NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
First, when two people are having a conversation in a movie and the camera is behind the person talking, facing the other person, I can't stand when the audio is clearly not synced up with the video. It's like sometimes they don't even try, or they aren't even talking at all.

It is fucking irritating. I observed in a lot of movies and recently in Horrible Bosses.. turns me off pretty bad.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - 8.5/10: Surprisingly awesome movie. I thought the entire story of Caesar and his development was very well done; I became very invested in his story and even though you generally know how things are going, it was never boring. The human relationships are a bit stunted (particularly between Franco and Freida Pinto, who is freaking gorgeous by the way) but this movie is about Caesar and everything surrounding him is awesome. Great action and overall just a lot of fun. Some cool shots of Vancouver too!

I was surprised as well. The movie is engaging.. although I did not care for human characters.

The scene where Caesar first speaks is very well done, and also the final action scene was good too.. really felt involved in that one.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
It's Kind of a Funny Story - 9/10 - I really liked this movie. Yeah its kind of cliched but I thought it was really well done.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Cool, I have been avoiding this movie due to the reviews, but your review is reassuring. I'm looking forward to watching it now.

Well the guy would have been dead anyways. He died in the explosion in the real world, and he would have been dead in the new alternate world if Jake hadn't taken over his body to save everyone else. So that new life Jake has taken over, never would have even existed if it weren't for Jake.

Plus it's a quantum reality, of limitless realities.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Attack the Block - 8/10:

This was a fun movie. Great balance of comedy and action. It was pretty well casted. The couple more well knowns were great, and the leader of the gang, Moses, was awesome, and according to imdb this was his first movie. The rest of the kids aren't bad either.

The special effects were toned down, nothing extreme, but it was well done imo. It's a pretty short movie and I had a lot of fun with it. The end very strangely mirrors some of the themes of the ongoing England riots, sorta, I thought that was interesting.

Oh man, been wanting to see this since I first heard about a few months ago but it's not showing up here for some reason. :(

I was surprised as well. The movie is engaging.. although I did not care for human characters.

The scene where Caesar first speaks is very well done, and also the final action scene was good too.. really felt involved in that one.

Yep, those scenes were great. Caesar as a character was actually pretty awesome. This film has to be the biggest surprise of the summer for me.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
It just showed up on Friday here. That's when I went, 6:50 showing, maybe 12 or 15 people were there. Two couples with a youngish kid, one walked out since there is a good amount of cursing.

That started playing, as well as The Guard

Saw a trailer for Drive when I was there. Looks like something that people might be watching for a while, sort of 80s/90s old school cult status

Last edited:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Rise of the apes - 9/10. Very well done, especially with main ape character, Oscar. Will watch the sequence for sure. The Slum dog millionaire female actress was in it.

30 minutes - 7/10. Similar as Pineapple Express, not really buddy film, not action movie, not comedy, just kinda a little bit of each. Hot, hot, hot female lead character (the sister).

Capt. America - 7.5/10. Hydra must be low on cash because all the guys they hired can't fight nor shoot. Hyrda main bad dude should keep his mask on. I read Vanity Fair yesterday and there were some pictures of the main female actress in it. She looked totally different (much better) in the magazine pages than in the film.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Woman in the Window - 7/10: Fritz Lang's noir film from 1944 about a guy (Edward G. Robinson, who was great) who gets involved with a woman he sees in a painting, leading to shenanigans. This was actually a pretty slow movie, particularly in the beginning, but once it got going I was pretty into it. There are some fun sequences and an interesting ending, you just need to get through the first bits before it gets moving.

Laura - 9/10: Another film noir (there's a festival running at the local Cinematheque); this one from Otto Preminger in 1944. Awesome movie. A woman is murdered early on and the guy investigating starts to fall for her, even though he's never met her. It's a great story with several twists and turns and with fantastic dialogue, which is the hallmark of a truly great noir film. Great acting, including a performance from Vincent Price (so odd for me to see him as a strapping young lad and outside of a horror film). The Detective and the aristocratic columnist are the best characters and they really command the screen every time they are in the scene. Huge fan of this one, with only a few minor quibbles with how things end.

All The President's Men - 8.5/10: I actually saw this when I was a kid as my Mom told me it was a very important movie, but as with most things my Mom told me, I completely forgot everything about this film so I watched it on Blu-ray last night. I loved the somewhat minimalist approach to the film as at times it almost felt like a documentary, with no music and only the clacking of typewriters as you watch something transpire. Of course I knew the whole story already, but seeing it dramatized here was great as everyone involved did a pretty awesome job. The perseverance of Woodward and Bernstein, going door-to-door trying to get information from the little guys in order to put together a bigger story and getting deeper and deeper into the muck of it all. I thought the ending was a little odd and abrupt, but aside from that I really enjoyed it.

KT

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Skyline 5/10 - Hrm... I had nothing else to watch and saw it on Netflix Streaming. Ya know, it really wasn't "that" bad of a movie. I kinda liked it. Could easily score another 2 points if it wasn't for the last 7-10 minutes of the movie. If you decide to watch it, just turn it off at about this point. Nothing good can come from you watching further.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Skyline 5/10 - Hrm... I had nothing else to watch and saw it on Netflix Streaming. Ya know, it really wasn't "that" bad of a movie. I kinda liked it. Could easily score another 2 points if it wasn't for the last 7-10 minutes of the movie. If you decide to watch it, just turn it off at about this point. Nothing good can come from you watching further.

Never seen it but my friend likes whoever the actor is that plays the main character has declared this movie to be the WOAT.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Never seen it but my friend likes whoever the actor is that plays the main character has declared this movie to be the WOAT.

Yeah, it was fairly bad. I don't know that guy's name, but I've never seen him in anything good. Also have to give up on the
design of the aliens. Not trying to be disgusting or anything, but they were obviosly modeled after a sloppy vagina.
Just say'in.

Last edited:

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
The Woman in the Window - 7/10: Fritz Lang's noir film from 1944 about a guy (Edward G. Robinson, who was great) who gets involved with a woman he sees in a painting, leading to shenanigans. This was actually a pretty slow movie, particularly in the beginning, but once it got going I was pretty into it. There are some fun sequences and an interesting ending, you just need to get through the first bits before it gets moving.

Laura - 9/10: Another film noir (there's a festival running at the local Cinematheque); this one from Otto Preminger in 1944. Awesome movie. A woman is murdered early on and the guy investigating starts to fall for her, even though he's never met her. It's a great story with several twists and turns and with fantastic dialogue, which is the hallmark of a truly great noir film. Great acting, including a performance from Vincent Price (so odd for me to see him as a strapping young lad and outside of a horror film). The Detective and the aristocratic columnist are the best characters and they really command the screen every time they are in the scene. Huge fan of this one, with only a few minor quibbles with how things end.

All The President's Men - 8.5/10: I actually saw this when I was a kid as my Mom told me it was a very important movie, but as with most things my Mom told me, I completely forgot everything about this film so I watched it on Blu-ray last night. I loved the somewhat minimalist approach to the film as at times it almost felt like a documentary, with no music and only the clacking of typewriters as you watch something transpire. Of course I knew the whole story already, but seeing it dramatized here was great as everyone involved did a pretty awesome job. The perseverance of Woodward and Bernstein, going door-to-door trying to get information from the little guys in order to put together a bigger story and getting deeper and deeper into the muck of it all. I thought the ending was a little odd and abrupt, but aside from that I really enjoyed it.

KT

All three added to queue. The Lang is the only one available to stream. Interesting, I watched a little bit of M again last night

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
All three added to queue. The Lang is the only one available to stream. Interesting, I watched a little bit of M again last night

I really wanted to watch that on the weekend, but I ran out of time. :(

KT

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Source Code - 7.5/10 - the Groundhog Day formula is successful yet again, in an entertaining action film from the director of Moon. Good performances from Jake Gyllenhall and Vera Farmiga.

Battle Los Angeles - 7/10 - dumb fun popcorn movie played totally straight. It's refreshing to watch a cast that isn't acting ironic, postmodern and self-aware. Aaron Eckhart plays a marine staff sgt who does his job no matter what, and is believable in the role.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Well it's about damn time!

Movies2.jpg

KT

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
The Forbidden Kingdom - 7/10 - It's watchable... Fun-ish movie with Jet Li and Jackie Chan.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Gentleman Broncos - 4/10

Saw slayer gave it a quick mention in the older thread. I just watched it last night.

it's from the same writer/director as "Napoleon Dynamite". I started watching GB before I knew that...and thought to myself "this has to be the same writer/director". lol. I'm a big fan of ND but Broncos fell far short. It wasn't very well put together or acted. I'm not sure why Sam Rockwell took the role, but he was the only good thing in it in my opinion. The sci-fi action scenes were...cheesy on purpose, but didn't really work either.

It's very similar in characters and structure to ND though.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Well it's about damn time!

Movies2.jpg

KT

What a lovely sight

Gentleman Broncos - 4/10

Saw slayer gave it a quick mention in the older thread. I just watched it last night.

it's from the same writer/director as "Napoleon Dynamite". I started watching GB before I knew that...and thought to myself "this has to be the same writer/director". lol. I'm a big fan of ND but Broncos fell far short. It wasn't very well put together or acted. I'm not sure why Sam Rockwell took the role, but he was the only good thing in it in my opinion. The sci-fi action scenes were...cheesy on purpose, but didn't really work either.

It's very similar in characters and structure to ND though.

I hope I didn't give the impression that it was a good movie :) I remember that it was pretty bad, but I did like the rockwell stuff. but that's just me

Last edited:

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007
So I finally got an opportunity to go see Planet of the Apes at the theater I work at. Didn't go in with high hopes for the movie, seeing as how it's being released at the end of the summer and just struck me as a "filler" type movie that most studios seem to put out.

I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. It definitely exceeded my expectations, but I just don't think it deserves very high praise. The CGI in a few scenes, as mentioned earlier, really took me out of the movie and had me stopping and questioning what I just watched.

Overall I'd say the movie is about 7/10, but that's being generous.

Also, the trailer for Contagion was shown before PotA.
Anyone else find it extremely odd that you would show a stand alone movie about an infection spread through 1 initial host then goes around the world with no idea how to cure it? Especially since that's one of the major plot points for the ending of PotA?

Mr Smith Goes to Washington - 9/10

Citizen Kane - 9/10

Crazy, Stupid, Love - 8/10. Fellas, if you are single, have a g/f, or are married, this is a GREAT date movie! A good romantic comedy that really didn't take itself to seriously and just blew me away.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
I hope I didn't give the impression that it was a good movie :) I remember that it was pretty bad, but I did like the rockwell stuff. but that's just me

Nah, not at all. I like Rockwell, so that stuff was alright with me too. I should say that Jemaine Clement was pretty good as the writer...the part where he's in class telling them how to choose names for their protagonists was pretty funny stuff.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
LoL yeah I saw the trailer of Contagion too, I think they showed the whole movie in that overly long trailer. Did not interest me at all.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Oh, Red Desert.

I love Antonioni. He puts me to sleep fast, though.

I think I've only seen The Passenger from him, but I thought it was pretty damn awesome, so had to get Red Desert. I'll need to see Blow-Up at some point. :hmm:

KT

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think I've only seen The Passenger from him, but I thought it was pretty damn awesome, so had to get Red Desert. I'll need to see Blow-Up at some point. :hmm:

KT

Blow Up is great.

Also L'Aventurra (I think that was the first Criterion that I bought, actually). but it's sleep-inducing like nothing else.

BrownShoes

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2008
The Help - 7/10

My wife read and loved the book so I had to see it with her. I knew that The Help was second at the weekend box office but I didn't realize it was such a big event. It was sold out at two theaters and nearly sold out at the screening we ended up at. The room was filled with chatty women who it seemed had never been to a theater before because they wouldn't shut up. I only saw one other dude and we sat with our balls tucked in. The movie itself was good and was well acted by all of the principals. The story and pacing were good and there were even some laughs. The Help is a fine way to spend two hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.