Justice Down! We have a Justice Down! RBG! Now with cancer

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
Actually, she can handle her own. Remember when she was falling asleep during that State of the Union speech some years ago? Her and Scalia had been tossing a few back before that (bourbon, I think it was)

Oh she drinks and I’m sure she’s feisty. She’s not a kegeger kind of girl.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Being a diminutive 85yr old with the expected amount of balance and strength? I've seen well muscled youngsters fall over themselves before, with little cause, so anything is possible with a swift gust of gravity.

I cracked a trio of ribs once, when I lived in Florida.
I once had cracked ribs. I was a new employee at a dairy and my supervisor told me to climb up on a tractor, showed me the controls and directed me to dump moldy grain over the edge of a cliff. When I got there I spaced out how to put on the brake and went over the cliff. It's the only time in my life when I thought to myself, "I die now, this is it." Over the edge of the cliff I went, still atop the tractor. But the machine stuck in some shrubbery and I got to climb back over the top of the cliff. The company sent me to their doctor who listened to my story and falsified the report, indicating my accident had been something entirely different, e.g. he fell in the barn, not having seen where he was stepping. Sonofabitch. Not that I had a mind to sue them, that wasn't me, but I never forgot that.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
If anyone was going to fall in their office, I'd figure it would be the drunk frat boy...

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
How the hell do you fall like that in your office?

I take it you don't know how people age. She is 85 years old. She would have become relatively feeble 15-20 years ago.

Seniors become weak, and each movement is painful. It's a struggle just to maintain control of ones muscles. Kind of an important thing for standing and moving around independently. Age and/or injury strips us of that mobility. (Biologically, age is just an accumulation of injury, of damage to our cells.)

After that, it's a matter of frailty. A pre-teen would take that fall and giggle about it. A teenager, maybe a bruise. An adult? Risk of broken bone. Elderly? Risk of fatality, especially on blood thinners.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Well there aren't any left wing conspiracy sites like infoworld so let me start this rumor.

RGB was pushed.

Jan 25, 2011
I again think I'm going to be sick.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/21/sup...-85-reportedly-undergoes-lung-procedure-.html

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, 85, underwent a lung procedure to remove a cancerous growth on Friday, the Supreme Court said in a release.

She is "resting comfortably" at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City. There was no evidence of any remaining disease following the surgery, the court said. There was no evidence of disease elsewhere in Ginsburg's body.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Jan 25, 2011
If there is no cancer after surgical removal, there's a good chance she's cured. The scans will only pick up visible masses down to about 1 mm, of course. However, even if the cancer comes back, she probably has at least a few more years. And with her, I have a feeling she'd stay on the court even through chemo.
I don't think she would leave the court either, however, there is that small part of me that wonders if she will finally decide it's time for some me time given where she is...

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Man, I feel for this women. She just cannot catch a break. This would be her... third round with cancer?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Whiskey tango foxtrot... fingers crossed they got it all.

I'm still trying to get over the nausea from Jim Mattis leaving, and now I read this. The Russian Asset getting the chance to further corrupt the USSC makes me wonder where are the Tums?

Last edited:

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
If there is no cancer after surgical removal, there's a good chance she's cured. The scans will only pick up visible masses down to about 1 mm, of course. However, even if the cancer comes back, she probably has at least a few more years. And with her, I have a feeling she'd stay on the court even through chemo.

She might be labeled cured but stage I non-small cell lung cancer still has a pretty high 5-year morality. It's quite complicated staging, though, and I'm far from up to date on it. Still plenty of post-operative risks to navigate. Hoping everything goes well RBG!

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Lol I was shocked to hear that like 10 years ago she had pancreatic cancer.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
With how much has happened to her, for her to have such a strong will to live on is amazing.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

That's what I expect, that she'll hang around as long as Trump and his worst are gone and then just go to sleep with a real "mission accomplished".

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Being 85 has a pretty high 5-year mortality rate as well!

Yeah, it's a lot tougher to recover when you're in that age bracket and older even if you are in good shape physically. My M-I-L is 90 and still going strong. She's great. She's physically active, does not get sick, smart, still mentally sharp and has a photographic memory. My wife has been working with her lately on ancestry.com and it's unbelievable the things she can remember even when she very young.

I hope RBG gets back on her feet quickly. She's a tough old bird.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Many of those good Christians are calling for her death openly on several other sites.

TBF, you don't know if those posters are "good Christians" and the left does the same thing to conservatives. #bothsides

And, yes, Christians can be evil, especially in the South. You have to watch out for those southern baptists.