just bought a PS3 and I am regretting it

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Has anyone here tried replacing the optical drive of any of these 'loud' consoles?

(I don't have one and so I don't have first-hand experience of this sort of issue)
I know the Wii disc drive could be modded and made much quieter but it was not something I was brave enough to attempt.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
This is a known quantity with the super slims. Unfortunate in my opinion. I believe there are still plenty of the regular slims floating around in the retail channel but that will probably change by the end of the season. If you would like a PS3 then I suggest you seek out a regular slim now.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
a regular slim is hard to justify though when a super slim with several games is much cheaper. I went ahead and picked up another one today as I really want to play those exclusives. for $199 with Uncharted double pack and Infamous double pack, I think I can deal with it. I will just make sure my air purifier is on to help drown out the noise. plus I may throw a towel on the very top of it too. lol

if I could just install the games on the hard drive then the problem would be solved.

Last edited:

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
if I could just install the games on the hard drive then the problem would be solved.
Only skimmed the thread. I have a 360. So, really a lot of games cannot much, or at least fully be installed on the pS3? What's the use of its big HD? I bought that bundle you have, but I've not opened it yet. I have no use for the HD if I cannot install games on it subtantially :(

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Only skimmed the thread. I have a 360. So, really a lot of games cannot much, or at least fully be installed on the pS3? What's the use of its big HD? I bought that bundle you have, but I've not opened it yet. I have no use for the HD if I cannot install games on it subtantially :(

It all depends on the game if it'll install. My hard drive is full because of Playstation Plus.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Who said netflix was free ? I pay 8 bucks a month for it and can watch it where ever I please.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I love my PS3. it is the system i use the most. from netflix, movies to games. I love enjoy useing the "eye" or whatever it is. The sports game is great. i wish they would come out with more and better games.

I been thinking of getting a 360 for the kenic.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Good vid. not soundless, but pretty quiet esp. compared to original.
actually that does not show the aggravating disc reading noise. anyway its beyond ridiculous how loud the damn thing is when reading the disc. the stupid replys about turn up the volume are useless as there are tons of places in games where music is not may to be loud or gunfire is not happening.

on top of that the damn game will occasionally pause just a bit sometimes when it has to read the disc. and that happened on all 3 I have used so please dont tell me its defective. also the PS 3 just froze up during Uncharted today which required me to restart the PS 3. a quick google search shows this to be somewhat common.

I really want to like the PS 3 but tbh it is not impressing me at all. not only is the disc reading just damn silly loud but I dont have confidence in it after it froze up. the ONLY reason I got it is for the exclusives so I am trying my best to stick with it. the 360 I bought has not given me a single issue and can play games quietly from the hard drive.

Apr 12, 2010
My gaming computer is louder, I don't even hear it in comparison.

If you want to talk about loud scary disc reading noise, let's not get started on Dreamcast backups where data wasn't organized well.
Possible that badly organized data requiring above average seeking & movement will speed up wear on laser assembly. I don't want my DC to die any time soon!

Last edited: