List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV...

Page 89 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pookguy88

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2001
Triangle 8/10 - really trippy/thinking kind of thriller. Its classified as a horror but personally I don't think it is at all. If you like Lost the TV show you'll like this movie.

CoinOperatedBoy

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2008
Yeah, been wanting to see that one for a while. The Clash are one of my favourite bands, so hard ot argue against the Clash doc, but we'll see. I've read the book for Everything is Illuminated, so I hold out hope for that one. The only one of those I am really concerned about is Blindness, because I heard it sucked, but I have a thing for Julianne Moore :hmm:

KT

Everything is Illuminated is interesting and weird. I liked it. I very much liked Blindness the novel, but heard not-so-great things about the film adaptation so I avoided it. Will be interested to hear your thoughts on it. I've also got beloved patriot and Boy A on my queue...

BrownShoes

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2008
"Everything's illegal in Massachusetts."

Edge of Darkness review - 6/10
Mel Gibson, Ray Winstone, Danny Huston
Directed by Martin Campbell, 117 minutes, Rated R

The action drama, "Edge of Darkness," marks Mel Gibson's first acting stint since 2002; and it's a decent one. Gibson plays Thomas Craven, a Boston detective whose daughter is shot and killed in his arms. Craven spends the whole movie trying to unravel the conspiracy of who killed his daughter and why. Ray Winstone has a bit part as a fixer and Danny Huston is appropriate as the corporate scumbag bigwig who is above the law.

Thomas has a short-lived reunion with his daughter, Emma. She is sick, pukes blood, and has a big important secret to tell him. Before she can do so, she is shot and killed right on Thomas's front porch. At first, everyone assumes that it's a criminal from Thomas' past and that he was the target. But Thomas knows better and goes all-in on the investigation even though it's against regulations (because he is so close to the crime). Thomas finds out that all of Emma's friends are too scared to talk but they won't tell him what they are scared of. His search eventually leads back to Emma's job at the nuclear weapon research company, Northmoor. Through twists and turns, a lot of bodies turn up, there are some fistfights and gunplay, and even a government cover-up. Was Emma a terrorist? Why was she carrying a loaded gun? What does a U.S. Senator have to do with it? Why is Thomas' Boston accent so bad? And why the hell is Ray Winstone's fixer character British?

The movie is very low-key and dour and the ending didn't have me leaving the theater happy. Not that the final scene wasn't good. It just fit with the rest of the movie, which was consistently dark. This conspiracy movie could have used a bit more action and a bit less drama. Mel Gibson is good as the grieving man - he's done the same role throughout his career. It could be his wife who is dead, or his girlfriend or his sons. In this one, it's his daughter. Emma's character is fleshed out in flashbacks that can leave you teary-eyed. In the end, I can't really say whether or not you should see this movie at the theater. I thought it was worth my time and money but some people might feel better about renting it or watching it on HBO. It's certainly not a must-see but it was a decent movie.

Next movies -
Frozen, Shutter Island, The Crazies, The Wolfman

Last edited:

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
9 - 6.5/10 - Loved the stylized animation and graphics. Looked fantastic in Blu-Ray. Story was a bit confusing but was good enough to hold my interest.

Let The Right One in - 9/10 - Interesting take on a vampire theme and really just a fantastic movie. Lina Leandersson as Eli really commands your attention every time she is on screen. Both kids were great actually. So much so that it leaves you wanting more.

Yeah another person pulled in! Let The Right One In is quite addicting. My total times watching it so far is 20 times and counting. Haven't re-watched it in a while but plan on seeing it at least once a year. It is quite an amazing film.

Did you see the person who wrote a letter to Lina Leandersson in Sweden ? It was interesting what people though. Some thought it was creepy others nice. Didn't even realize in Sweden you could find a actor or actress address just by knowing their name. It all all public knowledge. Whatever though. I don't have the time, dedication, or want to write people. Even if I could. They didn't get much of a reply back but then again I am sure they are busy setting up a new film part.

Jul 10, 2007
American History X- 9/10

i cant really think of anything about this movie that i did not like but i cant really give it a 10.... perfect isnt likely.
and holy shit to Ed Norton in this movie. he somehow got amazingly ripped and damnnnn was he sexy! everything about him (minus the swastika tat, lol)
great acting. was not uber impressed with eddie furlong though. he was mediocre

uhm, really?
the movie itself was excellent, but ed norton was pretty bad in some scenes; namely the crying scene in the hospital and the ending.

CoinOperatedBoy

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2008
In the Loop - 7/10 - Great wartime political satire. Every performance was great, with the obvious standout of Peter Capaldi as Malcolm Tucker. What a smorgasbord of delicious profanity. Gandolfini was the only one who felt a little out of place, and his delivery made me feel like he was reprising parts of his character from The Last Castle.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
In the Loop - 7/10 - Great wartime political satire. Every performance was great, with the obvious standout of Peter Capaldi as Malcolm Tucker. What a smorgasbord of delicious profanity. Gandolfini was the only one who felt a little out of place, and his delivery made me feel like he was reprising parts of his character from The Last Castle.

Man, Capaldi was so awesome. Waiting for this to come out on Blu-ray in Canada. :hmm:

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
There was a preview for a movie I saw before avatar or sherlock holmes that I can't for the life of me find. I remember it having a pretty decent list of some actors I really like but I can't remember anything else besides I thought the plot looked kind of dumb. I've looked at every trailer I could find, every imdb page I could think of but nothing lol. I don't know if I've passed it by without realizing or what. Its been killing me for weeks

CoinOperatedBoy

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2008
There was a preview for a movie I saw before avatar or sherlock holmes that I can't for the life of me find. I remember it having a pretty decent list of some actors I really like but I can't remember anything else besides I thought the plot looked kind of dumb. I've looked at every trailer I could find, every imdb page I could think of but nothing lol. I don't know if I've passed it by without realizing or what. Its been killing me for weeks

Maybe you should, I dunno, describe it? :\ "Plot looked kind of dumb"? What was happening?

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

Shutter Island? Wolfman? Valentine's Day? The Expendables? Kick-ass? Scott Pilgrim? Green Zone? Alice in Wonderland? Predators? Inception?

I can keep going...

KT

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Shutter Island? Wolfman? Valentine's Day? The Expendables? Kick-ass? Scott Pilgrim? Green Zone? Alice in Wonderland? Predators? Inception?

I can keep going...

KT

I'm impacient to see what Shutter Island will be like. It's strange, the trailer makes it seem like any one of a dozen Ho-Hum horror films. But Scorsese, DiCaprio, Ruffalo, Kingsly, and more :eek: <yoda>Much potential this one has!</yoda> I just hope it IS better than the trailer makes it look, but then Scorsese rarely lets you down (never for me yet, though I never saw Gangs of NY).

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I'm impacient to see what Shutter Island will be like. It's strange, the trailer makes it seem like any one of a dozen Ho-Hum horror films. But Scorsese, DiCaprio, Ruffalo, Kingsly, and more :eek: <yoda>Much potential this one has!</yoda> I just hope it IS better than the trailer makes it look, but then Scorsese rarely lets you down (never for me yet, though I never saw Gangs of NY).

Gangs was good, I liked it, and they just fixed the Blu-ray apparently, so worth watching now.

I feel as if I have been seeing the Shutter Island trailer for over a year now, but yeah, it definitely one I will be seeing.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Maybe you should, I dunno, describe it? :\ "Plot looked kind of dumb"? What was happening?

I really don't remember at all. It may have been vampire/zombie related since there are so many these days and they all look stupid, but I can't find ANYTHING. I've looked through every trailer I could find, and I don't think i've found it. I've searched imdb pages of just about every actor I could think may have been in it and still nothing.

Do they change the trailers they show before movies if I went back to the same theatre/movie?

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I really don't remember at all. It may have been vampire/zombie related since there are so many these days and they all look stupid, but I can't find ANYTHING. I've looked through every trailer I could find, and I don't think i've found it. I've searched imdb pages of just about every actor I could think may have been in it and still nothing.

Do they change the trailers they show before movies if I went back to the same theatre/movie?

If it wasn't that long ago it should be the same trailers. Which movie was it that you paid for?

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
If it wasn't that long ago it should be the same trailers. Which movie was it that you paid for?

I think it was avatar at a clearview cinemas, but it could have been sherlock holmes at an AMC

definitely one of those 2

I feel like I have to be remembering it wrong, because I've watched so many trailers and I don't remember any of them being what I saw

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Extract - 5/10 - commercials looked funny. yeah...commercials lied. basically the funny parts were in the commercials.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I think it was avatar at a clearview cinemas, but it could have been sherlock holmes at an AMC

definitely one of those 2

I feel like I have to be remembering it wrong, because I've watched so many trailers and I don't remember any of them being what I saw

Ironman 2, Tron:Legacy, Shrek Forever After, Piranha 3D ?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Far Cry - 2/10 - Did Uwe Boll even play Far Cry? Besides the names of the characters, did he even get anything right?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The Informant! - 5/10: I don't know what to say about this movie. I mean, it wasn't that great but it wasn't god awful. I guess I just didn't find it very interesting.

Extract - 5/10 - commercials looked funny. yeah...commercials lied. basically the funny parts were in the commercials.

Extract was a pretty awful movie overall. Maybe 2/10 mostly for the Mila Kunis eye candy.

MAKENITO

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2009
Blood and Bone: 5 / 10 - Fighting was good, some cringey moments but I liked it.

Gamer: 7/10 - I thought this movie was clever. I thought the techy bits in it were pretty amazing. The storyline was good, movie was gruesome, psycho - and the acting was very good.

Snatch: 8/10 - Very funny. I thought this movie was just silly - but very well done. Oh yah, Brad Pitt topless def gets extra points. Oh, and Transporter guy (Mark? Mike? fark, cant remember.. yes google is my friend blah blah) clothed or unclothed gets uber extra points:p Snatch isnt the type of movie I would generally watch, but Im glad I did:D

Why Did I Get Married: 8/10 Im a big fan of Tyler Perry movies. This movie made for a great Chick Flick night - a little bit everything, had us fuming, laughing, crying - a great Feel Good movie:)

KT - did you end up watching Lovely Bones? apologies if you have already posted about it - cant find it. What did you think?

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
KT - did you end up watching Lovely Bones? apologies if you have already posted about it - cant find it. What did you think?

Yep:

The Lovely Bones - 3.5/10: Wow, what a disappointment. Now, I've never read the novel, but this film is so disjointed, it really seems to not have a clue what it wants to be. There are all these elements of various styles of movies, but none of them come through and take over, so you are left with a muddled mess of a movie. As I was watching I actually thought to myself that the movie would be so much better if the entire supernatural element was completely removed, it really did not seem to serve any real purpose and even brought in an annoying character with a horribly inconsistent accent and one of the cheesiest sappiest parts of the movie. There were a few good, tense scenes, all involving the highlight of the film Stanley Tucci, but aside from those parts it was not good at all. In fact this movie almost makes me angry the more I think about it, considering how much I was looking forward to a new Peter Jackson film. Arrggghh. Oh yeah, the music was horrendous as well. Arrggghh again.

:(

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Gutted, and so true. Really Really hated the fantasy shyte. Oh Gawd and how about the "she's in the in between" part??? I wanted to scream.

I didnt really notice the music though.

Yeah, the in-between parts were painful. In a way this almost made me want to read the book, to see how it all comes together there, but I think I will need the taste of this movie to wear off before I do that.

KT

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Yeah, the in-between parts were painful. In a way this almost made me want to read the book, to see how it all comes together there, but I think I will need the taste of this movie to wear off before I do that.

KT

Not sure I would bother. Peter Jackson seems to have proven that he's prerry good at adapting written works to film so if there is a fault it's probably also in the book. A quick look at the wiki article on the book shows that while reviews were generally positive there were some strong negatives including:

Philip Hensher - the novel was "very readable" but "ultimately it seems like a slick, overpoweringly saccharine and unfeeling exercise in sentiment and whimsy".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lovely_Bones

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Let The Right One in - 9/10 - Interesting take on a vampire theme and really just a fantastic movie. Lina Leandersson as Eli really commands your attention every time she is on screen. Both kids were great actually. So much so that it leaves you wanting more.

Yup, fantastic movie everyone should watch before they release a terrible American remake.

2012 - 6/10
Crap.
Very nice CG crap, but still crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.