistent funeral, for a nonexistent person, without being tipped off that the funeral didn't exist. I do not believe any of these things is remotely plausible.

To me the simplest and likeliest explanation is that he was actively involved in this fraud, either from the very beginning or for at least much of the time it was going on. The best rationale I can see for this bizarre behavior is that he is gay, and likely in a romantic relationship with the very guy who we are being told perpetrated the hoax.

Last edited:

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Since he's Mormon can he marry as many imaginary girlfriends as he wants?

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
hmmm...more articles about the duping...

new shit has come to light.

from whats being said right now, he appears to be a victim of a friend's prank. I still dont believe it completely.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
hmmm...more articles about the duping...

new shit has come to light.

from whats being said right now, he appears to be a victim of a friend's prank. I still dont believe it completely.

Wait, was this an imaginary friend?