just bought a PS3 and I am regretting it

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by toyota, Nov 7, 2012.

1. jpiniero

jpiniero Diamond Member

What gets put on the HD is up to the developer on the PS3. It really depends on the game. IIRC, the Uncharted games have a small cache.

2. wirednuts

wirednuts Diamond Member

the original ps3 has the biggest heatsink and fan ive ever seen in any small electronic device. its roughly 75% the size of the entire machine.

3. mmntech

mmntech Lifer

I've yet to own a device with a high speed optical drive that wasn't noisy. That's what happens when you spin a chunk of plastic at those kind of RPMs. The old fat models got pretty noisy when they heated up but the Slims are much quieter by comparison. I can't vouch for the new corrugated slim though.

As for screen tearing, is this all games or just one. I personally haven't noticed this. Could be a bug in whatever you were playing.

4. sze5003

sze5003 Lifer

I have a slim ps3 version 1 haha and it installs the game to the hard drive.

5. RedRooster

RedRooster Diamond Member

I suppose as much as it pains us old timers, that'll be one benefit to the digital download age whenever it comes! Even if the game was tied to your gamer account(and thus couldn't be re-sold), having a bunch of USB keys laying around(assuming you get the console with the small/no hard drive) with games on them wouldn't be the worst thing.

#30 RedRooster, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  6. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

I'd rather get the disk and then be able to install it to the HDD and just put the disk away like a PC game.

7. RedRooster

RedRooster Diamond Member

Oh, I would too. I'm just saying, if they come with 1-2TB hard drives or at least easy ways to expand the storage(like the XBoxs with USB keys), and then end up selling games for 50% of the price of physical media, I wouldn't be as upset as I once was when digital distribution was first talked about.

8. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

If they game was discounted and available the same day as retail that wouldn't bother me. Although I do also like sometimes swapping games with friends to let them play it as well since not all my friends can afford every game and I can play some stuff they got that I might not necessarily have tried. Plus I'm pretty good personal friends with one of the local gamestop managers so I give him a lot of my gaming business.

9. zerocool84

zerocool84 Lifer

Just what others said, if you think the new PS3 Slim is loud, go play a game on an original fat 360, jumbo jet loud. Even the Slim 360's are loud if you don't install the games to the hard drive which I do with every game.

10. toyota

toyota Lifer

there are plenty of very quiet spots in games and at those times its really annoying if the disc is being read. and modern consoles are not powerful at all. you can easily get a fairly modest laptop that is smaller, quieter and just as fast or faster. and the issue has NOTHING to do with how powerful they are. the issue is that the game has to read from the disc quite often and when it does that it is load.

11. Insomniator

Insomniator Diamond Member

I've never heard my xbox slim or ps3 fat make any noise. Are you playing with the speakers muted?

Ruining the experience? May be taking it too seriously...

12. toyota

toyota Lifer

what does that even mean? games do not get fully installed to the hard drive and that is a fact. heck most of them dont hardly install anything at all on the hard drive.

13. toyota

toyota Lifer

the spinning is not that annoying and its just when it has to read that it bothers me.

14. hans030390

hans030390 Diamond Member

Hmm...maybe the newest super slim model is louder than its predecessors when reading discs. Or it could just be that particular game, as something mentioned.

My PS3 is usually extremely quiet, but I have one of the old fat models. I need to reapply the thermal paste, though, as it can get loud when hot. Still nothing compared to the older 360s.

15. gorcorps

gorcorps aka Brandon

In the 360 there's only the disc check when the games starts then it doesn't use the disc again.

16. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

I hear the disk spin up with some titles. What is it doing then?

17. Geosurface

Geosurface Diamond Member

If it's anything like Morrowind for PC years ago, it's checking to make sure the disc is still there. (Many games did this, probably still do, just the first example that came to mind)

18. clok1966

clok1966 Golden Member

I know some PS3 Slims are louder then others.. I have 3 in my house, one in my room, one in my living room and one in the roommates bedroom.. the one in my room and in roommates bedroom both are almost very quiet, even with no volume i cant hear the drive from my chair 5 feet away.. the one that gets used the least (livingroom) is quite loud, at 10 feet with volume on i can hear that high pitched sound sometimes. I tend to think some drives are just louder then others..

but gotta agree.. my launch day 360 (only one in existence still without RROD i think) is loud.. not bad but its got some fan noise when cooling. But i have 2 modded 360's and they are both Jet engines.. so loud that I seldom use um.. just flat annoying. I even ran the fans slower to get rid of noise but those damn boxes get blazing hot without it full blast almost.

19. Dumac

Dumac Diamond Member

I have a fat PS3 and Black 360. 360 can sound noisy when launching the game, but then the audio beings and the noise is drowned out.

20. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

Might be right

21. Todd33

Todd33 Diamond Member

I doubt the disc reading is that loud, turn the volume up or move the console. You can't really complain about Uncharted's graphics if you play any console games, 30fps is the norm and most games don't keep up with that. The tearing was present, but UC2 and UC3 moved to triple buffering.

22. toyota

toyota Lifer

so you doubt the disc reading is loud enough to bother me? lol, that does not make sense as its my ears we are talking about. again a simple google search will show even the regular slim has tons of complaints about disc reading noise. I have no placed it behind the tv and that has helped tremendously. if I did not have an air purifier or some other noise though I would still easily be able to hear it.

EDIT: okay here is a capture of the sound with my camera. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2JrZpX7qQs&feature=youtu.be

I dont think I can take it anymore and will be contacting newegg on Monday to see if they will work with me.

#47 toyota, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  23. toyota

toyota Lifer

bought another one and it makes the same noise when reading too. maybe I should get a slim instead of super slim model.

24. Geosurface

Geosurface Diamond Member

I concur, get a slim if possible. My slim has no such noise or if it does it's certainly not anything a person would notice without their head right next to it. I've been very close to my slim while no speaker sound happened but a disc was read and heard nothing like that

25. clok1966

clok1966 Golden Member

two with it.. I feel for ya, maybe you are more attuned to certain sounds then the rest of us? I have a guy in our office that can hear dog whistles.. when the rest of us cant.. you can put him in other end of office with walls between us and he can tell us when it blown..Some people may dislike certian sounds more..

I still think your having bad luck.. we just got 40 new PC's all the same parts, 2 of them when fired up the DVD drives are noticeable at 30 feet away, the rest are all quiet even up close..