Left 4 Dead 2 Demo - Finally available for PC

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Going to d/l this tonight and give it a whirl. If it's fun I too will pick it up when it goes on sale. I bought too many copies of the first L4D at almost full price, not again.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
So the download just opened up for everybody today? That must be why it's only downloading at 100kb/s.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
I just played through the demo. I'm impressed. The game ran smooth as butter and was very fun.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I just played through the demo. I'm impressed. The game ran smooth as butter and was very fun.

I just went through it and it seems just like more of the same. The melee weapons were a nice addition and some of the other of the medical stuff but it just seems like they only slightly changed L4D and added new weapons that aren't even that much different than the standard ones that were in part 1. If you loved L4D1 and were happy with how it is then this is what you want cus it's more of the same thing but if you were expecting them to change it up and make it feel refreshing and put your interest into the game again then no this won't do it. The new special infected aren't even that different either. It's not bad cus L4D1 wasn't a bad game either but it's just more of the same and it will get boring like the original content did as well.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Left 4 Dead reminds me of Counter-Strike. Essentially, you play the same map(s) over and over and do the same things over and over to win. Some times you do something completely off the wall to change it up, but generally you stick to the tried and true tactics again and again. I've been playing cs_office almost exclusively in CS:S for years, and while I've several month-long breaks on numerous occasions, I've always come back to it when I get bored.

In my opinion, L4D is just that - a repetitive game that's meant to be played in short spurts. Don't expect RPG-like immersion, or CS / Unreal / etc. -like FPS competition. Don't expect a good story, complex tactics, or enough maps / other content to make your head spin. Do expect, however, a fast-paced game that's loads of fun to play with friends, or jump online with some complete strangers to waste half an hour or so.

Like many others, I'm sad to see L4D2 come out so soon after the original's release, and I would have preferred to see more content added to L4D before a sequel comes to replace it. However, I will be picking it sometime in the next several weeks, because I know, like the original, it'll be more fun that nearly any other game I have installed. I think I've spent more time in L4D than half of my other games combined.

The new content sounds promising, though I would like to see some more drastic changes to make it less like the original. Perhaps the ability to drive vehicles in select areas or campaigns (think HL2 EP2 car), and some completely re-designed special infected (some that can blend in with the surroundings, some that burrow in the ground and can pop-up at will, etc.). I hope that Valve makes this their new baby and hammers it with DLC updates more than any game before it.

Last edited:

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Left 4 Dead reminds me of Counter-Strike. Essentially, you play the same map(s) over and over and do the same things over and over to win. Some times you do something completely off the wall to change it up, but generally you stick to the tried and true tactics again and again. I've been playing cs_office almost exclusively in CS:S for years, and while I've several month-long breaks on numerous occasions, I've always come back to it when I get bored.

In my opinion, L4D is just that - a repetitive game that's meant to be played in short spurts. Don't expect RPG-like immersion, or CS / Unreal / etc. -like FPS competition. Don't expect a good story, complex tactics, or enough maps / other content to make your head spin. Do expect, however, a fast-paced game that's loads of fun to play with friends, or jump online with some complete strangers to waste half an hour or so.

Like many others, I'm sad to see L4D2 come out so soon after the original's release, and I would have preferred to see more content added to L4D before a sequel comes to replace it. However, I will be picking it sometime in the next several weeks, because I know, like the original, it'll be more fun that nearly any other game I have installed. I think I've spent more time in L4D than half of my other games combined.

The new content sounds promising, though I would like to see some more drastic changes to make it less like the original. Perhaps the ability to drive vehicles in select areas or campaigns (think HL2 EP2 car), and some completely re-designed special infected (some that can blend in with the surroundings, some that burrow in the ground and can pop-up at will, etc.). I hope that Valve makes this their new baby and hammers it with DLC updates more than any game before it.

Thats the big thing about CS though. It gave another realm to the game with competition and the pro gaming aspect. You play cs_office for years then you go play competitive with a team of 5 and it feels like a completely different game.

watek

Apr 21, 2004
Played the demo for about 15 mins. I'll wait until the price drops. I used to play L4D for hours but only with my maryjane, hah!

theshad

Apr 15, 2008
While the single player didn't seem different enough to warrant a whole new game, I can easily see that the game will be entirely different in multiplayer. The changes that the game has made seem like they are fixing some of what I consider to be the biggest problems in the multiplayer (Camping under pipes, meleeing doors, sprinting through events) and I have no problem spending $34 to warrant the new game. I play it for the multiplayer anyway, I didn't play the single player again after I got my achievements finished for it.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Alright, I gave a number of tries to the demo.

I'm not "extremely disappointed", I would say it's... ok, I'm quite underwhelmed however. I want to make this clear here, Valve says it's a sequel, but it's not. Well, probably it is, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the original content and the continuity of it that should occur in a so called "sequel".

It was obvious from the start, of course, seeing the different cast, but standing by the label of a sequel is ridiculous outside of the mercantile sense of such a decision by the developers. A proper sequel would have kept the original cast, and... who knows, Zoey would have had a baby with Louis, Bill would have grown a mutated beard and Francis might have taken him as a vampire by mistake and shot him dead, but something with them would have happened.

So... a sequel of what exactly is L4D2? Probably the sequel that tells the story of the evolution and change of the zombies and the special infected, and other than that, calling it a sequel makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Alright, now pointless point made, what did I liked and what I thought wasn't necessarily fun or "well made".

The positive points...

º The physics are better, damage on both regular zombies and special infected seems more precise and localized, when a pipe bomb explodes the zombies do so equally in gibs and proper ragdoll effects this time, contrarily to the "mist only" effect of the original.

º The more varied regular mobs and the updated more detailed special infected models is always a good thing to have, it's certainly better than the original.

º The day time setting is welcome indeed, it's not as bad as I thought it would be, but it doesn't fit the mood of the original's more darker/noir approach, but at least the day time setting helps L4D2 distinguish itself apart from the first.

º New guns, better "old ones" models, I guess that's good, I liked the AK47. Some of the new items seem fun, during one of my tries I used that new Boomer's bile bomb on a charging Tank, I thought it was probably the best part of the demo I had seen so far.

º New special infected, I thought that the Spitter is the best, it fits well, and does a good job doing to the Survivors what the Survivors do the the infected, namely throwing Molotovs and using gas tanks, I noticed that when the Spitter dies she leaves a very corrosive substance on the ground that has the same effect that the Molotovs had in Versus in the original L4D, it slows down the progression of the Survivors, or at a minimum it can force-split the team in two. I like that new one.

º The corpses from the regular mobs stay on the ground, nice touch, it helps adding to the atmosphere and the "I've clearly been there before" effect, it can even serve as a visual reference if the player is lost in the level (which I'd be surprised if it ever happened but it's certainly possible, I guess).

º Nice new little details I've noticed, such as the regular mobs having tougher variants now, like the bullet-proof police/SWAT type, which you have to shot at his back, although I think that emptying full AK47 clips on that thing and it not dying is still a bit exaggerated, bullet proof or not, but I like the "I HAVE to turn its back at me" provocation effect there, good addition indeed. Also their eyes have that new "glow" effect in darker areas, and at one point in the map I activated what I thought was just a static juke box, but to my surprise it actually had animations for the mechanisms inside and the music started playing, that's a good addition, which might have came from an old but then-very-popular thread for the original in which people suggested adding interactive props like radios and televisions around that would play some random "funny" and "unfitting" stuff as the players blew zombies left and right, I think Valve was perhaps inspired by those ideas, needless to say, I like details like that, I hope there's more than just that juke box in that map.

The "unsatisfying" points...

º The other new special infected, Charger and Jockey... not really fun, the Charger is I believe too powerful for its purpose, but I'm not a developer nor a tester so I'm wrong, I know. The Jockey, that thing is useless and extremely annoying in my opinion, it doesn't even have any humor factor thrown in which is what I thought he was supposed to do at least if not cause some damage, he has some form of a hysterical laugh, but other than that, it's just annoying.

º The music, I had to turn it off, I don't know if it's the same composer than the original, but at least the music from the map in the demo is very unfitting, also the new panic events and the "at the distance mobs wave spawn" sound were changed to a point that I really wonder what goal they tried to achieve by doing that rather than just using the existing ones from the original, other than perhaps making the incoming wave less intimidating.

º The sounds in general but especially from the special infected, except the few ones they did kept from the original, in my opinion, aren't unique enough. The Spitter doesn't have any very iconic sound effects other than the acid she leaves boiling the ground, the Jockey should have more than just one or two laughs, the Hunter... is different, why, I don't know, he just doesn't sound as aggressive as in the first (maybe I simply wasn't lucky enough to hear the original sounds if they did keep them), the Tank, also, doesn't seem to scream and yell as much as in L4D and the Charger... well, that's perhaps the only exception.

º The melee weapons, outside of the fun factor, in my opinion, are useless, at least they are in the demo, maybe other maps will offer higher challenges and make sure that the ammunition is a rarity, which I believe is still an existing issue in L4D2, but I did notice it being reduced when compared to the original, but then again, the original doesn't have melee weapons, and it does need ammo, or else. But, anyway, I found myself simply avoiding, ignoring, and being completely indifferent about them as I wandered around, to be honest I only picked one up, the Machete, for curiosity's sake, and I found a shotgun a minute later and left it behind me for the gun instead. But, yes, I'm aware that other maps might make melee weapons more "valuable" and useful. As of now I think it's there only for the fact that it's a "sequel" and that it had to have new items whatever the sense or nonsense they might have brought, it's a new game, so, whatever, let's add stuff left and right.

º The bots, A.I, is just as stupid, if not worse than they are in L4D. But then again L4D and L4D2 are both focused on multi-player, right? But then again, why bothering on the creation of A.I at all? Who knows... maybe because completing the game alone would be impossible. So, what if the player doesn't have Internet connection On and happens to want to play L4D2? He needs bots, right? Well, let's give them, and let's make them stupid... but OH! Yeah, that's right I forgot, it's NOT a game for single-player, but then again, why creating a single-player mode... hmmm... oh well. Very vicious cycle. But cynicism and sarcasm aside, it's just as bad as L4D's A.I.

º The so called new A.I Director being "smarter" and "reacting better" at Survivor's situations, "group endurance" and health, ammunition count, and so on, and spawning "more efficient" waves coming from "different directions each time"... all that stuff I remember reading about it, I DO wonder honestly if they DID include it in the demo at all, because without wanting to seem to complain just for the fun of doing it because it's L4D2, I really haven't seen anything different, in fact I still noticed some blatant "stuck" mobs on impassable terrain, some of them literally "floating" towards me without any proper running or walking animations (alright, that's not the A.I, got myself here) and the waves... there's MAYBE more of them, then what else exactly? What IS the "new" A.I Director doing that it wasn't supposedly able to do in the original, or that it wasn't doing at all for whatever reason? But I DID noticed that the special infected do spawn more often, but then again that's something I do all the time with simple console commands in my own games in the original...

º The map design and the demo's "finale". Was it an actual finale for that map? I hope not, because that map would end up being shorter than Crash Course. If however L4D2's maps offer "mini" finales here and there that end up being just as challenging as that one alarm thing in the demo then I would put this under the "positive points" category, but right now I'm not confused on that, it's just lack of information I guess, someone here feel free to enlighten me on that if you want to. And, well, in general that map feels more linear than anything in L4D with the exception of No Mercy, but L4D in general is also linear, so that's perhaps the point there, I think I expected L4D2 to be less so, with more wide open areas, I think I need to stop watching those 70's zombie invasion movies with invaded malls and outdoor parkings and city streets.

º The cast... the voice acting. I think, after reflexion on this point, that it is the most disappointing aspect of L4D2 overall. The character models themselves, I couldn't care less, it's just their "effect", they aren't archetypes or icons enough... it's actually tough to explain, for me anyway. It's perhaps a question of perception, but the cast from the original are iconic by now, I think they were even before the demo's release with the trailer alone and our good ol' Louis screaming and swearing at that Witch trying to get to him through that damn door. I liked Zoey and her B-zombie-movies obsession, I liked Louis with his constant nervousness and "on edge"-psychotic reactions to incoming zombie waves and how cool was his laughing.

I liked Bill and his cold-blooded ex green beret dialog, and I liked Francis and his love on hating everything, especially vans and him always saying vampires instead of zombies and how nicely Bill would remind him of the facts. And again, I think all of that has to do with the fact that L4D2 is simply not a sequel, L4D2 is to L4D1 what Blue Shift was to Half-Life, nothing less, and nothing more. It's just another point of view in the same context without touching the same known characters or protagonists, it doesn't "follow" nor "resume" anything, it just shows "more of the same", but differently. There's also an attachment factor from the original, some of us will never get used to the new cast as much.

----

In the end, my conclusions based on the demo is that L4D2 is decent, it's not absolutely "sucky", it's not an "insult" of a game. It's o...k, no more, and no less. The demo does not convince me in any way, shape, or form that L4D2 is worth it at full price, but it simply tells me that if I ever want to experience more of the same but with new stuff at hand, then I have to buy it when I feel like it. In other words, L4D2 is merely something I will keep in mind when I happen to have about $25 or so left in my PayPal account that I don't know what to do with, and that I really... really feel like having yet another zombie game in my games collection, which quite honestly isn't something that I feel the urge to have.

I say... alright, I'll consider it, eventually, but I'm not in a hurry at all, and I will wait when its price is considerably reduced, very much so.

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Played the demo and i liked it. Anyone doing the 4 Pack? PM if there is a slot open.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Demo was eh. Game is the same thing but different variations of weapons. Instead of an m16 we have an ak that fires the same?

The AK47 is clearly more powerful (on normal/vs. difficulty, it can one-shot-kill common infected in the torso, the M16 requires at least 2 shots) yet slower firing and with obviously worse accuracy. It also has 40 round mag vs. 50 of the M16.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
I'll try it out tonight, but by all accounts it sounds like it's not going to be any different for me than L4D. Reports are that the AI Director doesn't even function correctly in the demo because the maps are significantly altered for the demo or use some earlier build.

TJCS

Nov 3, 2009
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,6...rkaround/News/ Workaround to play as infected in L4d2 demo. I can attest that it works. __________________

Nice find Scooterlibby.

One poster from the l4dmods.com that did the trick said that he had a game with 6 survivor vs 4 infected. I bet Valve is trying to finish this game before the 17th :D

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Nice find Scooterlibby.

One poster from the l4dmods.com that did the trick said that he had a game with 6 survivor vs 4 infected. I bet Valve is trying to finish this game before the 17th :D

The same thing happened when the Demo came out last year and Valve killed it with an update. I'm 100% sure the same will happen again.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I had a lot of fun with this demo, I like the addition of more detailed gore when ur gibbing zombies, nice touch. I only tried it on normal last night, it was pretty easy me and my friend fought off a couple hordes with only melee weapons.

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
I dunno. I just downloaded the demo today and wow....the game is basically l4d1 lol. I really dont see how they justify $40-$50 for l4d2. I guess good job marketing team at valve? lol.

The thing looks identical to me... Actually even more buggy than l4d1, although I cant judge much of that on a dumb demo.

Also...its still the dumb matchmaking system. I had thought they actually had dedicated server list in this one....doh.

Last edited:

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
K so I just tried it real quick. Is this supposed to be basically the finished game? Because it feels really unfinished. I don't know if it's because I've been playing so much Borderlands but the movement seems really clunky, restricted and odd to use.

The sound and music was weird too, it seemed like there was way too many sound effects and different types of music all trying to play at once that they got jumbled up.

Oh, and I used melee weapons for about 1/2 the match and something about it was really off. I think it was that half the time I was left wondering if I actually hit the zombie or not. The sound was late and it seemed the zombie's reaction to the hit was late.

I've seen a few people mention AI as well and that was something that was kind of off too. There were zombies climbing unnecessary walls and roofs, and I even saw some zombies climb over a fence then just turn around and climb back over. There was even some zombies that seemed to climb onto invisible ledges.

Graphically it seemed ok, and about the same as the first one except that the zombies seem to have dropped in quality. They just look shitty. The extra gore/dismemberment is cool but the blood splatter seems to have decreased.

The overall feel of this game just felt sloppy. I really hope that the final product is a little more polished. Oh, and I'm not really a fan of the new survivors. They just seem too stereotypical or extreme.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
one thing i don't like at all is the daytime environment. night was what gave L4D that scary atmosphere, the brightness messes it all up now.