"Literally hundreds of studies link ultra-processed foods to obesity, cancer, cardiovascular disease, and overall mortality"

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Dang, I love that stuff tho!

A few quotes:

"These two studies continue the consistency: Ultraprocessed foods are unambiguously associated with an increased risk for chronic disease"

"Americans consume a large percentage of their daily calories from ultraprocessed foods -- 58% in adults and 67% in children,"

""This suggests that the increased risk of mortality is not due directly (or exclusively) to the poor nutritional quality of some products, but rather to the fact that these foods are mostly ultraprocessed"

On ultra-processing:

"Why are ultraprocessed foods so bad for us? For one, they are "ready-to-eat-or-heat industrial formulations that are made with ingredients extracted from foods or synthesized in laboratories, with little or no whole foods," Zhang told CNN.

These overly processed foods are often high in added sugars and salt, low in dietary fiber, and full of chemical additives, such as artificial colors, flavors or stabilizers.

"While some ultraprocessed foods may be considered healthier than others, in general, we would recommend staying away from ultra-processed foods completely and focus on healthy unprocessed foods -- fruits, vegetables, legumes," Mendelsohn said. In 2019, the National Institute of Health (NIH) published the results of a controlled clinical trial comparing a processed and unprocessed diet.

Researchers found those on the ultraprocessed diet ate at a faster rate -- and ate an additional 500 calories more per day than people who were eating unprocessed foods.

"There is clearly something about ultraprocessed foods that makes people eat more of them without necessarily wanting to or realizing." said Nestle.

On ways to avoid it:

Macros

Mindset & meal-prepping

Instapot

Future oven (pics)

Reactions: Racan

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
The additional 500 calories and added sugar alone seem like they would problematic.
This quote stood out to me, though:
“There is clearly something about ultraprocessed foods that makes people eat more of them without necessarily wanting to or realizing.”
Doritos have been intentionally engineered for this, and I'm sure they're not alone (yeah, it's not a hard science article, but I'd welcome refutations if anyone has them).

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I can’t stand processed foods, I’d rather buy raw ingredients and cook up something fast even if it’s a little more time consuming.

I'm the opposite. I'm stacked for time, tired all the time, and love processed foods lol. Which is why I love stuff like my Instapot so much...pushbutton meals help me to eat healthier! I'm totally addicted to the Standard American Diet tho, so meal-prepping is really my only way to combat fatigue & a constant time crunch haha!

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Eh, we all gotta die someday. Might as well eat cookies on the way there.
I have lived long enough to see many anecdotal examples of how different lifestyles play out. It ain't the dying that concerns me, it's the poor quality of life that precedes it. Sometimes lasting decades. It is a hell no one deserves. Yet many seem to happily write the checks their bodies will have to cash later.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The use of "processed" and "whole" is a "translation+dumbing down+not saying enough" all at the same time.

Like Twinkies are basically flour, sugar, soybean oil and some "cream", and the B vitamin complex. Flour, sugar, and veggie oils all just happen to have super powerful lobbies paying the scientists to let things slide for them.

And there is coke, which one of the most damning fat-free foods in the world.

Insulin makes you hungry more often. End of story(or the necessary beginning?)

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I can’t stand processed foods, I’d rather buy raw ingredients and cook up something fast even if it’s a little more time consuming.
I'm inbetween. Freaking store cakes are nasty sweet. Bread sucks.

But my mouth makes love to tomatoes, potatoes, and noodles. White Rice can do as well.

Going no-carb or low carb...I cannot comply for long....

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Oxaliplatin and other drugs persist in the environment long after colorectal cancer patient consumes it.

Depending on chemo, you become a brick in misery and if something timely needs to get done, you're likely screwed if you don't have someone else to assist.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
I wouldn't be shocked if the data they have is almost 100% related to the lack of natural fiber in ultra-processed products. Much of the benefit of whole foods is the phytonutrients which are bound to the fiber and absorbed as the fiber passes through your digestion system.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
The plant oils that are used to make these junk foods are going to kill us as well. Canola, sunflower, etc. These oils oxidize in the body which causes premature aging, type2 diabetes, cancer, and heart disease.

I've gone to Acacado sprays when I cook now. I like to switch from turkey bacon to the vegan sausages. The problem with the vegan brands is they use plant oils. They all do this. Butter isn't as bad as we once thought. There are some real benefits to consuming butter in moderation. The real thing is much better than that fake crap: I can't believe its NOT butter. That is loaded with vegetable oils.

The real issues of consuming all of this process food won't take shape until 20 years from now. The slightly weak overweight guy or gal who is 24 is going to have some HUGE health issues when they are in their 40s. And for many, its going to be life threatening. We are going to start noticing heart attacks happening to Americans in their mid-40s. In 20 years we are going to notice that over 70% of American kids will be obese. Its going to be a national crisis. Its not quite there yet. Our food suplly and horrible eating habits haven't caught up to usn yet. The storm is on the horizon, and its going to be a national disaster.

Ultraprocessed foods are horrible. I stay away from that crap. Hoagies, fast food, packaged foods. I haven't had fast food in months. The only "packaged food" I eat is a Quest bar. I eat one before I hit the gym.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Thing is I don't like cookies all that much anymore. I don't buy them. I stopped baking them. Been a long time since I thought a particular chocolate chip cookie I was eating was worth the candle. Has to be really good chocolate and some killer nuts to start with.

I do make a cookie recipe that I invented, used to make it every day for breakfast for years... I could make it right now, but I haven't made it in months. It's kinda a banana bread with 5 kinds of nuts and made into tiny cookies which are crisp.

In terms of ultraprocessed foods (WTH are they???) I don't eat any. I'm not a goddamned fundamentalist with my eating, but overall I eat pretty well. A nice big fresh salad starts off my dinner, for instance.

OK, I have commercial sausages and bacon in my freezer, but I eat that very sparingly. I hardly ever eat a whole sausage. I cut one up into ~5 pieces and will use one thin-sliced piece in a stir fry or on a pizza. I also make my own sausage, which is quite healthy (low fat).

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm inbetween. Freaking store cakes are nasty sweet. Bread sucks.

But my mouth makes love to tomatoes, potatoes, and noodles. White Rice can do as well.

Going no-carb or low carb...I cannot comply for long....
I have Basmati rice on hand but haven't cooked up any for years TBH. When I make rice I cook up 20oz of short grain organic brown rice in my Instant Pot, store in the fridge. Keeps pretty long time.

I grow my own tomatoes, my plants have died but there's quite a lot of tasty red tomatoes in the yard still.

I keep potatoes in the fridge. They keep better in there, don't grow eyes. I have noodles in my cabinets but don't eat noodles regularly, only occasionally. It's been months since I have. I suppose colder weather will make that more interesting to me, depends on me.

I don't go no carb but I try to keep carbs in check. I weigh stuff on a kitchen scale. I have limits set for myself.

The bread I eat I bake myself, a whole wheat loaf, then slice and freeze it. In recent times I eat one sandwich/week using that bread. Period.

Jul 27, 2020
My health food routine is to avoid bread. Don't want the spiky wheat proteins puncturing my intestinal walls. My main carb of choice is rice. I've recently been enjoying strawberries with cream and some icecream, almost daily (except for days where I feel fat, i.e. tightness around my pants. Then I may skip the strawberry cream icecream for a day or two). Two eggs for breakfast daily. A little dark chocolate. Milk tea. First one unsweetened with a little coffee for the taste and dairy creamer. Second one is instant tea mix, with just enough sugar and taste of cardamom. Dinner is rice and chicken and some hummus, with watermelon and often grapefruit/orange pieces. I've been fine with this routine. Don't feel the need to try other foods. After my bout with diabetes, I'm totally turned off to trying new things. I'll stay with what seems to work for me.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have Basmati rice on hand but haven't cooked up any for years TBH. When I make rice I cook up 20oz of short grain organic brown rice in my Instant Pot, store in the fridge. Keeps pretty long time.

I grow my own tomatoes, my plants have died but there's quite a lot of tasty red tomatoes in the yard still.

I keep potatoes in the fridge. They keep better in there, don't grow eyes. I have noodles in my cabinets but don't eat noodles regularly, only occasionally. It's been months since I have. I suppose colder weather will make that more interesting to me, depends on me.

I don't go no carb but I try to keep carbs in check. I weigh stuff on a kitchen scale. I have limits set for myself.

The bread I eat I bake myself, a whole wheat loaf, then slice and freeze it. In recent times I eat one sandwich/week using that bread. Period.
Oh, and I forgot: I eat a fair sized salad almost every day, with or before dinner:

Org. romaine lettuce
Homegrown tomatoes (org. cherry tomatoes if my yard isn't producing)
Org. carrots
Org. raisins
1/4 avocado
Org. green peppers, mine if in season like now
~1 ounce Jarlsberg cheese
~ 2 teaspoons Thousand Island dressing (DIY)
A sprinkle of Old Bay seasoning.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

I've let go these past few weeks. Piles of legal stuff to deal with, I've gradually started eating more pasta, crappy canned foods, cakes, etc. All with a level of care (no chewing, just swallow immediately if possible).

Sugars are starches do expand the desire to eat like no other.

I still can't get fat however, but the same mechanisms apply to me as those vulnerable to getting fat.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Consider it a blessing.
Even so, eating crappy, it seems to me, is apt to have deleterious effects. I definitely pack on the pounds if I overeat.

I have always wondered why it is some people don't get fat regardless of how much they eat.

https://www.google.com/search?q=why+it+is+some+people+don't+get+fat+regardless+of+how+much+they+eat.&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS934US934&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

A good one:

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Even so, eating crappy, it seems to me, is apt to have deleterious effects. I definitely pack on the pounds if I overeat.

I have always wondered why it is some people don't get fat regardless of how much they eat.

https://www.google.com/search?q=why+it+is+some+people+don't+get+fat+regardless+of+how+much+they+eat.&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS934US934&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

A good one:

I'm always hawking macros because it was so life-changing for me. I think my highest point was like 260 pounds. I was a slim jim growing up, then married a good cook & got a cubicle job & blew up and had absolutely no idea how to manage that situation. I did chicken & broccoli for the first round, but didn't know what TDEE was or how calories worked or anything like that. Then I discovered macros & now teach it to friends! Barring any outlier medical conditions, for people who get serious about tracking their daily macros, they get amazing results!

The problem mostly boils down to people not wanting to be accountable for what they eat, but wanting magic results. As far as results go, the meal timing doesn't matter & the food itself doesn't technically matter; from a very basic level, it's the daily macro intake numbers that matter. I still have dessert pretty much every single day, but in order to have high energy & maintain a healthy body weight, macros is the best & easiest way I've found to do it!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
They are right about the self regulation part. Sometimes I have no interest in having dinner. Just drink a glass of water and sleep.

Dang! I'm an endless pit, I'm ALWAYS hungry lol! I typically do 7 meals a day...smaller meals, snacks inbetween, and dessert!

Jul 27, 2020
Dang! I'm an endless pit, I'm ALWAYS hungry lol! I typically do 7 meals a day...smaller meals, snacks inbetween, and dessert!
You have a healthy gut. On days that I don't want dinner, I can feel the food from lunch still inside my intestines. My body is sometimes really slow at digesting.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I remember one guy I met who said "I'm always hungry." He was playing tight end at Chabot college, was quite buff. Of course, his activity level likely caused him to burn 4500 calories daily.

• Wow
Reactions: Kaido

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

A good one:
Well yeah, I shouldn't be eating donuts, pasta, cakes because my periodontitis is not yet treated(NIH is slow). But the temptation is too powerful at times, like yesterday.

I downed four 4 donuts, one bowel of ramen yesterday. Scared myself even that I was doing neuropathy to myself. I woke up today not wanting food and feeling that I better fast today or else I'm screwing myself up.

Fasting may have benefits if adhered to for a certain period. Autophagy being one of them.

I am starting to suspect soybean oil may be legitimately part of the reason foods are "addicting". It's combination effect with a starch and/or sugar is pretty strong with me.

I read the article. The "self-regulation" does applies to me. Not the exercise. I'm thin even without any running or weight lifting.

Ancestry did provide me with some genetic info. I have the ACTN3 gene and some of the "endurance genes" well.

Exercise during formative years might have help. I had to walk home and the works required going up a hill.

I also was rather "competitive", so in gym class, I was not at the top but I was willing to burn myself out while others treated it as a social time.

My mom had endurance. My grandmother would bike and my mom would run with her because grandma could not get off the bike. Bike was the mode of transportation in Shanghai.