NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Strange Days - 5.5/10: I heard this recommended on one of the movie podcasts I listen to (can't remember which one) and while I didn't truly dislike the movie, I found it pretty average and definitely overly long (really needed to shave 20-30 minutes of this one). The writing was also pretty clunky, particularly the dialogue, which was absolutely painful at times. I did enjoy aspects of this, some of the action sequences were good and I liked when things went first person through the use of the skullcap thingy, but there were a lot of missed opportunities here; could have been so much more enjoyable.

KT

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
When We Were Kings 8.5/10

It's a documentary about the Ali/Foreman "Rumble in the Jungle", which is probably something a lot of people here were alive to experience but I was born in 87. So it was really cool to me to see Ali in his prime and begin to understand his cult of personality and what an influential figure he was, and see a side of Foreman I never really even knew existed. Like these were guys that I'd heard of but by the time I was aware of them they weren't really that culturally present any more.

Just watching Ali speak in an interview or to the crowd is fascinating, even if he is a little bit ignorant and even racist in his own right. The musical performances are good, especially BB King who is great, and the folks they interview are generally at least candid if nothing else. Some of the older footage they include from managers/family/friends are really dumb and rambling, but Spike Lee and the sports writers and some of the citizens included are good listens. It does a good job creating drama and tension even when you know what the ultimate result already is.

Probably less interesting to those who were around to see it first hand, but to me it was awesome to step into that period and that atmosphere.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
^^ quality documentary, especially if you are a boxing fan. :thumbsup:

I saw a preview screening of a dramedy that comes out at the end of September. Apparently I am not supposed to review it (not sure how they would know), but we both really liked it. Girl bawled her eyes out and I laughed quite a bit (it did get dusty in a few parts too).

KT

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Strange Days - 5.5/10: I heard this recommended on one of the movie podcasts I listen to (can't remember which one) and while I didn't truly dislike the movie, I found it pretty average and definitely overly long ...
It's like Brainstorm, where they relied too much on the audience being fascinated by the technology.
( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085271/ )

The Tourist - 6.5/10. Mostly harmless. I did like it better than Salt though, at least until the ending.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
I Love you Phillip Morris - 8/10

Jim Carrey proves once again that he can act in a serious role and Ewan McGregor did a commendable job as a gay man from Texas. Carrey and McGregor carry this movie on their shoulders. The story has a bunch of flaws which are really hard to miss... but the chemistry going on between Carrey and McGregor is really amazing.. credit goes to person in charge of casting.

13 Assassins - 9/10

This is the best action movie I have seen this year. Everything is done perfectly - The acting, costumes, set pieces.

In the words of Roger Ebert : "13 Assassins" has what many action pictures need, a villain who transcends evil and ascends to a realm of barbaric madness.

Every character has a rightful place in the movie, there was not a single scene that goes to waste.. and the final fight, at around 55 mins, never feels long and I never seem to get tired of it. Lots of blood and gore too.

tboo

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2000
I just watched the movie Ironclad. Holy shit was it bloody! Not an oscar winner, but definitely enjoyable if you like mass carnage.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
So I watched The Switch - 4.5/10 last night (don't bother watching it). The only reason I really watched it is because of my unhealthy fascination with Jennifer Aniston. It's a typical rom-com...tries to be unique but it fell flat.

Anyway Jeff Goldblum is in this. Doesn't anyone actually think this guy can act? At all? The only thing I can think of him in that he was semi-decent was Jurassic Park and only because he plays a self absorbed neurotic character, which he seems to be anyway. Anyway...that's my mini-rant about Goldblum. I don't know why they keep putting him into movies, but I wish they'd stop (and TV shows for that matter...he was TERRIBLE on Law and Order).

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Rango- 6.5 / 10: Different and forgettable. This movie is meant for kids? Lots of tongue-in-cheek references for adults.

Source Code- 8 / 10: Very well done. Like most, I agree the ending shouldn't have been too stretched and finished after the
final eight minutes and the freeze
. Many people trash this movie saying it has lots of plot holes. I don't think there are any that are detrimental to the plot. You just have to pay attention to what's really happening. I thoroughly enjoyed it and really felt for the Gyllenhal.

Also this movie opens up a good debate.
Should Goodwin have unplugged his life support? If his memory is reset, he's not suffering forever. She made a very short-sighted decision that could save thousands and millions of lives in the future. I actually agree with what she did, but it's good to debate the other side.

Taxi Driver 7/10: Yea, yea, another Scorsese film that everyone overhyped. I got the plot, and the artistic portrayal of the writer's own experience, and the ending that could be interpreted in several ways. But it is indeed overrated. It simply wasn't engrossing enough. I appreciated NYC in the 70s, before it got all family-friendly. But that has nothing to do with the movie's actual purpose. Forgettable at best.

Godfather I 9.5/10: A great movie. This movie set the path for all the iconic scenes. As a relative youngster (I'm 29), I was shocked to see how Marlon Brando portrayed Don Corleone so well. Marlon is completely different in real life. Awesome job with the cotton balls in his cheeks and creating a totally convincing persona. This movie had it all: the mob universe, intense suspense, family drama, & beautiful Sicily.

If I had watched this earlier in my teens, it would've became one of my top movies (due to nostalgia and impressionable factor) along Braveheart, Shawshank, and T2 (hehe).

Godfather II- 9/10: Many people say they like 2 better than original. I disagree. 2 is an amazing film that focuses on intense unweaving of the plot and explores the origins of Vito Corleone. But I gotta say, the original painted all the iconic traditions of the mob universe. You simply can't beat Marlon Brando. Also I've always known Di Nero in his older age, but he's fucking pimp good looking as a 30 yo Vito. Holy shit.

Godfather III - Watching it soon. My expectations are low.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
So either I've lost my sense of humor between 2000 and now, or the new Futurama sucks ass.

Sometimes shit just ends up sucking because you got used to it, or the wow factor wore off despite the product being the same.

I fucking loved Family Guy when it was cancelled as a college kid. It got renewed and it's just the same, but I personally lost interest simply because I got used to it.

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
Rise of Planet of the Apes is perhaps the second best movie in the series and only out shined by Heston's original.
8 of 10

pookguy88

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2001
The Help - 7/10

Just saw it this past weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Reason for the 7, saw Planet of the Apes last weekend and that was a solid 8, this was not as strong, IMO, but definitely a good movie. I absolutely love period pieces set in the South in this era. Acting was good and the 2.5 hours definitely goes by fast. Emma Stone seems to be an up and coming A-lister. Bryce Howard Dallas and Jessica Chastain have the exact same look, would not have been able to tell them apart if it weren't for their differing hair color.
Anyways, good movie if you like the genre.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Rango- 6.5 / 10: Different and forgettable. This movie is meant for kids? Lots of tongue-in-cheek references for adults.

Pretty much all of those CGI movies have tons of adult references. I saw Rango and I'd probably give it a 6/10. CGI was very good and I loved the wild west theme, but overall the story was pretty forgettable.

Tron: Legacy - 6/10 - I was expecting more. It was fairly boring.

The Town - 8/10 - I enjoyed this movie. Action scenes were pretty well done. Story was pretty good too.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Tron: Legacy - 7.5/10: Probably the most stunning turn of events this year as I actually really enjoyed this movie and I expected to hate it. Maybe my brain was exhausted from working all day, but damn, this looked (and sounded, what an amazing soundtrack and I cranked that 5.1 DTS sounds all the way up as I watched; very immersive) absolutely amazing and it took me back to when I was a kid and absolutely infatuated with Tron. It was definitely flawed, mainly from a story standpoint as the entire impetus for the antagonist made little sense and how he was planning to execute his plan was completely illogical, but most everything else was enjoyable. I also have to say I take back all of the bad things I said about Olivia Wilde she looked amazing in this; must have been the haircut, which really suited her. One other quick note, I was very disappointed in the young Bridges CGI; I think I would have been ok with it if they had not tried to show him in the real world and just showed him as a CGI character in the grid, but man, it was not very good and a bit disconcerting. Anyway, I really enjoyed this and you are welcome to take away my movie watching card now. :D

Dead Reckoning - 7.5/10: Probably the last film noir I'll catch from the marathon they've been playing at the Cinematheque and while it was nowhere near the best one I saw, it was still pretty good. Humphrey Bogart is recently returned from the army and is trying to track down his friend; of course various nefarious things unfold, with various nefarious characters, including a dame with suspicious character. Bogart is great as always (I say this even though I've only seen a small handful of his movies, but he is generally quite good) and the overall story is fun with its twists and turns. It slowed in a couple of spots, but a pretty fun flick overall.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
So I watched The Switch - 4.5/10 last night (don't bother watching it). The only reason I really watched it is because of my unhealthy fascination with Jennifer Aniston. It's a typical rom-com...tries to be unique but it fell flat.

Anyway Jeff Goldblum is in this. Doesn't anyone actually think this guy can act? At all? The only thing I can think of him in that he was semi-decent was Jurassic Park and only because he plays a self absorbed neurotic character, which he seems to be anyway. Anyway...that's my mini-rant about Goldblum. I don't know why they keep putting him into movies, but I wish they'd stop (and TV shows for that matter...he was TERRIBLE on Law and Order).

I've heard this is truly terribad, but no talking shit about Goldblum. I love that guy!

Source Code- 8 / 10: Very well done. Like most, I agree the ending shouldn't have been too stretched and finished after the
final eight minutes and the freeze
. Many people trash this movie saying it has lots of plot holes. I don't think there are any that are detrimental to the plot. You just have to pay attention to what's really happening. I thoroughly enjoyed it and really felt for the Gyllenhal.

Also this movie opens up a good debate.
Should Goodwin have unplugged his life support? If his memory is reset, he's not suffering forever. She made a very short-sighted decision that could save thousands and millions of lives in the future. I actually agree with what she did, but it's good to debate the other side.

Yeah, I found that a little strange; I suppose by that point she was very attached to Gyllenhaal, but you're right, she essentially killed the program by doing that.

KT

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
I've heard this is truly terribad, but no talking shit about Goldblum. I love that guy!

KT
He's the exact same character in EVERY thing he does! The same pauses 35 times in every sentence. The same neurotic attitude.

And....I'm done. lol. One of those actors I can't possibly understand why someone would like him. There are very few of those. But to each their own I guess.

Nov 7, 2000
The Road - 8.0/10 - Just well done. Well acted, great environments. Some typical elements for the genre, some unique ones. Plot was a little aimless, but that really reflected the character's situation and you still attach to them. Some intriguing themes, lots of opportunity for 'what would you do' hypotheticals.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
He's the exact same character in EVERY thing he does! The same pauses 35 times in every sentence. The same neurotic attitude.

And....I'm done. lol. One of those actors I can't possibly understand why someone would like him. There are very few of those. But to each their own I guess.

Heh, I went and looked up his filmography after I posted because I really only remembered him from The Fly (which he is perfect in) and I realize now I've only seen him in a few things, but I've liked him in all of them (ID4, Igby Goes Down, and Life Aquatic). He is kind of the same in a lot of them, but I guess I like that character. :D

KT

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Heh, I went and looked up his filmography after I posted because I really only remembered him from The Fly (which he is perfect in) and I realize now I've only seen him in a few things, but I've liked him in all of them (ID4, Igby Goes Down, and Life Aquatic). He is kind of the same in a lot of them, but I guess I like that character. :D

KT
You like him, I like Emile Hirsch....so I guess we have our differences. :p

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
oh god, there was a "the fly" 2.

I liked him in ID4(never saw that abbreviation, I like it). Jurassic Park also. Lucky for him to get those blockbusters, otherwise he would be pretty unknown. But yeah, his character is always the same. I guess that's why he hasn't had too many good roles lately

but there's one reason I do hate him....

090612ptr_jeffgoldblum_004.jpg

Tania Raymonde. Alex Rousseau from LOST

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
She's 10 years younger than me and like, what, 30 years younger than him?

FUCKING SHIT I AM AN OLD MAN NOW! And not successful enough to get babes half my age.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
You like him, I like Emile Hirsch....so I guess we have our differences. :p

Oh right. Yikes. D: ... :D

oh god, there was a "the fly" 2.

I liked him in ID4(never saw that abbreviation, I like it). Jurassic Park also. Lucky for him to get those blockbusters, otherwise he would be pretty unknown. But yeah, his character is always the same. I guess that's why he hasn't had too many good roles lately

but there's one reason I do hate him....

Tania Raymonde. Alex Rousseau from LOST

I have not seen Jurassic Park, but people seem to like him in that. That girl is hot and I think she's one of those girls that looks better without a tonne of make-up and kind of sweaty and dirty. She looked crazy hot on Lost, but I see some of the red carpet shots and whatnot and she looks a bit less hot. Attractive lady to be sure.

KT

Status
Not open for further replies.