Manti Te’o’s dead girlfriend, a hoax?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Drako, Jan 16, 2013.

1. techs

techs Lifer

I bet Tom Brady can't wait to play this guy.

Brady: "Hey, Manti, we're running right"
    Manti: "Thanks"
    Brady "Moron"

2. AstroManLuca

AstroManLuca Lifer

They changed the web address of the article but didn't pull it. Here's the article:

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/sbt-what-dreams-may-come-20130116,0,1490151.story

3. Gigantopithecus

Gigantopithecus Diamond Member

lol.

4. crashtestdummy

crashtestdummy Platinum Member

Absolutely. The biggest change would have to do with where he gets drafted, but some team will eventually take a chance on him, and at that point it won't matter.

The interest, for me, is completely independent of actually football results. I'm much more interested in what drives someone to perpetrate a hoax like this (or conversely, how the world could be so dense as to believe it). I'm also enjoying the sense of betrayal so many seem to be feeling, when there's really no material difference to them whether this person was real or not.

It's a fun story. I'm by no means actually outraged, just fascinated.

5. AstroManLuca

AstroManLuca Lifer

He did tweet to her a few times before she "died," so we do at least know that her persona existed and wasn't invented after the fact.

Also, some of his teammates said that they knew about the girlfriend and were suspicious of her actually existing but never brought it up:

http://pepperonsports.tumblr.com/post/40728557823/teo-teammate-he-lied-but-the-media-blew-it-up

Again, the question is how much did anyone know before the fake death? My guess is very little. People really don't care much about an amateur athlete's love life, so before it became a big story with her dying (on the same day as his grandmother no less), no one really took notice or reported on it.

6. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt Lifer

It's football, so different rules apply. You can be a criminal, you just can't be gay. They've got no problems with murderers like Ray Lewis, but there is not a single openly gay player in the NFL. That's why the ruse makes so much sense, he had to protect his draft position.

7. AstroManLuca

AstroManLuca Lifer

Me too. The biggest aspect of this story, to me, is how WRONG the media got things. They didn't bother to do any fact checking at all. That and the fact that this story was arguably responsible for his Heisman run (and was most likely a factor in his receiving other NCAA awards).

8. Fern

Fern Elite Member <br> Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

:D

Fern

9. KeithTalent

KeithTalent Elite Member Administrator No Lifer
    Administrator

Listening to some of the reporters (the SI guy who did a cover story on Teo was on DP show this morning) they actually did look into a few things, but even when they came back empty, they decided to ignore it. His explanation sounded sort of reasonable, but it obviously looks terrible now.

KT

10. DougK62

DougK62 Diamond Member

Am I the only one here that thinks he wasn't involved with the hoax? Right now I'm just not seeing any conclusive evidence and feel kinda sorry for the kid.

11. Deeko

Deeko Lifer

I was referring mainly to the fact that we had a similar enough story here on AT....

12. KeithTalent

Administrator

13. BergeLSU

BergeLSU Senior member

These things drive the offseason.

Last year we had Bobby Petrino and the Willie Lyles stuff.
    The year before we had Cam Newton, the bag man, and LSU had Jordan Jefferson kicking a dude in the face.

14. crashtestdummy

crashtestdummy Platinum Member

Pretty much. Over the course of three years, he can't figure out that she's not there? He doesn't try to visit her after the car crash, the leukemia diagnosis, or her funeral? He never tries to meet up with her when he goes to play Stanford? They have a long distance relationship, but never used Skype?

There is just no way he didn't spend most of that time as part of this whole deal.

15. KeithTalent

Administrator

Agreed and if somehow, magically he was not involved, he must be the dumbest, most gullible person alive.

KT

16. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt Lifer

Yes.

Going on for too long, too many chances to meet, too many family members involved in the lie.

17. thegimp03

thegimp03 Diamond Member

18. Don Vito Corleone

He said it, and apparently described the meetings in detail, to his father, hence their inclusion in that article (unless you're adopting the theory that his father and/or made that up).

19. AstroManLuca

AstroManLuca Lifer

Here you go:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130117/manti-teo-girlfriend-hoax-quotes/

These are actual quotes taken from an interview by Sports Illustrated of him, not his dad.

Most of the interview he's talking about how he used to talk with her on the phone, but he does say at some point that he did meet her in person:

So at the very least, he lied about meeting her in person at some point.

20. techs

techs Lifer

He didn't say they met. He said she came to a game, at least according to what you posted. Maybe its in the article.....

After listening to Mike Golic the ex nfl player and now broadcaster who has two sons playing football for Notre Dame and who has spent time with many on the team the general consensus is Manti is an immature guy who liked the attention. It sounds like a story that "grew in the telling". At some point he felt he needed to get out of it as it was hard to keep it up and he invented the death.

21. SphinxnihpS

SphinxnihpS Diamond Member

See what floss started. Ban him again!

22. techs

techs Lifer

Is it a crime to kill your imaginary girlfriend?

23. DougK62

DougK62 Diamond Member

Interesting. Reading that quote sounds like some very careful wordsmithing on Manti's part. He doesn't say that they met. He says that she came to a game and that SHE saw HIM, which could certainly mean no face to face meeting. Maybe she just told him that she was there and watched him play?

24. benzylic

benzylic Golden Member

Was that said on his radio show? Is there a link for that somewhere?