"Literally hundreds of studies link ultra-processed foods to obesity, cancer, cardiovascular disease, and overall mortality"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 27, 2020
I eat a toasted Costco bagel with ~1/3 ounce cream cheese every morning and a small cup of hot cocoa. I figure I should maybe stop doing that.
If it doesn't seem to be making you gain weight and you enjoy it, no need to give it up. A little indulgence is healthy for the mind.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
The number of young people under age 20 with diabetes in the United States is likely to increase more rapidly in future decades, according to a new modeling study published today in Diabetes Care. Researchers forecasted a growing number of people under age 20 newly diagnosed with diabetes during 2017–2060.
This expected upward trend may lead to as many as 220,000 young people having type 2 diabetes in 2060 —a nearly 700% increaseand the number of young people with type 1 diabetes could increase by as much as 65% in the next 40 years. Even if the rate of new diabetes diagnoses among young people remains the same over the decades, type 2 diabetes diagnoses could increase nearly 70% and type 1 diabetes diagnoses could increase 3% by 2060.

Jul 27, 2020
I should point out that some commonly available high dose supplement ingredients (Niacin or B3 and Selenium) can damage pancreatic beta cells. Someone young taking a multivitamin over a long period of time containing 250% of RDA for B3 and 200% Selenium would get closer to T2D much more quickly.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I should point out that some commonly available high dose supplement ingredients (Niacin or B3 and Selenium) can damage pancreatic beta cells. Someone young taking a multivitamin over a long period of time containing 250% of RDA for B3 and 200% Selenium would get closer to T2D much more quickly.
Plenty of vitamins can be OD'd via daily multivitamin consumption.
A
B6(I looked at old threads in this particular forum and found one)

Not sure about Selenium specficially causing diabetes via selenium toxicity, but it is toxic if too much is taken.

I took a "Super B-complex" about a 5 days ago for two days straight. It definitely got my riboflavin up after two pills because my urine became really yellow from riboflavin. I stopped after seeing such results.

Better to take a multivitamin once a week or every 3-4 days than daily.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The number of young people under age 20 with diabetes in the United States is likely to increase more rapidly in future decades, according to a new modeling study published today in Diabetes Care. Researchers forecasted a growing number of people under age 20 newly diagnosed with diabetes during 2017–2060.
This expected upward trend may lead to as many as 220,000 young people having type 2 diabetes in 2060 —a nearly 700% increaseand the number of young people with type 1 diabetes could increase by as much as 65% in the next 40 years. Even if the rate of new diabetes diagnoses among young people remains the same over the decades, type 2 diabetes diagnoses could increase nearly 70% and type 1 diabetes diagnoses could increase 3% by 2060.

Growing up AFAIK there were NO sugared "breakfast cereals." Now, it seems there are ALMOST NO "breakfast cereals" that don't have added sugar, usually a LOT of added sugars.

A few years ago I went on a kick to see what I'd been missing by not checking out some of the breakfast cereals they've been selling in recent years. There's so much, it's an intimidating challenge. I checked out the really popular ones (there were threads). Eventually I gave it up. I never buy or eat that stuff any more. I have Cheerios. AFAIK there's little or no added sugar in Cheerios. I eat them sparingly, nonetheless.

Um, I've never had a glimmer of any kind of diabetes. I buy and eat sugar but not a heck of a lot. I don't crave sugared foods. I put no sugar in my coffee. When I drink tea (rare), I put in a tiny bit of stevia. I use stevia very sparingly. Put a bit in that rare tea and a bit in my DIY lemonade made from fresh lemons (I freeze lemon juice in ice cube trays).

Reactions: IGBT

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I still love breakfast cereal, but can't justifiably eat it. I did try that Magic Spoon stuff you may have seen YouTube ads for, it was pretty good, but spendy.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I still love breakfast cereal, but can't justifiably eat it. I did try that Magic Spoon stuff you may have seen YouTube ads for, it was pretty good, but spendy.
I don't understand cereal. It takes 5 minutes to cook scrambled eggs on toast with smoked salmon and it's a billion times more pleasant to eat!

Jul 27, 2020
I don't understand cereal. It takes 5 minutes to cook scrambled eggs on toast with smoked salmon and it's a billion times more pleasant to eat!
Some people don't want so much protein in the morning. Cereal with milk is pretty light on stomach. If you don't eat a lot of it (more milk less cereal), then it's actually not unhealthy.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I don't understand enjoying salmon, and I can't cook scrambled eggs in 5 minutes. Cereal is crunchy and delicious. I do make scrambled eggs for lunch sometimes though.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Some people don't want so much protein in the morning. Cereal with milk is pretty light on stomach. If you don't eat a lot of it (more milk less cereal), then it's actually not unhealthy.
Yeah, I don't agree, all the tasty breakfast cereals are straight-up unhealthy, especially if you eat enough to actually sate your hunger.

Jul 27, 2020
Yeah, I don't agree, all the tasty breakfast cereals are straight-up unhealthy, especially if you eat enough to actually sate your hunger.
Fill a bowl with milk, put in two or three tablespoons max of Kellogg's cornflakes, leave it in fridge overnight. In the morning, yummy yummy!

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I don't understand enjoying salmon, and I can't cook scrambled eggs in 5 minutes. Cereal is crunchy and delicious. I do make scrambled eggs for lunch sometimes though.
Ok use sliced ham then!
Turn on gas, drop butter into pan. Crack two eggs into pan. Stir for a bit. Five minutes is going to give you rubber not eggs!
The toast gives you crunch!

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Fist bump on the not enjoying salmon. 3oz and my body signals to be done with it, and that's the wild sockeye type. Farmed salmon is utterly repulsive, I probably sniffing the nasty water the poor farmed fellas have to grow up in.

Cereal sucks unless it's sweetened up like cinnamon toast crunch, and I'm definitely not eating that kind of stuff again.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
What about muesli?
I never heard of it.

Cereal was never bought...just given via free food sources into the house. So, I never really liked it and never will. I've stated my carb addiction/preference before, and cereal ain't it. Even if the sugary type had some appeal, crunchy dry grain in a bowl of milk just isn't my type. Milk too is not a favorite of mine. Off and on consumption, never quenches thirst.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Yep, I like muesli. I'm eating it right now. Bob's Red Mill is all I've ever bought.

Kashi GO is also a good cereal - the toasted berry crisp has a good amount of sweetness (only 9g of added sugar) after adding milk, and 9g of protein.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
You are addicted to sugar :)
Corn flakes were literally invented to be bland.
Ok use sliced ham then!
Turn on gas, drop butter into pan. Crack two eggs into pan. Stir for a bit. Five minutes is going to give you rubber not eggs!
The toast gives you crunch!
I like my eggs overcooked. Regardless, the two meal options are not directly comparable as they're very different.
Cereal sucks unless it's sweetened up like cinnamon toast crunch, and I'm definitely not eating that kind of stuff again.
I agree.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I have seen it. I WTF'd at how tiny the boxes are. They only give you like 7oz right?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I have seen it. I WTF'd at how tiny the boxes are. They only give you like 7oz right?
Yeah, thereabouts. I had some kind of discount, but still came out to ~8/box. If I think of it as an occasional treat and not a regular meal option, it's more palatable... but I still haven't ordered a second time :p

Reactions: DAPUNISHER