NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Everything Must Go - 7/10

Not at all what I expected. There were some solid performances
and I think it said a lot about the life struggles we all have at some point in our life.
Not too much of a spoiler, but it was nice to be surprised about the movie as a whole, which doesn't happen that often. Like "I love you phillip morris", I thought that was a tobacco expose before I watched it, lol.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Hobo with a Shotgun
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1640459/
9/10

Canadian Indie film. Reminds me of Trailer park boys in ohh so many ways.
I like the over-saturated colors and camera work, looks very very nice. The acting is generally not so good, but, in this case, perfect for the subject matter. I cracked up laughing quite a few times when watching this gem. I love the little cameo by Ricky from TPB. This film is good, damn good.

13 Assasins (remake)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1436045/
10/10

HOLY FVCKBALLS. It's like Seven Samurai meets 300. The first hour or so is all setup, basicly showing how they piece together their forces (like in Seven Samurai) and also showing just how fvcking evil their target is. pace is nice and slow at first. If you are going into the movie expecting instant action movie, then you will be disappointed. There is a LOT of dialogue that takes place here. Eventually, after all the setup, we get lots of wonderfully choreographed fighting scenes. Cinematography is top notch, acting is good across the board. While this is completely different from anything else Miike has ever done, it's still very obviously a Miike movie.

This film completely exceeded my expectations in just about every way. Best Samurai film in at least 25 years. Double plus awesome.

mcurphy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2003
13 Assasins (remake)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1436045/
10/10

HOLY FVCKBALLS. It's like Seven Samurai meets 300. The first hour or so is all setup, basicly showing how they piece together their forces (like in Seven Samurai) and also showing just how fvcking evil their target is. pace is nice and slow at first. If you are going into the movie expecting instant action movie, then you will be disappointed. There is a LOT of dialogue that takes place here. Eventually, after all the setup, we get lots of wonderfully choreographed fighting scenes. Cinematography is top notch, acting is good across the board. While this is completely different from anything else Miike has ever done, it's still very obviously a Miike movie.

This film completely exceeded my expectations in just about every way. Best Samurai film in at least 25 years. Double plus awesome.

Awesome! I loved Seven Samurai, and now I can't wait to see this one!

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Predator 2. I felt myself becoming gradually more retarded throughout the movie's duration, and listening to the credits and reading people's opinions on it I had an actual emotional breakdown where I shouted "Fuck, I can't take any more of this!" and ejected the DVD. Too much dark shit that I couldn't see, every predator encounter was dragged out for far more than needed, every character had a terrible persona and equally bad acting, I mean it fucking sucks. Generally I'm more tolerant of mediocre sequels than others but this was Alien: Resurrection bad.

EDIT: 0/10.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Red State (and an evening with Kevin Smith) - 7.5/10: Went to this last Thursday; can't believe I forgot to review it here. Been so busy recently. Anyway, as an overall experience, I would probably give this an 8.5 or so since I still find Smith to be a very charismatic, interesting individual and he is quite good at telling a story. So I really liked all of the spoken word part (he introduced the film for about 10 minutes, then did a 2.5 hour Q&A afterwards) aside from the fans asking questions, who were just awkward and obnoxious. As for the film itself, it's being billed as a horror film, but I'd really call it more of a darkly comedic action thriller. I was very nervous at the beginning of the film because the opening scene is painfully bad, but once things got moving along I started to get into it and once John Goodman showed up, I was sold as he was pretty awesome and shit really hits the fan shortly thereafter. Most of the other performances were decent and while it has some shortcomings in the build-up (also, the camera work was a little off-putting at times), I have to say I liked it overall. IT certainly does not feel like a Kevin Smith film which can be good or bad depending on how you feel about the guy.

The African Queen - 6.5/10: 1951 film starring Bogart (playing a Canadian in an Oscar winning performance!) and Hepburn following Bogart as a small boat captain who ends up taking on Hepburn (a missionary) after her brother dies. The take a long ride down the river, develop their relationship, and plot to take down a German boat. I liked this enough, and about 99% of the reason I liked it was Bogart; he was freaking awesome as the drunk captain and while I was somewhat unconvinced by some of the relationship parts and even the final climax of the film, there was enough from Bogart and to a far lesser extent Hepburn, to keep me interested.

Skyline - 2/10: Good lord what a piece of shit. I don't really have much else to say, but this hits every cliché it possibly could, has horrible acting (they really would have been better off casting all unknown actors, rather than shitty third-tier actors from TV), and abysmal dialogue. I toughed it out to end of the film (which also made no real sense, but I guess was trying to set up for a sequel?) but I did not enjoy the ride there. I'm giving it a 2 because I thought some of the effects were pretty decent, but that is not enough to make an enjoyable film.

KT

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Pirates of the Carribean- On Stranger Tides 6.5/10

Fun to watch, like all the movies in this franchise, but it's starting to feel like a retread.

Oh look, Jack is escaping by swinging on something.

Oh look, Depp (who I love, don't get me wrong) is making that one face again where his eyes go back and forth.

Oh look, it's the human cockroach from the Stones doing a lame cameo.

Even Rush and Ian McShane couldn't really prop up the story IMHO.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Predator 2. I felt myself becoming gradually more retarded throughout the movie's duration, and listening to the credits and reading people's opinions on it I had an actual emotional breakdown where I shouted "Fuck, I can't take any more of this!" and ejected the DVD. Too much dark shit that I couldn't see, every predator encounter was dragged out for far more than needed, every character had a terrible persona and equally bad acting, I mean it fucking sucks. Generally I'm more tolerant of mediocre sequels than others but this was Alien: Resurrection bad.

EDIT: 0/10.

Is this the one in the city with Danny Glover? I can't remember exactly, but I recall disliking it when I was a kid if that's the right movie. :hmm: I did, however, like Alien: Resurrection.

I can't read this without smiling :D

Haha, I'm envious. I have the 13 Assassins Blu sitting on my shelf here, but my TV is out of commission for a couple of days while I paint, so no Blu-rays for me. :(

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Don't tell me you went out of your way to watch Skyline....I was meaning to ask about that. What possessed you to watch that? :hmm:

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Haha, I'm envious. I have the 13 Assassins Blu sitting on my shelf here, but my TV is out of commission for a couple of days while I paint, so no Blu-rays for me. :(

KT

That is sad. Seriously.. it is an awesome movie, a must watch.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Raising Genius - 1/10

Even if you are a Justin Long fan, skip this one. It was terrible. The writing, camera work, acting, directing, were all terrible. I honestly can't say a positive thing about it, which is quite rare.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Don't tell me you went out of your way to watch Skyline....I was meaning to ask about that. What possessed you to watch that? :hmm:

I get all of the movie channels as part of my cable package, so I DVR all kinds of random shit to watch for when I'm tired late at night. Sometimes it works out, but other times it's Skyline. :D

That is sad. Seriously.. it is an awesome movie, a must watch.

Hopefully this weekend!

KT

goobernoodles

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2005
Hobo with a Shotgun
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1640459/
9/10

Canadian Indie film. Reminds me of Trailer park boys in ohh so many ways.
I like the over-saturated colors and camera work, looks very very nice. The acting is generally not so good, but, in this case, perfect for the subject matter. I cracked up laughing quite a few times when watching this gem. I love the little cameo by Ricky from TPB. This film is good, damn good.
LOL I watched that movie last night. So bad. 9/10? Yeesh. Hahaha

It was entertainingly bad though. I guess I can't really say too much as I was kinda drunk and not really paying attention.

goobernoodles

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2005
Raising Genius - 1/10

Even if you are a Justin Long fan, skip this one. It was terrible. The writing, camera work, acting, directing, were all terrible. I honestly can't say a positive thing about it, which is quite rare.
That douchebag has fans?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Priest - 6.5 / 10 - action movie with kung fu priests fighting vampires. Dumb but it was still fun to watch with properly lowered expectations.

It's no Hobo With A Shotgun, but you can't expect to see movies of that quality every week.

BrownShoes

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2008
Fright Night - 7/10

The original Fright Night wasn't a smash at the box office but it became something of a cult hit. This update carries over some of the same themes and works as a hybrid of horror and comedy. In this film, lots of people disappear in a neighborhood and, just like in the original, a vampire moves in right next door. That's gotta suck!
The movie was fast-paced and fun, there weren't too many dull moments and the ending was satsyfying. Definitely a good time.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Psychoville (TV Show) - 8/10 - Hilarious British comedy about people who used to be in an insane asylum/mental hospital. From the creators of League of Gentlemen.

The League of Gentleman (TV Show) - 8/10- Hilarious British comedy about people in a small town.

The League of Gentlemen - Apocalypse - 8/10 - Movie involving the characters from The League of Gentleman after the series had ended.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
We Were Soldiers - 10/10: As much as I wanted to not like this movie due to The Mel Gibson Factor, it's still one of the best war movies I've ever seen. In my opinion there's nothing here that's even slightly unbelievable. And while it's tough to do character development in a matter of moments, somehow I still really felt like a lot of these innumberable guys dying in an ambush are known to me; I care that they're getting blown up on a level more than just basic human compassion.

Maybe part of my fondness for this film is due to my dad serving in Vietnam on the ground and from what I know, seeing a lot of really horrible shit - having his friends die, the sad and ubiquitous story of a lot of guys his age. I dunno though. This was a very good watch I didn't really know much about and had no expecations of.

Rise of the Plant of the Apes - 9/10: What a nice movie! Living in a data center for half the year has removed me from a lot of the promotion for these big summer movies, so going into this I had no expectations. I hated the old Charlton Heston ape movies as a kid, so when my wife's parents suggested we all see this I was worried. For no reason, as it turns out - this was a very good 2 hours spent.

30 minutes or Less - 5.5/10: Mildly-retarded yet somewhat-heartwarming comedy that I would not recommend spending full price on. The somewhat-heartwarming qualities far outweight the comedy in this. It's just not that funny. I love Kenny Powers and thought The Foot Fist Way was hilarious, but the shtick here is contrived at best, and the fact that his character just isn't that likeable doesn't help. The most I can muster is a slight feeling of pity for him, and that's not enough to keep me that interested.

Jesse Eisenburg turns in a turd of a performance - has he enrolled in the William Shatner School of Overacting? I liked him in The Social Network but this just wasn't his best showing.

I did see the trailer for this one and the funniest parts are in it. Skip it until video.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
We Were Soldiers - 10/10: As much as I wanted to not like this movie due to The Mel Gibson Factor, it's still one of the best war movies I've ever seen. In my opinion there's nothing here that's even slightly unbelievable. And while it's tough to do character development in a matter of moments, somehow I still really felt like a lot of these innumberable guys dying in an ambush are known to me; I care that they're getting blown up on a level more than just basic human compassion.

Maybe part of my fondness for this film is due to my dad serving in Vietnam on the ground and from what I know, seeing a lot of really horrible shit - having his friends die, the sad and ubiquitous story of a lot of guys his age. I dunno though. This was a very good watch I didn't really know much about and had no expecations of.

Great movie. I think the beauty of the film comes with showing it from both sides of the battle. It's rare for a war movie to show the enemy (non-American) side the same light as the "good guys" and I think WWS did it very well. Made the movie that much better IMO.

mcurphy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2003

Excellent movie. I have only seen it once, the year it was released, but I remember absolutely loving the film afterwards. I need to rewatch this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.