just bought a PS3 and I am regretting it

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by toyota, Nov 7, 2012.

1. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

I know my fat ps3 is louder than your slim by far but my game sounds and movies always overpower that by a good bit.

2. Schfifty Five

I have a fat 80gb PS3 and I have never heard or noticed any loud noises while playing a game or watching a movie.

I have heard the disc reading noise during load times, but that's to be expected.

I also sit about 6 feet away from the PS3 so maybe that helps?

3. toyota

toyota Lifer

the disc reading noise is the only noise I have complained about. its absolutely ridiculous how loud it is and it happens many times while playing a game.

EDIT: called newegg and they are sending me a prepaid shipping label and giving me a full refund for PS3 and the games I ordered.

#53 toyota, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  4. Pr0d1gy

Pr0d1gy Diamond Member

Awesome, thanks for passing that cost onto the rest of us instead of doing some research before you bought something. Way to think it out.

5. Geosurface

Geosurface Diamond Member

I wouldn't be so harsh on him, the vid sounded pretty loud. I think a regular slim is the answer. Maybe on black Friday?

6. Jules

Jules Lifer

I don't have this issue on my PS3 Slim sorry.

7. dbk

dbk Lifer

i sit like 4 feet back and never hear it.

8. toyota

toyota Lifer

anybody claiming not to hear the disc reading has hearing problems or its no where near you. I can clearly hear it even in another room. the video I posted shows what it sounds like on any super slim and even the regular slim, xbox 360 and Wii make a similar sound and that is fact. the mine does not do it claim is silly as I never found a single console that cant clearly be heard reading the disc. the super slim is certainly the loudest I have heard though. I bought a 360 and luckily I can just install the games right on the hard drive. of course some of you claimed to install and run all your ps 3 games from the hard drive which is not even possible.

#58 toyota, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  9. Geosurface

Geosurface Diamond Member

Toyota I'm going to record a vid soon of my PS3 sound level for you to see, it's pretty damn quiet

10. RedRooster

RedRooster Diamond Member

I've had two copies of the exact same game and even THOSE sounded different just spinning in the drive.
    There are a lot of variables.

11. Jules

Jules Lifer

Same here mine is quiet, my other slim was a bit loud.

12. SheHateMe

SheHateMe Diamond Member

Sounds like a case of someone who claims to have supersonic hearing. I have a slim and it is not loud, even when the disc loads. Wanna hear loud? Check out my 7950 when the fan speed is past 40%

13. toyota

toyota Lifer

very true as the game disc itself can most certainly be a major contributing factor.

I returned it and now have an xbox360. its a little noisy when reading disc but since I can install to the hard drive its not an issue. maybe the PS4 will allow that and I can just get the PS3 exclusives from the playstation store at that time too if they are not compatible.

only thing that has pissed off about the 360 so far is they have the nerve to require you have a gold account just to watch netflix. that's a waste as I have no other need for a gold account at all.

14. SheHateMe

SheHateMe Diamond Member

Take PS3 back, buy console that requires you to spend money to use your Internet connection + services you already paid for.

15. sze5003

sze5003 Lifer

Maybe you seriously had a defective model. I have a slim and never hear it even with low volume on the tv.

16. toyota

toyota Lifer

AGAIN I already said that I tried another unit and it did the same exact noise. all the consoles are pretty loud when reading a disc but it can vary from exact model and games being read. I swear some of you people must have hearing problems...lol

#66 toyota, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  17. Todd33

Todd33 Diamond Member

The BD read noise is not even close to as loud as the 12x DVD vacuum cleaner inside the 360. Enjoy installing every game you have to avoid the noise. Also enjoy paying to use Netflix and downloading new demos. LOL.

18. toyota

toyota Lifer

sorry but the PS 3 blu ray drive is much louder than the 360 drive as I had both here at the same time. and it takes only a few minutes to install a game on the hard drive in the 360 so how is that possibly a negative? and I can watch netflix for free on my pc and tv in my living room so no big deal there even though it is silly of them to require gold membership for that. really you seem to be a PS 3 fanboy and only looking at negatives from the 360.

19. zerocool84

zerocool84 Lifer

Millions of people have said the 360 drive is louder than the PS3 drive and I agree with them as well. It's the general consensus.

20. toyota

toyota Lifer

well its not so with the newer 360 and the super slim PS 3 when it comes to disc reading noise. I have heard an older 360 and it was indeed louder in every way though.

21. zerocool84

zerocool84 Lifer

I have a Slim 360 and a Slim PS3 and the 360 is still infinitely louder.

22. toyota

toyota Lifer

I said super slim. I have heard the regular slim PS 3 and its quieter than the super slim PS 3.

23. Sulaco

Sulaco Diamond Member

Infinitely? Uh, no. Where would this forum be without laughable hyperbole.

The 360 Slim is still marginally louder, but neither should be very audible when playing a game or watching a movie at anything approaching reasonable sitting distance, especially with current big screens.

24. toyota

toyota Lifer

again its only very audible when having to read the disc. every console out there has varying levels of annoying sound when doing that. the Wii was the most annoying because it almost continuously read the disc if it was dual layer. it was not tolerable for me at all. the super slim PS 3 is very loud but at least it does not have to read the whole time like the Wii did. the 360 was slightly quieter but is not an issue now as it only has to check the disc with the game installed on the hard drive. my old Gamecube is way quieter than any new consoles but even it annoyed me a bit.

25. mikeymikec

mikeymikec Diamond Member

Has anyone here tried replacing the optical drive of any of these 'loud' consoles?

(I don't have one and so I don't have first-hand experience of this sort of issue)