Manti Te’o’s dead girlfriend, a hoax?

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

benzylic

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2006
I got to hand it to Te'o and his handlers though,waiting until the Friday news dump on a holiday weekend to do an interview. Monday and Tuesday will be dominated by NFL playoff stories, and an inaguration while this story will be put on the back burner

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Wow, that info from Schapp was weak.

So what I get out if this is Manti is indeed a liar and close to full retard, if not a full retard :|
At least link the damn article. :p

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-irish-denies-being-part-hoax-late-girlfriend

My favorite parts from the article:

Te'o said he didn't know for sure that "Lennay Kekua" never existed until Wednesday (this week)

He tried to speak with Kekua via Skype and FaceTime on several occasions, but the person at the other end of the line was in what he called a "black box" and wasn't seen.

Three years and they only Skype'd on several occasions without video. BWAHAHAHAHA.

A group of people, including a woman claiming to be Kekua, showed up at the team hotel for the Discover BCS National Championship Game in Miami. Te'o said he knew they were at the hotel because the group took photos in the hotel lobby. Te'o said it affected his play in the game, where Notre Dame lost to Alabama 42-14.

Yep, ND lost because someone who said she was Kekua was in the hotel lobby AFTER HER "DEATH".

Schaap asked why Te'o didn't go to see Kekua in the hospital.
"It never really crossed my mind. I don't know. I was in school," he said.

Sorry you're dead, see ya. BUT IT AFFECTED ME SO MUCH.

"I was angry. I didn't want to be bothered," he said. "So Lennay was just trying to be there for me. I just I just -- I just wanted my own space. We got in an argument. She was saying, 'You know, I'm trying to be here for you.' I didn't want to be bothered. I wanted to be left alone. I just wanted to be by myself.
"Last thing she told me was 'Just know I love you.' "
Later that day, Te'o was told Kekua had died.

I know you're here for me, and you were just diagnosed with cancer, but I just want to be alone.

Yep, full on retard and his story still has a dozen holes.

benzylic

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2006
Schaap asked why Te'o didn't go to see Kekua in the hospital.
"It never really crossed my mind. I don't know. I was in school," he said.

I love this one. In addition to everything else he now comes across as inconsiderate jackass.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
not sure how many people are aware of this, but they had a highschool teammate of his on the local sports radio here this morning (1067 the fan in DC).

he said that in highschool that his home was about an hour from the private school they went to, and that all 4 years he always "had a girlfriend back home" but no one ever met her.

he also said that his dad was VERY into his life, and that after football practice was over, that he would see the guys dad setting cones up because he made manti do MORE training after practice. he said that his dad basically knew EVERYTHING going on in his life and there really wasn't anything that was hidden from him.

this guys personal opinion is that if this is all a hoax and manti is in on it, then the father also had to be in on it.

he also did mention that he doesn't believe that the dude is gay. but that really is the only plausible reason for this as of right now. at least it is the one that could make the most sense.

just quoting myself for those that didn't read this. still think this is odd as shit that this has happened in his past lol. he is definitely lying his ass off.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Unlike Te'o's fake GF, mine is a perfect Cinderella, She does it ALL for you and then at midnight turns into a six-pack and a pizza.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
"With the 9th pick in the 2013 NFL draft, the New York Jets pick Manti Te'o from Notre Dame"

Yeah, its gonna happen.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Right, because it's just inconceivable that someone would lie under those circumstances? Let's be reasonable.

All of the evidence points to a naive kid that got duped. To think otherwise takes a lot of cynicism and conjecture.

You say naive, I say complete and utter moron. Tom-ay-to, tom-ah-to.

KT

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Right, because it's just inconceivable that someone would lie under those circumstances? Let's be reasonable.

All of the evidence points to a naive kid that got duped. To think otherwise takes a lot of cynicism and conjecture.

From the interview, which will air tomorrow:

"Katie, put yourself in my situation. I, my whole world told me that she died on Sept. 12. Everybody knew that. This girl, who I committed myself to, died on Sept. 12.''

LOL, at "I committed myself to".

You would think that if he was actually committed to this girl, he might have actually gone out to California to visit her when she was in the hospital, or maybe have gone to her funeral? I think the naive one here is you.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

What's naive is continuing to support this liar in the face of a mountain of evidence that proves his involvement. I'm beginning to wonder about the nature of your relationship to Te'o as you seem to be the only person on earth capable of overlooking the facts and maintaining such blind, dewy-eyed devotion to him.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What's naive is continuing to support this liar in the face of a mountain of evidence that proves his involvement. I'm beginning to wonder about the nature of your relationship to Te'o as you seem to be the only person on earth capable of overlooking the facts and maintaining such blind, dewy-eyed devotion to him.

man, remember those in the Penn State rape thread that absolutely--and I'm assuming to this day--remain devoted to JoePa and his complete innocence?

People want to firmly believe certain things despite the mountains of evidence that challenge those beliefs. It's nothing new.

look at the moon landing, JFK, 9-11, religion...belief is a tough thing to abandon.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
I just watched youtube highlights of this guy.

Anyone else think he's overrated? He doesn't look very fast muchless that big. A great college player who's going to be a 1st round bust in the nfl, atleast relatively speaking for such a high prospect.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Pretty unremarkable footage. He looks OK but 1st round? Dunno about that. Most of those interceptions were tips or thrown straight at him.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I just watched youtube highlights of this guy.

Anyone else think he's overrated? He doesn't look very fast muchless that big. A great college player who's going to be a 1st round bust in the nfl, atleast relatively speaking for such a high prospect.

he was, apparently, the 3rd or 4th best at his position this year, statistically speaking.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
There is nothing exceptional about his play. His interceptions were either tips or coverage interceptions, no instinctual breaking on the ball or reading the QB from a zone. He isn't a quick closer which will allow NFL skill position players to make him miss in open field.

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
There is nothing exceptional about his play. His interceptions were either tips or coverage interceptions, no instinctual breaking on the ball or reading the QB from a zone. He isn't a quick closer which will allow NFL skill position players to make him miss in open field.

WHich is exactly what happened again Bama :)

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

Katie Couric released some of the voicemails, sounds like a girl:

http://www.katiecouric.com/features...from-manti-teos-girlfriend-a-katie-exclusive/

Edit: Oh damn, they pulled the voicemails!

Apparently deadspin nabbed them before they took it down:

http://deadspin.com/5978713/listen-to-manti-teos-voicemails-from-lennay-kekuaronaiah-tuiasosopo

Last edited: