NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcurphy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2003
Deadwood Season 1: 9/10 Just finished the 12 episodes of season 1. Excellent series and awesome actors. I love the show so far and the cast of characters.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
The River Why - 7.5/10

Caught this on Showtime or TMC the other night. It was a pretty good drama. It's about Gus leaving his parents and brother to move into a tiny shack along a trout river to spend his days fishing for trout. It's not really a fishing movie...but it pushes the movie forward. Zach Gilford was very good in the role and I guess I could somewhat relate to the character, which made the film more enjoyable to me. The supporting characters were great with William Hurt, Amber Heard and Dallas Roberts being the main ones. Seems the low IMDB rating of just over 6/10 is from a lot of fans of the book, who never actually saw the movie anyway. I've never read the novel so can't compare.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Cave of Forgotten Dreams (3D) - 7/10: Werner Herzog's documentary about the Chauvet caves in France where the oldest cave drawings (over 30,000 years old) done by humans were found. This is a pretty fascinating film and the only reason I am giving it only a 7 is because it really only needed to be an hour long. 60 minutes of this was amazing and absolutely riveting, but there were about 20-25 minutes that seemed unnecessary and even tiresome. The 3D was very cool in a few parts, but overall it was pretty irrelevant same as all 3D movies. Trying to piece together how everything came to be in the cave was also quite interesting and I actually wish Herzog had spent a bit more time on the people studying all of this stuff. Anyway, it was pretty amazing to see these drawings; they are so well preserved that they look as if they were painted yesterday. Obviously a pretty amazing anthropological find.

KT

I heard this was one of the few movies where the 3D actually isn't terrible, and actually adds to the movie. I haven't seen it though, and I'm not sure which way I'd prefer to see it.

The River Why - 7.5/10

Caught this on Showtime or TMC the other night. It was a pretty good drama. It's about Gus leaving his parents and brother to move into a tiny shack along a trout river to spend his days fishing for trout. It's not really a fishing movie...but it pushes the movie forward. Zach Gilford was very good in the role and I guess I could somewhat relate to the character, which made the film more enjoyable to me. The supporting characters were great with William Hurt, Amber Heard and Dallas Roberts being the main ones. Seems the low IMDB rating of just over 6/10 is from a lot of fans of the book, who never actually saw the movie anyway. I've never read the novel so can't compare.

Sounds kinda boring(interestingly so. my kinda movie)

Hammyton

Jul 9, 2002
In The Shadow Of The Moon - 10/10

Inspiring documentary on the Apollo program... I'm not really a space geek but I thought this film was just so well done I would watch it again and again.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I heard this was one of the few movies where the 3D actually isn't terrible, and actually adds to the movie. I haven't seen it though, and I'm not sure which way I'd prefer to see it.

It does indeed have some cool 3D parts, right at the beginning for example, but for the most part I found it unnecessary.

In The Shadow Of The Moon - 10/10

Inspiring documentary on the Apollo program... I'm not really a space geek but I thought this film was just so well done I would watch it again and again.

Yeah, great doc! Feels like you are along for the actual space shuttle ride.

KT

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Sounds kinda boring(interestingly so. my kinda movie)

Haha...yeah, it's that kind of movie. I like character development dramas...and this definitely fits into that category. Sometimes I like a movie that you have to relate to in order to enjoy it. No big explosions, no car chases, no guns.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Demons 6/10
A campy 1985 horror movie from Italy with bad dubbing. If you like bad 80s horror movies you will probably enjoy this one. A bunch of people get a free ticket to a horror movie about a mask that turns people into demons. Of coarse there is a mask in the theater too and as you can guess some idiot puts it on and bam demon. Very corny movie.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Rise of the Planet of the Apes - 8.5/10: Surprisingly awesome movie. I thought the entire story of Caesar and his development was very well done; I became very invested in his story and even though you generally know how things are going, it was never boring. The human relationships are a bit stunted (particularly between Franco and Freida Pinto, who is freaking gorgeous by the way) but this movie is about Caesar and everything surrounding him is awesome. Great action and overall just a lot of fun. Some cool shots of Vancouver too!

The Eclipse - 3.5/10: A small Irish romance/horror/drama surrounding an author who begins to fall for her driver while she is in town and there is an underlying element of the supernatural as she writes about ghosts and the driver has begun to see them. Pretty much a snooze, but I have to admit the brief horror elements were kind of decent and caught me off guard, but that may have been because the rest of it was so boring. It also looked nice in spots, but otherwise, I was very bored and barely made it through even though it was only 88 minutes long.

KT

Albatross

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2001
DS9 -8.5/10 Kinda slow and boring at times but some guys recommended it to me,apparently a major war happens later and things get really interesting,I`m at the end of season 2.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
wow. lot of good reviews for Planet of the Apes.

I don't know why, but I've come to really like John Franco in recent years.

no homo.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
wow. lot of good reviews for Planet of the Apes.

I don't know why, but I've come to really like John Franco in recent years.

no homo.

John Franco??
francomb.jpg

KT

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
i want to see the rise of the apes

BLOOD AND BONE 6.8/10

its about this dude who gets in streets fights for a good cause and he kicks the living shit out of everyone. the story isnt totally solid and some of the acting is cheap but overall it is an entertaining movie. definitely a manly movie but if your girl likes muscles theres plenty in this one.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Have we ever had a movie pet peeves discussion?

There are a couple I've noticed lately that get on my nerves.

First, when two people are having a conversation in a movie and the camera is behind the person talking, facing the other person, I can't stand when the audio is clearly not synced up with the video. It's like sometimes they don't even try, or they aren't even talking at all.

Second, when I'm at the theater and people laugh at dumb shit that isn't funny. Maybe I'm being snobby but it annoys the hell out of me. Two of the last few movies I've seen in the theater, Midnight in Paris and Beginners, as far as I can remember, the parts I laughed the hardest at were moments where I was the only person laughing. So maybe I'm someone else's pet peeve :p

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Beginners - 8/10:
I'm tired so I'll fill this out tomorrow, but until then, Mélanie Laurent, will you marry me? :wub:

Ok I slacked on this big time

I guess you would call this a romantic comedy, but it's not your typical piece of shit version. It stars Ewan McGregor as Oliver, at a time when his dad, who late in life was diagnosed with cancer and then comes out of the closet, has died. That might sound like a spoiler but it's not. The film is about a depressed Oliver who meets Anna, played by Mélanie Laurent. Their story is intertwined with flashbacks/memories of Oliver and his dad, who is played by Christopher Plummer.

The relationship Oliver has with Anna is happy and fun, and dark and sad, and the same can be said about the scenes with Oliver and his dad. It's light and heavy at the same time and it does a good job playing both sides. It's well acted, funny, and it makes you connect with the characters. Good stuff

Hobo with a Shotgun - 8/10:
I liked the above movie a lot more than this, but for what it was, I think it deserves this rating.

Rutger Hauer is a homeless man who comes to new town that's completely over run with violence and evil. He befriends/"adopts" a hooker and he kills a lot of people. That's about it, the story isn't very good, but Hauer plays it perfectly and this movie is pretty much everything that it should be. The best parts imo are some of the kills; there are some really funny and creative ones.
http://www.ebertpresents.com/movies/hobo-with-a-shotgun/videos/140
I just watched the review here and they pretty much nail what I thought about it.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Attack the Block - 8/10:
From the producers of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, Attack the Block follows a gang of tough inner-city kids who try to defend their turf against an invasion of savage alien creatures, turning a South London apartment complex into an extraterrestrial warzone

This was a fun movie. Great balance of comedy and action. It was pretty well casted. The couple more well knowns were great, and the leader of the gang, Moses, was awesome, and according to imdb this was his first movie. The rest of the kids aren't bad either.

The special effects were toned down, nothing extreme, but it was well done imo. It's a pretty short movie and I had a lot of fun with it. The end very strangely mirrors some of the themes of the ongoing England riots, sorta, I thought that was interesting.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I just rented both of these on the same night, and can sum them up as follows:

Tron:Legacy - Nice effects, but ultimately dumb and shallow. Good to see Jeff Bridges reprise his role from the earlier film, but man does he look old.

Wall Street 2 - Nice tie-in to the stock market crisis, but ultimately dumb and shallow. Good to see Michael Douglas reprise his role from the earlier film, but man does he look old.

Status
Not open for further replies.