Joe Torre is out as Yankees manager

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Just reported on WFAN:

Torre just declined the Yankees offer of $5 million/year (down from $7 million) with postseason incentives of $1 million per round of playoffs/WS. Meaning he could have made $8 million if they won the WS.

I'm a little sad to see him go, he was a total class-act and I believe an excellent manager.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Just reported on WFAN:

Torre just declined the Yankees offer of $5 million/year (down from $7 million) with postseason incentives of $1 million per round of playoffs/WS. Meaning he could have made $8 million if they won the WS.

I'm a little sad to see him go, he was a total class-act and I believe an excellent manager.
Wow that was a fair offer IMO. Oh well fuck the Yankees I hope they suffer;)

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
I'm sad to see him go also, but good for Joe.

This was a slap in the face. Im sure he didnt want to be in the same position again at this time next year. Why should he take less pay and still be on the hot seat.

Here is to the end of a great era as a yankee fan. I loved Joe as a manager and what he did for the team, but I am glad this is how he went out, on his own terms. They strung him along for a week, and then he slapped their hand away when they tried to bring him back.

Now on to the speculation for who is next.. Anyone think its not Donnie baseball? I hope it isnt Tony LaRussa

MBrown

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Just reported on WFAN:

Wow that was a fair offer IMO. Oh well fuck the Yankees I hope they suffer;)

Same :)

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Ummm, newsflash here Zippy, that doesn't necessarily mean he's out and that damn well ISN'T official. It means he rejected that particular contract offer.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
interesting i assumed they would just let him go, im supprized he didnt take the offer

pretty well known that im not a NYY fan, however Joe was an excellent manager

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
Ummm, newsflash here Zippy, that doesn't necessarily mean he's out and that damn well ISN'T official. It means he rejected that particular contract offer.

"Search for successor begins."

There are no negotiations. He already left Tampa. George is not going to negotiate and get mud on his face again.

Torre is out. 100%

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

Yes it does. No need to be in denial..

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
im guessing its down to either mattingly or girardi. from the marlins dugout to the booth to the yankees dugout in a couple short years.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Syringer

Yes it does. No need to be in denial..

Right, right, I keep forgetting, nobody on earth has ever rejected a contract offer as a part of negotiations. :roll:

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Good for Torre! Steinbrenner is a demanding pos. I'm not a Yankee fan but I think that Torre did an awesome job as manager.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
I would do the same if i was him. Your boss comes out and threatens your job and even though you have a proven record? I mean, come on. Giving less pay just killed it even more.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
What an intelligent decision. Force out one of the best managers in baseball. Brilliant!!

I can't stand the Yankees but I thought Torre was a great manager and a class act.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
12 straight playoffs... 4 world series rings... and he's out?

The yankees are starting to remind me of the tampa bay bucs with tony dungie, and the chargers with Marty...

Good luck yankees... next year you might win 30 games.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: sao123

The yankees are starting to remind me of the tampa bay bucs with tony dungie, and the chargers with Marty...

This is a joke post, right?

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: foghorn67
I always wondered what Scioscia could do with a Yankees line-up.

Mike Scioscia would make Wang pitch better or make the hitters hit when it counts? Amazing!

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: jman19

Mike Scioscia would make Wang pitch better or make the hitters hit when it counts? Amazing!

I didn't say Scioscia is better then Torre, but he is very different.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: jman19

I didn't say Scioscia is better then Torre, but he is very different.

My point is that I think the Yankees PO failures are more due to the current mix of players than with the managing. I don't really think anything would have been different with Scioscia.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: sao123

Newflash: TB fired Dungy and then won the Super Bowl the next year under Grudin. Considering recent events, it's too early to declare the Chargers a bust. They'll probably win the AFC West again. After that who knows...

Maybe you shouldn't post in sports threads?
Or am I missing the sarcasm?

FWIW... It would have been far more respectful of the Yankees to just let Torre go and say they wanted to head in a new direction than to pull this crap.