Joe Torre is out as Yankees manager

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Originally posted by: Sinsear
Sad day for Yankeeland yesterday. Joe torre is a class act and deserved better.

That being said, i guess it's time for the Mattingly era to be ushered in. Who better than Donnie Baseball for NY?

I hope it's not Mattingly.
The next Yankee manager is in a really tough situation.

yeap. whoever they bring in is going to have to win the series. anything less and people are going to revolt!

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy

That being said, i guess it's time for the Mattingly era to be ushered in. Who better than Donnie Baseball for NY?

yeap. whoever they bring in is going to have to win the series. anything less and people are going to revolt!

It's not the people.
It's Yankees front office guys.
The fans want Torre, for the most part.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007

You make a good point, with Torre's shoes being hard to fill and the expectations being so high; I would have a hard time with my loyalty if Don was to be fired. He was my childhood sports hero growing up, so to me he is the Yankees ,and when he retired I always knew he was going to come back again as a coach/manager.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy

It's not the people.
It's Yankees front office guys.
The fans want Torre, for the most part.

yeap i know that.

wich is why i think teh new guy better win the series. or fans re going to lynch the new guy heh.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
I heard some of Torre's press conference and as expected, he was a class act. I am the biggest Yankee hater you will find (unfortunate Rangers fan here) but they are idiots for letting him go. I doubt this team would have made the playoffs this year with anyone else.

It was interesting that he did admit their offer was an insult, I didn't even think he would go that far.

I am going to love the next few years of baseball, the Yankees are going to suck and the Rangers are rebuilding (although honestly when aren't they). I think the only thing that could make it better would be if Torre went to the Mets and won a world series.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: lupi
Was listening to Peter Gammons and some others earlier and they"re saying that the Yanks didn't want to suffer the publicity hit of canning hom so they offered a contract with terms that was virtually assured to be declined by Torre.

Canning him?
They would not have fired him.
His contract was up.

And for someone that works contract to contract, the difference is?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: thepd7
I heard some of Torre's press conference and as expected, he was a class act. I am the biggest Yankee hater you will find (unfortunate Rangers fan here) but they are idiots for letting him go. I doubt this team would have made the playoffs this year with anyone else.

It was interesting that he did admit their offer was an insult, I didn't even think he would go that far.

I am going to love the next few years of baseball, the Yankees are going to suck and the Rangers are rebuilding (although honestly when aren't they). I think the only thing that could make it better would be if Torre went to the Mets and won a world series.

I don't think Joe wants to go down that road again.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl
What an intelligent decision. Force out one of the best managers in baseball. Brilliant!!

I can't stand the Yankees but I thought Torre was a great manager and a class act.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Well for those still thinking the Yanks didn't send Torre an offer they believed he would turn down, reports now coming that Girardi (sp) has been offered the job for more than the $5.5 mil to be given to Torre.