Lets talk about Age of Conan (MMO)

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
For PvP on the PvE servers you go into the Border Kingdoms area. Everywhere else its PvE.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
I really wanted to like this game, but it just isn't doing it for me. It seriously is like Guiild Wars with a monthly fee tacked on. The funny thing is I didn't mind Tortage that much (although it's not something I'd like to go through again with an alt. character). The places after Tortage are a lot worse IMO. It really started to feel like a single player game, going long stretches without seeing a single person. The fact there's a ton of instancing in this game doesn't help in that regard. Quests after Tortage have gone completely downhill. Generic, travel across the map quests, gather X, slaughter Y. It's a poor rehash of WoW's system.

The combat seems like a breath of fresh air at first, but then just grows tedious after the first few levels. I can only imagine the kind've pain your fingers will feel after an epic boss encounter. I can't comment on PVP since I'm only level 27, but it doesn't sound like there's a whole lot of reward in that regard.

Even on the official AOC boards, it seems like a lot of people feel this way. I haven't seen this much negative reaction for a new MMORPG in a long, long time. I feel like I wasted 50 bucks, pisses me off..

Instancing :(

As MMOs become more successful, they are becoming less MM.

yeah, instancing even into the tavern is ridiculous.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Reason you gotta instance into the tavern is because thats how you switch between single player-night-to multiplayer-day. What bugs me most about the game however is that there is no overworld and travel between cities and areas is limited. One of the most immersive aspects of FF11 when I played it was the the fact that some stuff was just really far away and took time to get there.

ITPaladin

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2003
Originally posted by: CKent
Playerbase is the foundation of an MMORPG, if other players didn't matter we'd save the monthly fee and play single players.

As such, a question I haven't seen asked - how's the playerbase? After another night of reliving the film Idiocracy in WoW's battlegrounds & trade chat, I'd pretty much play EQ1 again at this point, 1999 graphics and primitive gameplay included, to get away from the drooling 12 year olds and/or retarded folk who comprise 99% of Azeroth.

If you play EQ1 since the Planes of Power expansion, the graphics were and have been / being updated since. Freeport / Ro looks nothing like it did back then.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: manimal
Reason you gotta instance into the tavern is because thats how you switch between single player-night-to multiplayer-day. What bugs me most about the game however is that there is no overworld and travel between cities and areas is limited. One of the most immersive aspects of FF11 when I played it was the the fact that some stuff was just really far away and took time to get there.

i was thinking that at first...but in old tarantia, i cringed when i had to zone into the tavern there too.

j0j081

Banned
Aug 26, 2007
Originally posted by: manimal
One of the most immersive aspects of FF11 when I played it was the the fact that some stuff was just really far away and took time to get there.

that is one thing I like about this game. FF11 is too slow going IMO. It is like they spaced everything as far out as possible so you'll be playing forever to do anything worthwhile. That might be fine if playing am MMORPG is basically your job but for everyone else it gets very tedious.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: abaez
I really wanted to like this game, but it just isn't doing it for me. It seriously is like Guiild Wars with a monthly fee tacked on. The funny thing is I didn't mind Tortage that much (although it's not something I'd like to go through again with an alt. character). The places after Tortage are a lot worse IMO. It really started to feel like a single player game, going long stretches without seeing a single person. The fact there's a ton of instancing in this game doesn't help in that regard. Quests after Tortage have gone completely downhill. Generic, travel across the map quests, gather X, slaughter Y. It's a poor rehash of WoW's system.

The combat seems like a breath of fresh air at first, but then just grows tedious after the first few levels. I can only imagine the kind've pain your fingers will feel after an epic boss encounter. I can't comment on PVP since I'm only level 27, but it doesn't sound like there's a whole lot of reward in that regard.

Even on the official AOC boards, it seems like a lot of people feel this way. I haven't seen this much negative reaction for a new MMORPG in a long, long time. I feel like I wasted 50 bucks, pisses me off..

Paul, if you want to sell your account, let me know.

As for instancing vs non-instancing, I don't think we're at that point yet where you can have 500-1000 individual players in the same zone/area without massive lag.

Even in a non instanced game like Everquest (at least in the old days) and Asheron's Call there were never 1000 players in one place. That just doesn't happen.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Xellos2099
Anyone here got a spare invite key so I can try out the game for 7 days? :)

those aren't available yet..they dont want to over burden the servers yet

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
The ffa pvp is a lot of fun, getting ganked repatedly by someone 6-7 llevels higher than you but still having a chance is fun..

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I'm going to kill myself if I have to listen to any more "WoW sucks" OOC chat. Jesus.

I'm playing on SET if anyone else is on there, feel free to add skace as a friend. I know CVSiN is here as well :)

Vehemence

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
DT and Bear Shaman so far have been killer. My DT's much higher level so I'm torn between burning through with him or catching the Bear Shaman up. :p

shrumpage

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004
After reading about AoC i'm very tempted, just got a couple of questions:

Can the game folder be moved from computer to computer? The game is huge, and has some pretty big patches i don't want to keep downloading per machine. Is there any way to back up the install or at least the patches? Can you just download the patches with out the game?

What affects the performance the most, assuming you meet the minimum? Ram? Processor? Video card? Ram on video card?

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Couple of questions

In the PVE servers are there zones where it is a free for all player vs player, or is it only in the "Arena"?

In the PVP servers, are there any protection for low level characters in the low level areas? (I'm thinking like high level NPC guards like in WOW for the starting areas)?

Thanks

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Liking my Conquerer now, but still viewing Conan as just a fix before warhammer comes out.

The graphics are incredible, but I still don't care for the 1, 2, 3 method of combat and some of the movements ie running into corners, between trees and the like and not being able to go back is kind of annoying.

It also does not like ATI graphic cards at all, but it loves the 8800 GT.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

As for instancing vs non-instancing, I don't think we're at that point yet where you can have 500-1000 individual players in the same zone/area without massive lag.

Even in a non instanced game like Everquest (at least in the old days) and Asheron's Call there were never 1000 players in one place. That just doesn't happen.

In AC IIRC the most you could get in one spot before people would get randomly portaled out was somewhere in the ~150 range.

Vehemence

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
AoC has heavy instancing since characters, NPCs, and enemies actually take up real space, i.e. there's collision detection.

Running around Old Tartania and Khemi even WITH instancing is a little annoying sometimes with collision detection...people in my way all the time. :p It's not really an issue though.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: datalink7
Couple of questions

In the PVE servers are there zones where it is a free for all player vs player, or is it only in the "Arena"?

In the PVP servers, are there any protection for low level characters in the low level areas? (I'm thinking like high level NPC guards like in WOW for the starting areas)?

Thanks

There are zones called Border Kingdoms. They are in the game, but werent tested during beta. There are reports alot of the end game PvP stuff(siege, cities, etc) are slightly broken to broken at the moment.

This should have never gone live. There is alot of broken stuff, and banking and traders are still broken with no ETA because their system was easily exploited. I understand they didnt want to release in the same time frame as WAR, but they are going to have a high turnover rate after the first 30 days unless they get their sh!t together ASAP. Financially though, they should be close to break even on development costs...

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: LumbergTech
Originally posted by: Xellos2099
Anyone here got a spare invite key so I can try out the game for 7 days? :)

those aren't available yet..they dont want to over burden the servers yet

Or they want people to shell out $50 to try the game. I think its more along the lines they are trying to recoup as much money as they can at the moment. The servers are fine, thats the one thing they have going for them.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

Instancing just blows though. Worst idea for MMOGs.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: dNor
AoC has heavy instancing since characters, NPCs, and enemies actually take up real space, i.e. there's collision detection.

Running around Old Tartania and Khemi even WITH instancing is a little annoying sometimes with collision detection...NPCs in my way all the time. :p It's not really an issue though.

Fixed.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Lol you sound way too pissed off about this game Wreckem, if you don't like it just don't play it and ignore the game, no use telling other people that they shouldn't be enjoying something they are.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: VashHT
Lol you sound way too pissed off about this game Wreckem, if you don't like it just don't play it and ignore the game, no use telling other people that they shouldn't be enjoying something they are.

Im not saying they shouldnt be enjoying it, Im just warning people, that it isnt all rosy and is quite broken currently. It has a lot of potential which is why Im sticking around to see if they get their shit together like they eventually did with AO. Hopefully it doesnt take them close to a year like AO. I couldnt recommend picking this game up for atleast another month or two. Some of the bugs are just not excusable. If they could get everything they promised working, the game would be worthy of a good review, until that time its 6/10 at best. The first 20 levels are definately 10/10 though. They just need to deliver on the rest ASAP.