Left 4 Dead 2 Demo - Finally available for PC

DrawninwarD

Jul 5, 2008
After a significant delay, the L4D 2 demo is finally available.

Restart Steam, and then play the game. Steam will first decrypt the game's files.

Enjoy!

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
A demo is meant to encourage people to buy a game (or whatever). People who have pre ordered the game have bought the game....

There is still some logic to this, but I will not be buying until I play a demo and really like it or it's on sale for $20 (CND) or less.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

There is still some logic to this

Really? What is it, because it's lost on me. I agree w/ your first statement. It's meant to persuade or encourage people to buy. Why give it only to those who are buying? Are they serious with this?

eggrolls

Oct 11, 2006
Originally posted by: marmasatt

There is still some logic to this

Really? What is it, because it's lost on me. I agree w/ your first statement. It's meant to persuade or encourage people to buy. Why give it only to those who are buying? Are they serious with this?

A public demo will be available in a few days. Those who preordered simply have early access. The logic is to entice people to preorder.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Just played a couple levels......I like some of the additions. They are going to take some getting used to!

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: minmaster
seriously, i am not gonna be supporting this "pay for demo" strategy.

You dont have to pay for the demo. It will be released soon for all. They are enticing you to pre-order by giving you access to the demo a little early.

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
They are trying to make people feel like they are getting their moneys worth for pre-ordering the game that should be a free upgrade patch to l4d1 to begin with. :)

But ya, I had thought it was the public demo release today. Doh. Guess ill have to wait till the 3rd.

PS: Any long time members here who havnt ordered the game yet interested in going in on a 4-pack, lmk. :p

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
i did 4 pack last time, but i'd rather just wait for a $20 weekend deal this time around.

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
You think that will happen? When did that happen last time? how long after the release?

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I upgraded my computer specifically for L4D last year. Pre-ordered it too. It was a great game for the first month but after that it got extremely boring. Not enough maps, only a couple weapons, same strategy for everything, AI Director didn't live upto the hype, new content was few and far between, no ability to create user content until months and months after. I'll wait for a weekend deal this time.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
yea L4D was very very fun, but the novelty wore off awfully fast for me. and then you almost never touch the game after that. it's just too hard to keep the game exciting (a game that relies so much on scaring you) once you figured out everything and even vs mode got old (especially when everyone ragequits).

i will say that i got my money's worth, but i fail to see how the cycle will be any different with L4D2.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
A few thoughts:

- AI director is improved. Special Inf teamwork is better.

- New special infected and uncommon commons add some new strategies.

- A lot of new inventory management. You can carry pistols OR a melee weapon, but not both. You can carry pills OR adrenaline, but not both. You can carry a medkit OR defib paddles, but not both. Also, weapons now have less ammo, and there aren't ammo piles everywhere, so often you end up using what's available, not what your favorite is. I also like that pistols come in single units now, not an unending pile. Overall, I like all of this. Gives the game more of a "scavenging" feeling like you'd have in a real zombie outbreak, using what you can get your hands on.

- There also aren't really tier 1 and tier 2 weapons...it's more blended now, and though weapon spawns are still fixed, there's a lot more variation in the guns you find at each. You'll come up on an area, but it's no longer the "tier 2 table". You know you'll be getting guns, but it may be an uzi and two pistols...or a platter of auto-shotties. You find out when you get there.

- Most of the melee weapons in the demo are subpar due to the delay in attack after the click. The machete is the exception. This is easily patched.

- The new damage modeling and improved physics are extremely welcome and add a ton to the atmosphere. I could watch these zombies shed parts and fluids all day. The fact that pipe bombs now gib/fling the zombies instead of simply misting them makes for a great show. The fact that corpses no longer disappear is also nice. When you are done with a bigass encounter, you will *know* it.

- Some of the new weapons are essentially only visual changes (silenced machine pistol, chrome shotgun), other new additions feel meaty and powerful (assault shotgun, AK-47).

- The point A to point B crescendos are a great addition, which should do away with the closet camping that was so prevalent in L4D1.

Overall, I like what I see here. This shows a LOT of promise for the full version. Looking forward to Nov. 17th with a vengeance.

coreyb

Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2007
Looks like a lot of big changes, not something that you would release for free or very cheaply as an add-on for the first one.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I'll have to try this tonight. Hopefully I can get more enjoyment out of it than I have gotten from L4D recently.

KT

Nov 7, 2000
The first time I played it, I must say I hardly even realized it was a new game. Obviously yeah new weapons, characters, etc. but it felt like a mod of L4D almost. However, as I have played through it more and more I am starting to appreciate it. Especially after going back and playing the original, the new one does indeed feel deeper.

Some events now will require you to move from point A to point B to turn off the event. This is a big change from the first in which you pretty much just bunkered down. Granted, as far as I know there isn't anything preventing them from developing this in L4D, I guess they just chose not to.

Very anxious to try out the infected, for me L4D has always been about the versus.

I am going to miss No Mercy and the original survivors... I would really love Valve if they migrated them to the new edition but I'm sure thats unlikely.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
A few thoughts:

- AI director is improved. Special Inf teamwork is better.

- New special infected and uncommon commons add some new strategies.

- A lot of new inventory management. You can carry pistols OR a melee weapon, but not both. You can carry pills OR adrenaline, but not both. You can carry a medkit OR defib paddles, but not both. Also, weapons now have less ammo, and there aren't ammo piles everywhere, so often you end up using what's available, not what your favorite is. I also like that pistols come in single units now, not an unending pile. Overall, I like all of this. Gives the game more of a "scavenging" feeling like you'd have in a real zombie outbreak, using what you can get your hands on.

- There also aren't really tier 1 and tier 2 weapons...it's more blended now, and though weapon spawns are still fixed, there's a lot more variation in the guns you find at each. You'll come up on an area, but it's no longer the "tier 2 table". You know you'll be getting guns, but it may be an uzi and two pistols...or a platter of auto-shotties. You find out when you get there.

- Most of the melee weapons in the demo are subpar due to the delay in attack after the click. The machete is the exception. This is easily patched.

- The new damage modeling and improved physics are extremely welcome and add a ton to the atmosphere. I could watch these zombies shed parts and fluids all day. The fact that pipe bombs now gib/fling the zombies instead of simply misting them makes for a great show. The fact that corpses no longer disappear is also nice. When you are done with a bigass encounter, you will *know* it.

- Some of the new weapons are essentially only visual changes (silenced machine pistol, chrome shotgun), other new additions feel meaty and powerful (assault shotgun, AK-47).

- The point A to point B crescendos are a great addition, which should do away with the closet camping that was so prevalent in L4D1.

Overall, I like what I see here. This shows a LOT of promise for the full version. Looking forward to Nov. 17th with a vengeance.

Thanks for that. The scavaging feel is something I would have liked to have seen in the first L4D. Look forward to toting around an ak-47.

Still not sure if I will buy on the 17th... maybe if I can talk some co-workers into the 4 pack.

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
I'll give the demo a try but I'm still not sold. I bought three copies of the first game but at this point I have only played ~20 hours all together, not sure it's worth it.

sanzen07

Feb 15, 2007
I'll wait for the public demo. I'm not holding my breath for this one. I've played the original for probably around 30 hours and don't really pick it up anymore.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I'll wait for the public demo. I'm not holding my breath for this one. I've played the original for probably around 30 hours and don't really pick it up anymore.

The sad thing is that L4D2 is probably what L4D1 should have been. It just seems like they bought the game studio and did nothing to the game and just thought that they're going to release another one a year later. The first one left a bad taste in many people's mouths.