Lord of the Rings Online Thread (old)

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sentrosi2121

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2004
Originally posted by: Adn4n
I'm a 32 Burglar, and have been for about a month. I can't get a single fellowship on my server, Silverlode, and have quite frankly stopped trying. Giving this game up I think.

I have a few really good friends over on the Silverlode server who are looking around for people for their kinship; Rising Phoenix. You may want to stop by their guild portal page here and give them a shot.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
I'd love to give it a shot - will give hugs for a key!

Me too. I think AT is fresh out of keys.
I tried contacting Turbine about it but they won't budge. Bitches :p

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Originally posted by: gorcorps
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>not having an open trial is silly</end quote></div>
Not for the current players. Open trials allow for more spammers and farmers.

yeah that makes sense, but they might be losing out on some potential buyers (like me)

I never buy games without trying it.

Well they did have a 'Free" open beta before they launched it, and not very many MMORPGS offer a free trail at the beginning, give it 6 months and there will be most likely a free trail available...

Nnyan

May 30, 2003
I really do like LoTRO but IMHO its more like LoTRO Lite. It just feels that way to me. I was really hoping for something a bit different but it's fairly standard fare. I still play this more then I do WoW or EVE (and I've cancelled my CoH account) and it is enjoyable. Not sure what it is but it just doesn't satisfy as much as I thought it would.

caivoma

Sep 3, 2004
If anyone have an extra buddy key, can i have it please?

edit: oops, nvmind, look like AT out of keys, :(

CoBRaXT

Golden Member
Mar 11, 2002
What kind of resolutions/graphics settings are you guys running at and on what setups?
Wanted to try out this game, but would I be able to run it at ultra HQ on an x2 6000+, 4gb ddr800, 8800gts 320mb?

EDIT: This will be at 1280x768 due to lcd restrictions.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I'm running it on a 7900GS sli at 1920*1600 at ultra high. I do have a bit of stuttering though so I've got AA and post bloom effects off.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: CoBRaXT
What kind of resolutions/graphics settings are you guys running at and on what setups?
Wanted to try out this game, but would I be able to run it at ultra HQ on an x2 6000+, 4gb ddr800, 8800gts 320mb?

EDIT: This will be at 1280x768 due to lcd restrictions.

At that resolution you should be fine with most things maxed. Just reduce a few of the lighting and shadow effects if you encounter problems.

I play on the rig in my sig (Vista 64 though, not XP as the rig page says) at 1920x1200 with pretty much everything maxed, so you should be fine at 1280x768.

KT

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
I finally got around to canceling today. I dumped $80 to preorder and $30 in subscriptions and I've played at most 6 hours since release. What a waste for me. Never managed to get into it, I'm burnt out of gaming in general.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
So I just put down WoW after 2 years of gaming. It wasn't a bad game, but you need something fresh once in a while. How is LOTRO in terms of content? Whats the time from level 1-max generally? Is there any raid content? Is it a PvP or PvE game? How many classes are there? How many expansions are released per year?

darkeneddays

Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Hacp
So I just put down WoW after 2 years of gaming. It wasn't a bad game, but you need something fresh once in a while. How is LOTRO in terms of content? Whats the time from level 1-max generally? Is there any raid content? Is it a PvP or PvE game? How many classes are there? How many expansions are released per year?

I just started yesterday. Was playing WoW up until Feb this year. So far I'm loving it. They took a lot of things from WoW so it's very easy for an ex-WoW player to jump into imo. Leveling feels a little slower, which is great to me because I always felt WoW was too fast in that department. Can't comment on content having just started but I'm fairly certain the game is more PvE oriented. IIRC PvP comes in the form of "monster play" where you can assume the role of a monster in an instanced battle. Having Dwarves killing hobbits for "phat lewtz" wasn't really in the spirit of Tolkien.

There are 7 classes I believe which serve the usual MMO roles (healer,tank,damage,nuke etc) From what I understand there is raid content but I don't think they place as much emphasis on doing it as WoW. (Which is great if thats true, I hate raiding) I'm guessing expansions will be based on how successful the game is but supposedly Turbine is very good about consistent content patches to keep things fresh.

Only time will tell if I'll stick with it for as long as I did WoW, but I'm definitly enjoying what I'm seeing thus far.

BTW- I got a buddy code if anyone wants to give the game a shot. Edit: Taken:)

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: darkeneddays
Originally posted by: Hacp

I just started yesterday. Was playing WoW up until Feb this year. So far I'm loving it. They took a lot of things from WoW so it's very easy for an ex-WoW player to jump into imo. Leveling feels a little slower, which is great to me because I always felt WoW was too fast in that department. Can't comment on content having just started but I'm fairly certain the game is more PvE oriented. IIRC PvP comes in the form of "monster play" where you can assume the role of a monster in an instanced battle. Having Dwarves killing hobbits for "phat lewtz" wasn't really in the spirit of Tolkien.

There are 7 classes I believe which serve the usual MMO roles (healer,tank,damage,nuke etc) From what I understand there is raid content but I don't think they place as much emphasis on doing it as WoW. (Which is great if thats true, I hate raiding) I'm guessing expansions will be based on how successful the game is but supposedly Turbine is very good about consistent content patches to keep things fresh.

Only time will tell if I'll stick with it for as long as I did WoW, but I'm definitly enjoying what I'm seeing thus far.

BTW- I got a buddy code if anyone wants to give the game a shot. First come,first served.

You are correct about the PvP. This is a very PvE focused game, but from what I have heard Monstrer Play is quite fun for those into PvP. I've never really tried it myseld, outside of a few hours during beta.

For content I can only comment on what I have done so far (I'm a level 37 1/2 Captain), but there has been no shortage of things to do for me. I think it all depends on your playing style. If you just grab every quest and blast through everything with all of your buddies without actually reading anything, then you will probably get through it relatively quickly. If you are like me and read the storylines in the quests and take your time doing things, it will take a lttle longer.

Turbine has already added one free content update since release (Evendim) and I am pretty sure they already have an expansion in the works, so I think there should be plenty of content for everyone. I am still amazed at how many places I have not even visited yet.

If you go to the LOTRO forums and read the dev tracker you may be able to get a better idea on what content is coming up.

Hope to see you in game!

Cheers,
KT

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

So I just put down WoW after 2 years of gaming. It wasn't a bad game,
but you need something fresh once in a while. How is LOTRO in terms of
content? Whats the time from level 1-max generally? Is there any raid
content? Is it a PvP or PvE game? How many classes are there? How many
expansions are released per year?

Currently 7 classes, 4 races. First expansion was this summer (free). I
would expect at least 1 paid expansion a year (mostly just a guestimate
at this point based partially on the expected content release map
someone posted on the main forums; if South Farthing [sp] is the next
area released, I would give that even more credence).

You can go from 1-~20 over a long played weekend if you know the quest
in the area already or are good at playing by one of the game aide
sites.

The free expansion just released contained the first raid content.
Unlike WoW it only took a couple days for it to get cleared, but I don't
really see many complaining about that :)

PvP is lacking as most effort was put into PvE and the first expansion.
There are some groups that form up for PvP raids though, and it is
restricted to 1 area [so no ganking :( ]. Along with post launch class
reviews being done each patch, PvE is supposed to be an area that gets
looked at for improvement.

A good chunk of the people that have been playing since launch are just
now hitting the max level. Most have just enjoyed playing the game and
sprinkling in some alts/PvP in between.

The one real negative I have about the game so far is that most areas
will have one or more locations where you will get several group quest
for. That in and of itself is not real bad. However; once you complete
those quest often you get a new set of quest for the same area as
chains. Many of these quest chains go 3 or 4 tiers in length. Trying to
complete them can be a challenge as the LFG function isn't much more
than spamming the area you are in, and while you can get different
people doing different tiers of the quest in the same group (if for no
other reason to get the quest group going); depending on how the group
manages you may or may not complete a substantial amount of any of your
quest. (hello great barrows, gar angarth, dol dinen, fornost etc...)

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: lupi

So I just put down WoW after 2 years of gaming. It wasn't a bad game,
but you need something fresh once in a while. How is LOTRO in terms of
content? Whats the time from level 1-max generally? Is there any raid
content? Is it a PvP or PvE game? How many classes are there? How many
expansions are released per year?

Currently 7 classes, 4 races. First expansion was this summer (free). I
would expect at least 1 paid expansion a year (mostly just a guestimate
at this point based partially on the expected content release map
someone posted on the main forums; if South Farthing [sp] is the next
area released, I would give that even more credence).

You can go from 1-~20 over a long played weekend if you know the quest
in the area already or are good at playing by one of the game aide
sites.

The free expansion just released contained the first raid content.
Unlike WoW it only took a couple days for it to get cleared, but I don't
really see many complaining about that :)

PvP is lacking as most effort was put into PvE and the first expansion.
There are some groups that form up for PvP raids though, and it is
restricted to 1 area [so no ganking :( ]. Along with post launch class
reviews being done each patch, PvE is supposed to be an area that gets
looked at for improvement.

A good chunk of the people that have been playing since launch are just
now hitting the max level. Most have just enjoyed playing the game and
sprinkling in some alts/PvP in between.

The one real negative I have about the game so far is that most areas
will have one or more locations where you will get several group quest
for. That in and of itself is not real bad. However; once you complete
those quest often you get a new set of quest for the same area as
chains. Many of these quest chains go 3 or 4 tiers in length. Trying to
complete them can be a challenge as the LFG function isn't much more
than spamming the area you are in, and while you can get different
people doing different tiers of the quest in the same group (if for no
other reason to get the quest group going); depending on how the group
manages you may or may not complete a substantial amount of any of your
quest. (hello great barrows, gar angarth, dol dinen, fornost etc...)

Thanks for the information. Frankly, I was hoping for more challenging raid content, and was dissapointed when I saw that the first raid was cleared so easily. However, its encouraging to see that LOTRO is more PVE centered. It looks like I'm going to pick this game in a week or two, when more people start getting max level, and we get an idea of how end game is like in LOTRO. Hopefully, they won't forcefeed us expansions every month; keeping new expansions to around 1 per year.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
The expansion plan ma I saw went out to 2014 to cover all the areas covered in the movie (I haven't read the books) and a few other surrounding areas; along with some other misc side areas being released at late as 2018.

I expect some of the areas to continue to be free releases (like the one just done) but can't see more than 1 paid expansion per year, and will likely see them at a longer interval.

A few other notes, I think gogamer is running a sale for the collecter ed for 35, and they have readded a post launch lifetime subscription point, although at a higher price than the founder offer.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I have some 10 day guest keys if anyone wants one. PM me your e-mail address.

Preference goes to those I know on the forums already.

Cheers,
KT

cherrytwist

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2000
I downloaded the game last night in anticipation of getting a buddy key by an ACT OF GOD (YGPM KT) or picking it up on my way home from work tonight.

Either way I'll be logging in to Middle Earth sometime this evening :)

Tonight is the beginning of my weekend and I'm due for some much needed "me time".

edit:

You can add my noob Dwarf to the list.

ch3rrytw1st (Gladden)

• Aegti - Guardian

Schnieds

Jul 18, 2002
Just wanted to add my account info to the list:

Server: Brandywine
Character: Thailimor (currently lvl 37 Guardian)

If anyone needs a buddy key, PM me your email address.

-Schnieds

ITPaladin

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2003
Meneldor
Gariamond, Berigh.

I am a $10 / month founder so if you want a 10 day key and decide to play, you will get my pricing if I understand it correctly with the new referral program.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: ITPaladin
Meneldor
Gariamond, Berigh.

I am a $10 / month founder so if you want a 10 day key and decide to play, you will get my pricing if I understand it correctly with the new referral program.

That is correct, the first 10 people converted per Founder get the Founder's pricing.

KT