just bought a PS3 and I am regretting it

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I just bought one of the new super slim PS3 consoles and I cant believe how people put up with this. I am playing Uncharted and the disc player is loud as hell ruining the gaming experience especially during quiet parts of a game. the player itself is pretty loud but the whirring and speeding up/slowing down noise made when reading is ridiculous. I did a quick search and it seems like a pretty common complaint even on the previous slim models. and please dont tell me that yours is quiet as I heard the same excuse when I used a noisy Wii a while back yet all 3 Wii consoles I tried made the same noise. for the Wii it was something to do with being loud when reading dual layer discs.

getting back to the PS3, it also seems there are occasional pauses when walking or even looking around at times in Uncharted as I guess its reading from the disc. the screen also lots of jitter when looking around but I guess that is because its only at 30 fps. still there are a few places where it sort gets pixelated if you move fast which is odd. and it happens even on the crt so it is the game and/or PS3 not the tv. and screen tearing is pretty noticeable too although its not a annoying as the other stuff.

at this point I think I will just return it but it appears I will get a restocking fee from newegg though.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I have a PS3 Slim (not the Ultra Slim) that I purchased let's see... I think it was just last year, 2011... anyway, I also have an XBox 360 and a Wii.

The 360 dates to, I'd say, 2009? It's not the Slim model they have. It's a very dark grey, traditional original style shape... but within the original shape life cycle prior to slim, it definitely fell on the tail end of that, so it's not ancient.

My Wii is a black one, from after the MotionPlus was incorporated into the controller. So, pretty new as Wiis go.

With regard to my PS3 and Wii, I haven't ever noticed much sound. They certainly do make noise, but it's easily ignored. It's not much, and it's easily drowned out by the sounds from the game or blu-ray or Netflix. I mostly use the PS3 for blu-rays and Netflix, some streaming from my PC hard drive too sometimes.

But, make no mistake I definitely game on the PS3. Just not a ton. I've never been bugged by the noise.

Now, my XBox 360 on the other hand... is LOUD AS FUCK. At least, by comparison. I still deal with it, but out of the three? The 360 is easily, by far, the loudest. At least three times as loud as the PS3.

One thing that helps me is that I use Sony wireless headphones for my TV, at least a lot of the time I do. When I'm not using those, I'm using my Yamaha sound bar. I sit pretty close to the TV, and the headphones I'm only using late at night to not wake up my gf... so, I dunno. Headphones might be a good way for you to address this. Or getting a regular Slim... if possible.

How loud is your XBox by comparison, if you have one?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
No, I have the old fat PS3 and if you wanna talk about loud...when the fan spins up...wow. And my Xbox 360...I also have the old one and the dvd drive is loud as hell.

Playing uncharted it never stutters ever. Doesn't anyone turn up their receiver anymore? Seriously...the game has LPCM surround sound and you don't use it? What about a nice headset or something? The gameplay drowns out any noise my consoles make by far!

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I never said anything about audio stutter. I was just talking about the little hitch as it read from the disc.

dalearyous

Jan 8, 2006
xbox 360 is the loudest, then ps3, then the wii.

and uncharted is a super demanding game. i never had issues because all my uncharted games ran straight off the hard drive so no stutters, jitters, lag, or long load times :)

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
can I put every game on the hard drive? I did not even see an option to do that when playing Uncharted.

dalearyous, I have looked again and still see no way to play Uncharted from the hard drive so I would like to know what you are talking about.

Last edited:

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
can I put every game on the hard drive? I did not even see an option to do that when playing Uncharted.

dalearyous, I have looked again and still see no way to play Uncharted from the hard drive so I would like to know what you are talking about.

Maybe he bought them via the Sony Online service on PS3 rather than discs? I don't know just speculating.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Maybe he bought them via the Sony Online service on PS3 rather than discs? I don't know just speculating.
yeah that's possible but I think only the first two Uncharted games are there so he certainly did not play the 3rd from the hd.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yeah that's what I mean. I never saw that to be quite honest. I believe there is an install for uncharted anyway. Didn't it prompt you? Been a while for me though. Maybe check the options for an install option. I do know a lot of games have a mandatory install because of the slowish blu-ray drive.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i have a ps3 fat and it's pretty quiet for the most part. i also don't remember any stuttering during any of the 3 uncharted games as far as loading goes. nor do i remember any pixelation while moving fast - are you sure you aren't talking about the motion blur that is supposed to be there?

screen tearing - yea, that was pretty atrocious in uncharted 1, especially the part on the jet ski. it did get better in the next iterations, and to be honest i don't even remember part 3 having any issue, although it may.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
I have a PS3 slim and there is an annoying loud beeping noise when it accesses the disk. Very annoying in games that access the disk a lot like Mass Effect 3.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
yea the PS3 makes some noise but it does not have anything on the 360, the 360 is like a jet engine, but i agree the disk read on the PS3 is annoying. and you cant just install every game to the HDD like you can on the xbox. which if fing stupid.

as for your other issues i cant comment.

i drown out the noise bu just turning the audio up

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Yeah that's what I mean. I never saw that to be quite honest. I believe there is an install for uncharted anyway. Didn't it prompt you? Been a while for me though. Maybe check the options for an install option. I do know a lot of games have a mandatory install because of the slowish blu-ray drive.
there is no install for Uncharted or hardly any other games from what I can see. and yeah the br drive seems slow as hell as I noticed a few slow downs when it needs to read the disc. if games could just be loaded to the hard drive then I would be much happier. I am trying the PS3 in diffident locations to try reduce how much I hear it but its still noticeable.

btw Uncharted looks way better on my big old crt than on my 1080 monitor. I dont think I am even going to bother hooking the PS3 up to an lcd tv.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Get a louder sound system.

I have to crank up the sound to drown out the projector fans above my head. Consoles were 16 feet away and virtually silent, even with an old school Elite.

Last edited:

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
No game is totally silent. There is almost always background music, ambient sounds, etc.

Modern consoles are incredibly powerful, there is no getting around cramming a PC into a shoe box and not having it be loud. :(

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
It helps when you crank up the volume on your stereo and is also losing your hearing like me. I can't hear a thing when I'm playing on my PS3 fatty (80GB default, upgraded to 320GB).

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
I remember that Uncharted 1 was really loud when accessing the disc to the point I thought there was something wrong with the drive. I never had that issue with any other game including the later Uncharted games. Mine is a regular slim model.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
there is no install for Uncharted or hardly any other games from what I can see. and yeah the br drive seems slow as hell as I noticed a few slow downs when it needs to read the disc. if games could just be loaded to the hard drive then I would be much happier. I am trying the PS3 in diffident locations to try reduce how much I hear it but its still noticeable.

btw Uncharted looks way better on my big old crt than on my 1080 monitor. I dont think I am even going to bother hooking the PS3 up to an lcd tv.

Hrm...how did you connect to the monitor? I assume HDMI, but I will say that Uncharted does not output 1080p so you are upscaling it on your monitor and probably why it looks worse.

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Can you not install games on the PS3? That would suck if you couldn't, can't imagine playing games with discs spinning nowadays.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Can you not install games on the PS3? That would suck if you couldn't, can't imagine playing games with discs spinning nowadays.

That's what I was wondering, on the 360 you can install any game to the hard drive, and voila, no more spinning optical drive.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Actually on the Xbox it still uses the drive just not as often. Same as on the PS3 but not every PS3 game can install the disk contents to the HDD. The OS doesn't explicitly support this but the dev can allow the option. On the Xbox the OS supports the instillation of game files to the HDD.