Manti Te’o’s dead girlfriend, a hoax?

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
hmmm...more articles about the duping...

new shit has come to light.

from whats being said right now, he appears to be a victim of a friend's prank. I still dont believe it completely.

Yeah, the story changes every time his past words and actions puncture what his handlers claim is the real story. First they were saying he was a dupe, then in came to light he participated in the story AFTER he found out about it. Then it was a just a friend, that got shot down when the interviews with family came to light. Then they never met, then his own words claimed they did. Then he just found out and then that got disproved. Every lie his side tells gets cut to ribbons, so they invent some new bullshit and toss it against the wall hoping it sticks. This is day three and we're on his side telling their 8th version of the "real story" and each version holds less water than the last one. The only person getting fooled is DougK62, nobody else is buying a word of it.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
hmmm...more articles about the duping...

new shit has come to light.

from whats being said right now, he appears to be a victim of a friend's prank. I still dont believe it completely.

What new shit would that be? Manti is hiding under a rock in Florida.

Feb 10, 2000
From Bill Simmons' All-Te'O mailbag, at http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8856794/the-all-teo-mailbag -

Q: You have established the Levels of Losing. This whole Manti Te'o thing has got me thinking of the Levels of Indefensibly Defending Sports Figures. There has to be a certain level to where you can't defend your favorite stars without coming off as a pathetic, nonsensical fan. If there were five levels in all, Joe Paterno's supporters would be the highest (Level 5). Mel Gibson's fans are a 4 but dying to be a 5. Every Notre Dame fan defending Manti right now would probably be a 3 (with the chance to climb). This idea is in its infancy stages, how can you help? — Joe, Syracuse

SG: Come on, you barely need any tweaking! You were right there! Fine, I'll help. You should have gone with six levels (you missed one).

Level 1: Reserved for harmless stuff — like Boston fans defending Kevin Garnett every time he acts like a bully or an a-hole (just because he's on our team and we love him and that's what you do when it's your guy), or Cowboys fans blindly defending Tony Romo's litany of choke jobs just because they love Tony Romo, or Miami fans refusing to admit that Dwyane Wade is an occasionally dirty player, or Utah fans arguing that Karl Malone really DID have some clutch moments. All benevolent fan-defending goes here.

Level 2: A blown-out version of the first level — the stakes are a little higher only because there's a little more of that hits-too-close-to-home sensitivity. Like how Ravens fans fly off the handle every time someone jokes about Ray Lewis's incident from 2000. Yes, you could throw Kobe and the Laker fans in here. As well as Red Sox fans post-2004 right after any steroids joke about Manny or Papi.

Level 3: Any longtime O.J. Simpson fan now making the "If we're going to make excuses for Junior Seau, why can't we make the same excuses for everything that happened to O.J. after he retired? What if he has CTE, too?" defense. This gets its own level. By the way, I'm all-in on the CTE O.J. defense. He should start pushing it right now.

Level 4: Any Notre Dame fan pushing the whole "Look, Manti is the one who's a victim here!' scenario. If you play the catfishing/naïve angle hard enough, the "victim" door is juuuuuuuuuuuuuust open enough that they don't sound completely insane. Just marginally insane.

Level 5: Anyone defending baseball cheaters (Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, etc.) with the always hilarious "We don't know for sure" defense or the equally hilarious "Come on, everyone was cheating, any competitive person would have done what they did" defense. All PED defenses go here. So does everyone defending Lance Armstrong's last two decades of lying/cheating/bullying/threatening/intimidating because "he did some real good, too."

Level 6: Anyone who wanted the Paterno statue to stay up; anyone who thinks that Paterno and/or Penn State's administration didn't have an inkling that something was at the very least a little off with Jerry Sandusky; anyone who rushed out a mostly flattering post-scandal biography about Paterno without waiting for the entire investigation to play out; and anyone who said the words, "Well, this may have complicated Joe's legacy, but it didn't change all the great things he did." Welcome to the highest level of Indefensibly Defending Sports Figures.

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
its getting more believable IMO. but I wonder if its just that they're spinning it that way.

there have been numerous reports that this guy was an extreme introvert. just socially awkward. so that part is getting believable. although I am still wondering if there's a larger conspiracy being perpetrated by ND where they're telling multiple people to SAY he's an extreme introvert.

so by that token, the dude just isnt good with relationships, and he was fooled by this person, who is now being identified after confessing to a friend. however, this scammer dude was a guy so he obviously wasnt the only person involved, since its been said many times that Manti spoke to a girl on the phone. and it appears that there are more than just those 2 involved in the scam.

I'm still wondering what their motive was. I'm sure that will come out shortly. This guy Roniah Tuiasosopo (the main scammer) is about to be ostracized by pretty much everyone he knows....and could conceivably kill himself.

Of course, all that is if you believe whats being said right now. The truth is out there.

Last edited:

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Some guy on the radio said all Manti has to do is release his phone records and emails. If he really was in nearly constant contact with the girlfriend that would be proof.

Yongsta

Mar 6, 2005
its getting more believable IMO. but I wonder if its just that they're spinning it that way.

there have been numerous reports that this guy was an extreme introvert. just socially awkward. so that part is getting believable. although I am still wondering if there's a larger conspiracy being perpetrated by ND where they're telling multiple people to SAY he's an extreme introvert.

so by that token, the dude just isnt good with relationships, and he was fooled by this person, who is now being identified after confessing to a friend. however, this scammer dude was a guy so he obviously wasnt the only person involved, since its been said many times that Manti spoke to a girl on the phone. and it appears that there are more than just those 2 involved in the scam.

I'm still wondering what their motive was. I'm sure that will come out shortly. This guy Roniah Tuiasosopo (the main scammer) is about to be ostracized by pretty much everyone he knows....and could conceivably kill himself.

Of course, all that is if you believe whats being said right now. The truth is out there.

I don't think he was in on the hoax. When the media got wind of the story though he just ran with it, because who was Manti Te'o before that? I didn't know who he was before Notre Dame played Michigan State. He probably thought it would help his draft stock. Once he discovered it was a hoax, he should've came clean.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Yesterday we were trying to do a fantasy hockey draft and one guy held it up for hours. Finally I said "Is Bob Manti Te'o's girlfriend or something?"

zzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZING!!!!!

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Profit? That's quite a leap. Where is the attempted profit?

I'm not suggesting that him lying after he knew the truth was the correct move, but it's certainly understandable.

Young and naive guy starts an online relationship. Then he is thrust in to the limelight because of the success on the field of himself and his team. "Girl" dies, news. He finds out that this "girl" he was involved with was a hoax. He's too upset and embarrassed to come clean right away.

Unless there are new facts, this seems like the most likely scenario to me.

You seriously think that is the MOST LIKELY scenario?

Here is the most likely scenario. Te'o's gay'o's. The story was concocted to fool mom and dad, boost his ego, etc. It ballooned out of control. He had to get rid of her, but how? Agnethaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! He's now compounding the lie by saying he is himself a victim. And you are buying it. I have a bridge.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
I've been following this a bit because it is just such a bizarre story and a comical failure of journalism.

I think the most likely thing is T'eo got duped, but upon reaction exploited the situation. I.e. he met a girl online who died, after telling people that girl turned in to 'girlfriend.' The story grew from there through his family. Which seems like it could be worse.. he thought this woman had actually died and was exploiting his relationship to create an image for himself.

I don't think it is as likely that he is completely innocent. To call someone your girlfriend and not attend the funeral, or follow-up in any way that would identify this as a hoax, seems unlikely. Also his actions after finding out in December suggest a continuation of behavior of exploiting the false image. For example he blatantly lied multiple times after discovering the truth.

Last edited:

endlessmike

Jul 24, 2007
So at a school which is based on the teachings of a magical carpenter who turned water into wine, cured the sick, and rose from the dead, whose mascot is a mythical fairy that hides pots of gold at the end of rainbows, a kid either made up or believed in an imaginary dead girlfriend, and that's the big story.

Also, just to be clear before the religious and/or leprechaun faithful get too riled up at me, the above is purely in jest.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
You seriously think that is the MOST LIKELY scenario?

Here is the most likely scenario. Te'o's gay'o's. The story was concocted to fool mom and dad, boost his ego, etc. It ballooned out of control. He had to get rid of her, but how? Agnethaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! He's now compounding the lie by saying he is himself a victim. And you are buying it. I have a bridge.

This seems the most likely thing to me as well.

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
Pretty shitty of them to name an innocent woman, in the context of this story. She's done nothing to warrant such an invasion of her privacy.

innocent? I find her guilty of being straight up fizzzine! what a cute face.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Schapp interview up on ESPN after OKC/DAL game.

Last edited:

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Wow, that info from Schapp was weak.

So what I get out if this is Manti is indeed a liar and close to full retard, if not a full retard :|

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Looks like they (ND, Te'o family) have gotten together and agreed to protect Te'o and throw Tuiasosopo under the bus.

They're probably going to get away with it, too.

benzylic

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2006
So Manti wasn't convinced the girl didn't exist until two days ago? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Excuse me while I go laugh until my side hurts.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Wow, this is the best ESPN can do? Jeremy Schapp is a horrible reporter. D: