Lord of the Rings Online Thread (old)

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem
Even if you have a buddy key, you still need to purchase the game right? Unless it's available for download somewhere for those with buddy keys?

No you do not need to purchase to use your buddy key. Whoever receives the buddy key from Turbine gets an e-mail with a link to a download area for the buddy.

Cheers,
KT

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Even if you have a buddy key, you still need to purchase the game right? Unless it's available for download somewhere for those with buddy keys?

No you do not need to purchase to use your buddy key. Whoever receives the buddy key from Turbine gets an e-mail with a link to a download area for the buddy.

Cheers,
KT

Oh that's nifty. I'd like to play. I finally got my gaming PC up and running yesterday, but I am afraid I would become addicted.
What is the character customization like? Does everyone look the same?
Also how free are you to roam? Is it like Guild Wars where you just cannot go some places, or like EQ where you could walk right off a cliff and die so be more careful next time.
I hate restrictions on your freedom of exploration in MMORPGs.
But if anyone happens to have one (a buddy key) just sitting around feel free to send it to me...lol.
But if not thats cool too.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Well, my 10 days is up. Final result, I've renewed my subscription to City of Heroes.

LOTRO was nice in a lot of respects... I didn't have to worry much about PvP. There's no such thing as grinding levels on mobs. But the sheer amount of "run here, run there" for questing did detract.

blazerazor

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
Uugh! this game is piss'n me off! It hangs up EVERY time i enter/exit a area where you get a loading screen. Which is EVERY time you enter/exit a house in this game. Then I have to RE-BOOT or it will sit there ALL NITE. I let the program pick my settings and it still doesnt work. And sometimes it locks up on me for NO reason at all.

Hardware is 2600amd mobile, (512x2)+256Ram, 6800bfg 128m version. And im using a wide screen 22' WestingHouse LCD with native 1600x1200 resolutions. Game comes up part off my screen and I have to manually fix it EVERY time I load it.

I think its my video card. I fresh install of vista, this is the first & only progy i've installed, minus the updates and nvidia drivers. This really disappoints me. WoW ran beautifully for me, but that running under XP.

Is it my hardware? or adding 1g and maybe a 256agp card(if they still exist) fix this.
or can some tweaks help? Like maybe disabling 'aeroglass' first or messing with the registry.

I know i could use a new CPU/MB/PCI-Ex/2gRAM, but damn you M$!!! for making me spend MORE of MY money!!! Plus IF i did a upgrade like that wouldnt my activation be crap, and cause me to have to RE-purchase a new one.?.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: blazerazor
Uugh! this game is piss'n me off! It hangs up EVERY time i enter/exit a area where you get a loading screen. Which is EVERY time you enter/exit a house in this game. Then I have to RE-BOOT or it will sit there ALL NITE. I let the program pick my settings and it still doesnt work. And sometimes it locks up on me for NO reason at all.

Hardware is 2600amd mobile, (512x2)+256Ram, 6800bfg 128m version. And im using a wide screen 22' WestingHouse LCD with native 1600x1200 resolutions. Game comes up part off my screen and I have to manually fix it EVERY time I load it.

I think its my video card. I fresh install of vista, this is the first & only progy i've installed, minus the updates and nvidia drivers. This really disappoints me. WoW ran beautifully for me, but that running under XP.

Is it my hardware? or adding 1g and maybe a 256agp card(if they still exist) fix this.
or can some tweaks help? Like maybe disabling 'aeroglass' first or messing with the registry.

I know i could use a new CPU/MB/PCI-Ex/2gRAM, but damn you M$!!! for making me spend MORE of MY money!!! Plus IF i did a upgrade like that wouldnt my activation be crap, and cause me to have to RE-purchase a new one.?.

Well I am not really sure what your problem is, but did you take a look here: http://forums.lotro.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15 ?

If you search or post in there somewhere you should be able to get the answer you need.

Not sure what you are asking with your last question? Re-purchase what exactly?

Good luck!

KT

Vampirrella

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2001
im also intrested in this game. Anyone have a spare buddy key for me to try? Which server is everyone on? Can i d/l the game on the turbine site? This game sounds like something id like since its more for the casual gamer, rather then hardcore grinding what i was use to doing on eq1. Let me know if anyone has a spare buddy key!

kagy600

Jul 19, 2005
Everyone Looking for Buddy Keys:

Just go to Turbine's website and email account management asking for a way to try out the game (sound interested). They email you with a phone number that you call and then they give you a key.

Simple. Email replied almost instantly and only few min wait on phone. Nice people.

Schnieds

Jul 18, 2002
Ok, I am going to start playing soon....

What do you think is the best class / build to play? I am leaning towards a Dwarf Guardian right now because I won't be able to play much and I want to be able to solo a lot.

skrypts

Jun 17, 2007
I was interested in trying this game out but it isn't available for me to buy yet, does anyone have a buddy key I could use?

Thanks!

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Well it is certainly a hit with me. I was doing some questing near Esteldin last night and again I was stunned by how awesome the game looks and feels.

It just blows me away! :Q

KT

Adn4n

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2004
I'm a 32 Burglar, and have been for about a month. I can't get a single fellowship on my server, Silverlode, and have quite frankly stopped trying. Giving this game up I think.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Reply to this thread with your server name and avatar name and I will be happy to put it in the OP. I am interested in what people have to say about it as well, Zysoclaplem, I would love to play the final version, I bit it looks even nicer with that new texture pack that shipped with it.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Adn4n
I'm a 32 Burglar, and have been for about a month. I can't get a single fellowship on my server, Silverlode, and have quite frankly stopped trying. Giving this game up I think.

You think that's rough, try being a hunter. ;)

Seriously though, I'm on Brandywine and burglars are in short supply and the ones out there are almost always welcome in fellowships.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Wow so I can just call Turbine and get a buddy key? Has anyone tried this?

Saw a posting from them that you can order buddy(trial) keys for $5.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: lupi
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem
Wow so I can just call Turbine and get a buddy key? Has anyone tried this?</end quote></div>

Saw a posting from them that you can order buddy(trial) keys for $5.

Meh. I just emailed Turbine and asked if I could get one as I have no friends that subscribe and I am interested in trying before buying. I hopes they get back to me.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
not having an open trial is silly, I mean they are raking in the dough, and Zysoclaplem is a potential buyer who would bring them more money. Yet they expect people like him to get a bubdy key from somebody who's bought the game? That's stupid, if they gave people a trial they could make MORE MONEY isn't that what it's all about? I guess people could technically use different emails and get a bunch of trials, but since the character wouldn't be transferable I don't see many people doing this.

My GF is level 49 now, ridiculous how much she plays this game :)

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
It's mainly a deterrent to those chinese guys huddling in a house with a couple dozen computers and 2 beds.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: lupi
It's mainly a deterrent to those chinese guys huddling in a house with a couple dozen computers and 2 beds.

Yep, exactly. The fewer gold-seller e-mails I get, the better.

KT

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
I emailed them and they told me there is no free trial and I cannot get a buddy key unless I purchase the game or know someone who has purchased the game and get a buddy key from them.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>not having an open trial is silly</end quote></div>
Not for the current players. Open trials allow for more spammers and farmers.

yeah that makes sense, but they might be losing out on some potential buyers (like me)

I never buy games without trying it.