Is Trump about to be indicted in NY?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Seriously how many times do you have to call him racist and then explain he isn't? If I have a nickel every time you type "racist" I can afford a Starbuck.

I'm sorry that the finer point is lost on you? Trump is a piece of shit, and does a lot of bad crap, but flat out racism....eh, it's not that black and white. And before I get the 'but he said' treatment again, if anyone has ever made derogatory remarks of any kind about another race, does that make you racist? Or does that only apply to the whites? Also waiting for the 'but I never' excuses which is most likely not the full truth. Obviously this ruffled a few feathers, but in case you haven't read my other posts in other threads, I hate Trump with a passion. So don't misinterpret my opinion here.

• Wow
Reactions: hal2kilo

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I'm sorry that the finer point is lost on you? Trump is a piece of shit, and does a lot of bad crap, but flat out racism....eh, it's not that black and white. And before I get the 'but he said' treatment again, if anyone has ever made derogatory remarks of any kind about another race, does that make you racist? Or does that only apply to the whites? Also waiting for the 'but I never' excuses which is most likely not the full truth. Obviously this ruffled a few feathers, but in case you haven't read my other posts in other threads, I hate Trump with a passion. So don't misinterpret my opinion here.
trump most definitely is racist as hell. you know, like this
]

you also don't put the likes of stephen miller and steve bannon on your staff...unless you're a giant PoS racist

Shamrock

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
CBS stated today, unlike criminal charges, a civil charge can use "pleading the 5th" against you. He did that 440 times in this suit.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I guess if you can't find anything illegal, keep harassing your political opponents with civil suits.
You know I have been racking my brain trying to figure out why, with all the screaming about witch hunts on the right why it is that the left just is too stupid to see it and it occurred to me like a bolt out of the blue one extremely remote possibility, but one that really would explain everything. Well the really weird thought that crossed my madcap brain was the notion, what if the explanation for all of that horrible harassment derives from the fact that Trump is guilty, that he actually is a fucking worthless piece of shit criminal. But, of course that is impossible because I couldn't possibly be that poor a judge of character. That would be really tough on my ego. Has to be wrong, right?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
And this makes how many indictments now?
Trump could use those indictments to build his wall.
Not an indictment, a lawsuit.
It's seems strange to me that Trump is being sued for his criminal activity rather than being arrested for it. The DA ran through a pretty extensive list of crimes that the other NY investigation appears to have missed, and decided to sue Trump rather than arrest him. I've never heard of that happening before.

I'll be very interested in seeing this story develop over the next couple of years.

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
It's seems strange to me that Trump is being sued for his criminal activity rather than being arrested for it. The DA ran through a pretty extensive list of crimes that the other NY investigation appears to have missed, and decided to sue Trump rather than arrest him. I've never heard of that happening before.

I'll be very interested in seeing this story develop over the next couple of years.
It’s a civil case, not a criminal case.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

May be a matter of the penalties New York can set in a lawsuit. If it were a criminal case, the punishments would boil down to prison time and maybe financial compensation. The civil lawsuit offers more flexibility, such as banning the Trumps from running businesses in the state.

Also, the reported crimes aren't limited to New York. The state wouldn't have as much ammunition if it was limited to its jurisdiction. That and I'm sure the DOJ referral was meant to goad the federal government into finally charging Trump with crimes.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
He's just old white man racist, which aren't technically the same.
Oh, no. Old man racist is the racists of racist that ever racist. They may not be the ones hoisting the rope, but that is only because they drove the pickup.

If he was playing fast and loose with the IRS, he's in trouble. Those folks aren't to be trifled with.
Unfortunately not. The IRS's official policy is that it is too much trouble to enforce tax law on anyone that is too rich or connected. Think I'm joking? It is literally official policy.
The IRS Admits It Doesn’t Audit the Rich Because It’s Too Hard
IRS: Sorry, but It’s Just Easier and Cheaper to Audit the Poor
Why the Rich Don’t Get Audited

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Oh, no. Old man racist is the racists of racist that ever racist. They may not be the ones hoisting the rope, but that is only because they drove the pickup.

Unfortunately not. The IRS's official polity is that it is too much trouble to enforce tax law on anyone that is too rich or connected. Think I'm joking? It is literally official policy.
The IRS Admits It Doesn’t Audit the Rich Because It’s Too Hard
IRS: Sorry, but It’s Just Easier and Cheaper to Audit the Poor
Why the Rich Don’t Get Audited
Who would have guessed that when you have enough money you can hire people to make your taxes an endless series of spiderwebs and nesting dolls.....

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

I'll let someone with more knowledge about this sort of thing like @woolfe9998 comment on how common it is to pursue a civil case in lieu of a criminal one in situations like these.

As it has been pointed out, a civil case does not preclude a criminal one from happening in the future, and information about possible crimes has been passed on to investigative authorities. It may well be coming.

Also please understand the burden of proof in civil cases is different from criminal ones, and you are allowed to make adverse inferences when someone invokes 5th amendment privilege. There is good reason that a civil case may be the best idea right now even if a criminal case also makes sense.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I'll let someone with more knowledge about this sort of thing like @woolfe9998 comment on how common it is to pursue a civil case in lieu of a criminal one in situations like these.

As it has been pointed out, a civil case does not preclude a criminal one from happening in the future, and information about possible crimes has been passed on to investigative authorities. It may well be coming.

Also please understand the burden of proof in civil cases is different from criminal ones, and you are allowed to make adverse inferences when someone invokes 5th amendment privilege. There is good reason that a civil case may be the best idea right now even if a criminal case also makes sense.

NYAG only has jurisdiction to prosecute specific crimes, where it is granted by a specific statute. Most types of crimes can only be prosecuted by local DA's. This may be the reason.

Reactions: UNCjigga

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
NYAG only has jurisdiction to prosecute specific crimes, where it is granted by a specific statute. Most types of crimes can only be prosecuted by local DA's. This may be the reason.
An NYT article I read said she didn't have the authority to charge Trump but it didn't go into details.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
An NYT article I read said she didn't have the authority to charge Trump but it didn't go into details.

Yes, I'm sure that's what it is. I don't know the specific statutes, but there had to be a reason that NYC's DA has been handling the criminal end of this, while NYAG has handled the civil aspects.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Exactly. Some may argue that he is not a racist, but it is undeniable that he is #1 with actual racists. Functionally, does that make it any different if he were or were not a racist at that point?
I mean he was literally sued by the DOJ for refusing to rent apartments to black people. Exactly what does it take?

Reactions: Meghan54

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Exactly. Some may argue that he is not a racist, but it is undeniable that he is #1 with actual racists. Functionally, does that make it any different if he were or were not a racist at that point?
The main point is, no matter skin colour or gender, if they can be of use to him, he will try to take advantage of it.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Definition for indictment is an accusation so they are practically synonymous

Feb 4, 2009
The property valuations is what’s going to get him in trouble. Not jail trouble but bank & business trouble as in there will be some sort of fine, some sort of accelerated payment on debt and likely a tax fine plus possibly not being able or any of his Children being able to run/certify anything regarding his New York Businesses. He will hate this and finding someone that obviously will be audited that can run the Business without Fat Boy running all over him will result in rapid resignations or finding someone to do it but being forced to over pay that person.
We all have a tendency to think the stuff we own is worth more than it is (just look at for sale/for trade deals here) but valuing stuff at 30 times what the market says is really tough to say he just made a little mistake that we all do. Think about this imagine thinking your $400k-ish house is worth $12 million. That’s far outside of what any competent person would do.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The main point is, no matter skin colour or gender, if they can be of use to him, he will try to take advantage of it.
I'm sure he's not a real racist. It's just that white people are so much more useful. I mean, why bother with people who are so worthless they get stereotyped as inferior when there's enough light to see the color of their skin, right? It's not racism, it's just not a good business strategy for a company to be at the vanguard of redressing historical racial discrimination. Best to lag behind by a few centuries until it's totally safe. Really, it's not racism. It's dollars and sense.