just bought a PS3 and I am regretting it

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I know my fat ps3 is louder than your slim by far but my game sounds and movies always overpower that by a good bit.

Oct 20, 2005
I have a fat 80gb PS3 and I have never heard or noticed any loud noises while playing a game or watching a movie.

I have heard the disc reading noise during load times, but that's to be expected.

I also sit about 6 feet away from the PS3 so maybe that helps?

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I have a fat 80gb PS3 and I have never heard or noticed any loud noises while playing a game or watching a movie.

I have heard the disc reading noise during load times, but that's to be expected.

I also sit about 6 feet away from the PS3 so maybe that helps?
the disc reading noise is the only noise I have complained about. its absolutely ridiculous how loud it is and it happens many times while playing a game.

EDIT: called newegg and they are sending me a prepaid shipping label and giving me a full refund for PS3 and the games I ordered.

Last edited:

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
EDIT: called newegg and they are sending me a prepaid shipping label and giving me a full refund for PS3 and the games I ordered.

Awesome, thanks for passing that cost onto the rest of us instead of doing some research before you bought something. Way to think it out.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I wouldn't be so harsh on him, the vid sounded pretty loud. I think a regular slim is the answer. Maybe on black Friday?

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I just bought one of the new super slim PS3 consoles and I cant believe how people put up with this. I am playing Uncharted and the disc player is loud as hell ruining the gaming experience especially during quiet parts of a game. the player itself is pretty loud but the whirring and speeding up/slowing down noise made when reading is ridiculous. I did a quick search and it seems like a pretty common complaint even on the previous slim models. and please dont tell me that yours is quiet as I heard the same excuse when I used a noisy Wii a while back yet all 3 Wii consoles I tried made the same noise. for the Wii it was something to do with being loud when reading dual layer discs.

getting back to the PS3, it also seems there are occasional pauses when walking or even looking around at times in Uncharted as I guess its reading from the disc. the screen also lots of jitter when looking around but I guess that is because its only at 30 fps. still there are a few places where it sort gets pixelated if you move fast which is odd. and it happens even on the crt so it is the game and/or PS3 not the tv. and screen tearing is pretty noticeable too although its not a annoying as the other stuff.

at this point I think I will just return it but it appears I will get a restocking fee from newegg though.

I don't have this issue on my PS3 Slim sorry.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
anybody claiming not to hear the disc reading has hearing problems or its no where near you. I can clearly hear it even in another room. the video I posted shows what it sounds like on any super slim and even the regular slim, xbox 360 and Wii make a similar sound and that is fact. the mine does not do it claim is silly as I never found a single console that cant clearly be heard reading the disc. the super slim is certainly the loudest I have heard though. I bought a 360 and luckily I can just install the games right on the hard drive. of course some of you claimed to install and run all your ps 3 games from the hard drive which is not even possible.

Last edited:

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Toyota I'm going to record a vid soon of my PS3 sound level for you to see, it's pretty damn quiet

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I've had two copies of the exact same game and even THOSE sounded different just spinning in the drive.
There are a lot of variables.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Sounds like a case of someone who claims to have supersonic hearing. I have a slim and it is not loud, even when the disc loads. Wanna hear loud? Check out my 7950 when the fan speed is past 40%

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I've had two copies of the exact same game and even THOSE sounded different just spinning in the drive.
There are a lot of variables.
very true as the game disc itself can most certainly be a major contributing factor.

I returned it and now have an xbox360. its a little noisy when reading disc but since I can install to the hard drive its not an issue. maybe the PS4 will allow that and I can just get the PS3 exclusives from the playstation store at that time too if they are not compatible.

only thing that has pissed off about the 360 so far is they have the nerve to require you have a gold account just to watch netflix. that's a waste as I have no other need for a gold account at all.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Take PS3 back, buy console that requires you to spend money to use your Internet connection + services you already paid for.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Maybe you seriously had a defective model. I have a slim and never hear it even with low volume on the tv.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Maybe you seriously had a defective model. I have a slim and never hear it even with low volume on the tv.
AGAIN I already said that I tried another unit and it did the same exact noise. all the consoles are pretty loud when reading a disc but it can vary from exact model and games being read. I swear some of you people must have hearing problems...lol

Last edited:

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
The BD read noise is not even close to as loud as the 12x DVD vacuum cleaner inside the 360. Enjoy installing every game you have to avoid the noise. Also enjoy paying to use Netflix and downloading new demos. LOL.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
The BD read noise is not even close to as loud as the 12x DVD vacuum cleaner inside the 360. Enjoy installing every game you have to avoid the noise. Also enjoy paying to use Netflix and downloading new demos. LOL.
sorry but the PS 3 blu ray drive is much louder than the 360 drive as I had both here at the same time. and it takes only a few minutes to install a game on the hard drive in the 360 so how is that possibly a negative? and I can watch netflix for free on my pc and tv in my living room so no big deal there even though it is silly of them to require gold membership for that. really you seem to be a PS 3 fanboy and only looking at negatives from the 360.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
sorry but the PS 3 blu ray drive is much louder than the 360 drive as I had both here at the same time. and it takes only a few minutes to install a game on the hard drive in the 360 so how is that possibly a negative? and I can watch netflix for free on my pc and tv in my living room so no big deal there even though it is silly of them to require gold membership for that. really you seem to be a PS 3 fanboy and only looking at negatives from the 360.

Millions of people have said the 360 drive is louder than the PS3 drive and I agree with them as well. It's the general consensus.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Millions of people have said the 360 drive is louder than the PS3 drive and I agree with them as well. It's the general consensus.
well its not so with the newer 360 and the super slim PS 3 when it comes to disc reading noise. I have heard an older 360 and it was indeed louder in every way though.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
well its not so with the newer 360 and the super slim PS 3 when it comes to disc reading noise. I have heard an older 360 and it was indeed louder in every way though.

I have a Slim 360 and a Slim PS3 and the 360 is still infinitely louder.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
I have a Slim 360 and a Slim PS3 and the 360 is still infinitely louder.

Infinitely? Uh, no. Where would this forum be without laughable hyperbole.

The 360 Slim is still marginally louder, but neither should be very audible when playing a game or watching a movie at anything approaching reasonable sitting distance, especially with current big screens.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
again its only very audible when having to read the disc. every console out there has varying levels of annoying sound when doing that. the Wii was the most annoying because it almost continuously read the disc if it was dual layer. it was not tolerable for me at all. the super slim PS 3 is very loud but at least it does not have to read the whole time like the Wii did. the 360 was slightly quieter but is not an issue now as it only has to check the disc with the game installed on the hard drive. my old Gamecube is way quieter than any new consoles but even it annoyed me a bit.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Has anyone here tried replacing the optical drive of any of these 'loud' consoles?

(I don't have one and so I don't have first-hand experience of this sort of issue)