NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
We Were Soldiers - 10/10: As much as I wanted to not like this movie due to The Mel Gibson Factor, it's still one of the best war movies I've ever seen. In my opinion there's nothing here that's even slightly unbelievable. And while it's tough to do character development in a matter of moments, somehow I still really felt like a lot of these innumberable guys dying in an ambush are known to me; I care that they're getting blown up on a level more than just basic human compassion.

Good movie.
Another good one is "The Thin Red Line" , I watched it again on netflix last night. It really makes the war more personal than most by going into the how the characters are thinking as they are fighting and showing the fear. The parts where they attack the Japanese and the generals ordering them to do a frontal assault even though they know it is sudden death and the officers having to decide to follow orders or refuse. Just a really good film.

Aquila76

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
www.facebook.com
Defendor - 8/10

This was my second watch of this movie. I couldn't get into the first time I watched it, and I'm not really sure why. Woody Harrelson does a good job of being the titular mildly-retarded crime-fighting hero. The breakdown of his backstory that leads to his mission of taking down Captain Industry was done magnificently and helped you feel more pitiable towards Arthur / Defendor. Elias Koteas was great as the corrupt Detective Dooney. Kat Dennings was also a good choice for her role as drugged-out prostitute turned girl with a heart of gold Kat Debrofkowitz. The supporting cast did well in their roles, too. This whole movie, it charcaters, and its plots and subplots really clicked together and was well told and acted.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
In Her Skin - 8/10

This is an Australian movie based on a true story about a 15 year old girl that goes missing. It takes the story from the perspective of the parents, the missing girl, and who the missing girl encounters. It's more of a drama than anything else, but it was an excellently acted movie. Guy Pearce was outstanding, as was Miranda Otto and Ruth Bradley. It's hard to think it was based on a true story at some parts...but in a shocking way.

Really good film.

Aquila76

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
www.facebook.com
Fantastic Mr. Fox - -i/0 of 10
What the ... I don't even ... I love Roald Dahl books and Mr. Fox, but I could not follow this adaptation at all. It was more all over the place than a kindergarten class minus their ADD pills plus a Pixie Stix truck.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
The Man from Nowhere - 9/10

This really surprised me. Some quick google-fu shows not much of any history for the main star or the director, but this was a slick action/revenge flick. There are some elements of similarity both to 'Leon' (aka 'The Professional') and to 'Taken', but to my surprise I liked just as much if not better than either. A lot of the credit has to go to the choreographer and action filming teams. A particular example of a well done element was following a character out of a 2nd floor window quite quickly and smoothly to the alleyway below, complete with a quick pan.

The stuff with the secondary characters didn't involve me very much, but the protaganist was quite the boss. Good stuff for anyone who enjoys some good action without minding a bit of the predictable plot elements.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Julie & Julia 7/10: An enjoyable comedic drama that hit the spot for GF and I. They could've tweaked the tone and pacing in the end so it didn't feel bit flat for the Julie's present-day story.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Crazy, Stupid, Love.

The wife and I gave it two thumbs up.

(Not good for people who are sensitive to divorce issues, however.)

MotionMan

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
X-Men: First Class - 8.5/10 - It was actually much better than I would of thought it would of been and I might even go as far as to say it was better than any of the 1st 3 X-men movies. It was just well done and pretty well cast. I hope they continue it and make more. The chick that played Raven was crazy hot also.

Pirates of the Caribbean 4: on Stranger Tides - 5/10 - Meh, it was OK. Not better than the first 2 but better than the 3rd one. The mermaid chick was hot. But all and all it didn't really seemed needed. The sad part is it seems like they've just set the stage to make at least another one. I guess they're going to just milk it for all they can. One part my wife and I could figure out (I assume it was just something set up for the next movie) is when
the religious guy kisses the mermaid and then she takes him under water and you see them swimming towards some underwater blue light area and then that's it. WTF happened there? Why show that and then not what happened?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Senna - 9.5/10: Amazing documentary about a Formula 1 race car driver named Ayrton Senna. I know nothing about racing (I actually find car racing pretty damn boring actually) so knew nothing about this going in, but damn, it was awesome. Tonnes of great footage and great drama throughout. Definitely worth seeing and honestly it's probably even better if you do not know much going in.

50/50 - 9/10 - Saw this a couple of weeks ago now, so it's not as fresh in my mind, but it was surprisingly awesome. I was not sure what to expect from a "cancer comedy" but this delivered in both the comedic and emotional pieces. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is fantastic as the lead character and Seth Rogen (I still like the guy, no matter what other people say) and Anna Kendricks both give great supporting turns. We both laughed a lot during this and the girl I was with bawled her eyes out, so it seemingly works for everyone. I was very surprised by how much I liked this one. Very funny but with a lot of heart.

The Devil's Double - 7/10: The story of the man who was the double for Uday Hussein (Saddam's crazy, sadistic son) based upon the books written by that same man (Latif). The main strength of this film is Dominic Cooper who played both Uday and Latif and did it phenomenally. While the characters obviously were meant to look the same, they were very distinct personalities and Cooper pulled that off perfectly. It's dark, with some rough violence, and while it gives you a fascinating look at the psychopath that is Uday, it left a little to be desired from the female love interest, who was only average and honestly did not have her story all that well examined in my opinion, particularly for an integral character like she was. Some of the ending was a bit off as well, but worth watching for Cooper if nothing else.

The Conversation - 9/10: I've always wanted to see this and Slayer mentioning it the other day forced me into it and of course, the film did not disappoint. Great story and just a spectacular performance from Gene Hackman as the secretive, reclusive "security expert". I was constantly guessing as to what was happening throughout the film and damn, that final sequence just blew me away. Great movie!

Limbo - 5.5/10: No idea how I even heard of this one, but it mainly follows a troubled former fisherman in small town Alaska and his interactions with the various characters around him, including a budding relationship with a woman and her daughter. Not a bad little drama, but it took a very strange turn about 2/3 of the way through which felt a bit strained to me. It also had a few cheesy parts on the relationship side of things. It did have a very cool ending, but overall it was a bit muddled.

The Hit - 8.5/10: 1984 film about a gangster (Terence Stamp) who rats out his cohorts, goes into hiding in Spain, then gets captured and is taken on a road trip back to the guy that wants him. First off Stamp is freaking awesome as Willie Parker; he's smart, witty, and brings an awesome attitude to the film, but it also has a great performance from John Hurt and it also has Tim Roth's feature debut (one of my favourite actors; he looks like a kid in this). There is very little to dislike in this film; my only real complaint is something that happens near the end that seemed unbelievable and left me a bit annoyed, but otherwise it was very good with three very strong performances.

Hookers on Davie - 7.5/10: A 1984 documentary about prostitutes on Davie street (which is about 3 blocks from my house). Nobody else here will want to see this, but I'm just writing it down so I have it on record. I found it pretty fascinating, since it showed a world that essentially does not exist on that part of Downtown any longer (not just the hookers, but all of the buildings too). Anyway, very interesting for a Vancouverite, but probably for many others.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Extended Editions) - 9.5/10: I'd never seen the EEs, so I finally decided to crack my Blu-ray set and watch the whole trilogy and hot damn, these are some amazing movies that are only mnade better by being on Blu and by having the additional hour per movie, or whatever it is. added to the presentations. It was slow in a couple of parts (mainly stuff surrounding the Elves to be honest as I found them relatively boring aside from Legolas) and the multiple endings of course still drag in the final film, but it's a pretty amazing trilogy overall and even though I watched all 12+ hours of the thing this weekend, I can definitely see myself re-watching it again in the future.

KT

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah the extra footage is pretty much essential for understanding whats going on in the story, especially if you never read the books.
I heard the original Bluray releases were Theatrical only, so this is good news for me.
Not an elf and wizard fan as such, but I do like violence and babes in skin tight outfits.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Yeah the extra footage is pretty much essential for understanding whats going on in the story, especially if you never read the books.
I heard the original Bluray releases were Theatrical only, so this is good news for me.
Not an elf and wizard fan as such, but I do like violence and babes in skin tight outfits.

Yeah nothing really felt extraneous; it all felt pretty much necessary and I kept wondering what the heck was missing from the theatrical editions. :hmm:

KT

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Senna - 9.5/10: Amazing documentary about a Formula 1 race car driver named Ayrton Senna. I know nothing about racing (I actually find car racing pretty damn boring actually) so knew nothing about this going in, but damn, it was awesome. Tonnes of great footage and great drama throughout. Definitely worth seeing and honestly it's probably even better if you do not know much going in.

I have to wait for the DVD to be released.. my place is a boonie. :(

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah nothing really felt extraneous; it all felt pretty much necessary and I kept wondering what the heck was missing from the theatrical editions. :hmm:

KT

Theatrical versions had huge, gaping plot holes. Not much made sense as to "why" or "how".
If you read the books you'd understand the plot but be pissed they passed up so much good stuff and wonder why they bothered making movies.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I have to wait for the DVD to be released.. my place is a boonie. :(

Maybe it will come to VoD?

Theatrical versions had huge, gaping plot holes. Not much made sense as to "why" or "how".
If you read the books you'd understand the plot but be pissed they passed up so much good stuff and wonder why they bothered making movies.

I had read the books when I was a kid, so I guess that helped me fill the gaps when I saw them in the theatre, but I cannot see any reason to watch the theatrical versions now.

KT

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
snip snip, snip; snip
KT

Good to know about Senna. Rave reviews from what I've seen, but I was hesitant because I have no interest in racing either. I'll check it out

Devil's Double looks entertaining but reviews make it seem like it's nothing special. Glad to know it's at least worth seeing.

The Hit is on my Netflix queue, sounds like I should move it up a bit.

Glad you liked The Conversation. Thinking back, I still have mixed feelings about it. Something strange about it....:hmm:

Storm + 3 day weekend and I couldn't watch one friggin movie. I STILL don't have power. *Happy* to be at work...waking up was a bitch though

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Damn, that sucks man. Hard to imagine being without power for more than a few hours. D:

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Dreamers (unrated edition) - 6/10: Bernardo Bertolucci's 2003, um, romp(?) about an American who ends up befriending, then living with, French twins in Paris. The best thing about this movie is Eva Green, lot's of beautiful, naked (very naked!) Eva Green; good lord she is beautiful. As for the movie itself, I found it a bit annoying and not really as enjoyable as I would have hoped. The opening had me thinking this would be a fun film with young people talking about movies, and growing up through film, but it turned into a pretentious bunch of claptrap that just had me rolling my eyes. I also very much dislike Michael Pitt, who is the lead in this, so that hindered my enjoyment as well. Eva Gren and the guy who played her twin brother were both very good and I can;t help but think the film would have been much better overall with a different actor to play the American. So yeah, Eva Green.

KT

KidNiki1

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2010
Chaos Theory - 8/10: The story of an obsessively organized efficiency expert whose life unravels in unexpected ways when fate forces him to explore the serendipitous nature of love and forgiveness.

Good movie.

Just watched this today..also give it 8/10. Would have been only 7 except I am in love with Ryan Reynolds. :D

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Multiple Sarcasms - 6/10

Timothy Hutton and Mira Sorvino back together again. The movie was alright. A little different, but with the same outcome as other "finding myself" pseudo-rom-com type movies. It's a character driven movie, so if you like car crashes and explosions only, you won't like it. I thought that acting by Hutton, Sorvino and Dana Delany was pretty good though.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Limitless 8/10 - Even though there were holes big enough to fit a UPS truck through, I really liked this movie. There is one part that I think we all agree the writers could have found a better way around... The end leaves some nagging questions, but all in I thought it was excellent.

Hall Pass 6.5/10 - About what I expected. Don't know what to say really. Umm... Seen the commercials? If so, that's the movie.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Damn, that sucks man. Hard to imagine being without power for more than a few hours. D:

KT

Today is the third full day. Feels like two weeks :/

Anyway, I think I'll be in the city on Thursday, might try to see The Interrupters

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Suckerpunch - 1/10 Teen angst mixed with insanity and a tiny bit of weird action. Not bottom of the barrel, but rather not deserving to be mentioned in the same sentence with barrels. Thank goodness we only paid a buck for the rental. In the jail bait angst/melodrama/action stinker genre.

Arthur (Remake) - 8/10 Surprisingly funny remake of the alcoholic and totally dysfunctional mid-thirties multimillionaire heir forced to grow up. Russel Brand was surprisingly good, Greta Gerwig is pretty, more vulnerable, and a better actress than is Liza Minnelli, and Helen Mirren gives an excellent portrayal of a Hobbsen turned female and written more as a foil/straight man - a good decision, since even she would find it hard to compete with the acerbic, deadpan humor of John Guilgud. Standard romantic comedy that beats you over the head with a message that everyone outside of Hollywood learned in their teens, but an enjoyable couple hours.

The Adjustment Bureau - 7/10 A "man behind the curtain" story that's an odd combination of celestial bureaucracy and angels, where a politician learns by accident that his (and everyone's) life is totally scripted. He meets an intriguing woman, then by accident he meets her again. Then they are struggling against the system that insists they must never see each other again. Kind of slow, but well played and builds to a nice, action-filled and logical conclusion. Action/romantic comedy.

Inception - 9/10 Excellent movie about exploring dream space and the attendant potential for both good and evil. Painfully slow at first, but very well acted. Action oriented drama.

Harry Potter and the My G-d it's Finally Over! Part 2 - 9/10 Surprisingly well acted and unlike the previous one, not edited by an ADD Tourette Syndrome sufferer. Action/adventure genre featuring mostly teens but with strong performances from them as well as adults and the odd septuagenarians.

Just Go With It - 8/10 Two very lovely and well-displayed women vying for the affections of Adam Sandler, who is either suffering from early onset dementia or is even more taken with Jennifer Aniston's breasts than am I, as he delivered a lot of dialogue either looking down and off camera or staring at her boobs. Standard romantic comedy fare.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Adam Sandler, who is either suffering from early onset dementia or is even more taken with Jennifer Aniston's breasts than am I, as he delivered a lot of dialogue either looking down and off camera or staring at her boobs. Standard romantic comedy fare.

He always does that...even in interviews.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Harry Potter (the last one) - 7/10. I have not read the books and only saw the first one in the entirety. With that said, I was not COMPLETELY lost as most characters were in the first movie as well. I knew the premise and enjoyed the film for its action. It was however evident that it was filmed with 3d in mind (flowing Volderwhatever's cloak, snake coming right at the camera, flight through the burning room, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.