Intels in trouble..

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
What, exactly, does "restore balance" mean? 50/50 (+/- 5%) marketshare split between AMD and Intel? Good luck with that... AMD doesn't have the capacity to supply that much of the market, and is dependent on companies with fabs.

Im sure they can find volume if they had enough share to make good money.

Id be happy with AMD came out with a top end 8 core gaming CPU that beat intels offering at 50% of the price.

Then i could shift that saved money to other areas of my gaming rig such as GPU or SSD's rather that lining the pockets of intel executives

FridayThe13th

Feb 21, 2013

Id be happy with AMD came out with a top end 8 core gaming CPU that beat intels offering at 50% of the price.

Then i could shift that saved money to other areas of my gaming rig such as GPU or SSD's rather that lining the pockets of intel executives
and then intel comes out with a 12 core that smashes the amd 8core again for years?

You aren't being smart, its tit for tat, you seem to think intel is afk and doesnt have plans in the production.

Again, please google "critical thinking" then search "how to critically think"

OP forgets the fact that Intel has $billions to throw at R&D.

Where are AMD's 3D Transistors?
When questions like this arise.
The OP will quickly post something about Qualcomm

JM Popaleetus

Oct 1, 2010
heatware.com
Benchmarks proving this statement?

EDIT: Actually, I can't tell through his poor grammar. Is he saying this chip exists, or that he would be happy if they came out with one?

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Today the smartphone and tablet market is a concern for intel and i believe the next 2-7 years will get worse for intel in x86 also. For the reasons i already posted.

The only reasons you've given relate to ARM-based competition. What does that have to do with AMD?

What about Intel's process advantage? You don't think that's significant?

But last time i checked ARM is also making moves into servers and the low power and cost of ARM chips might be the perfect answer to the server space?

If so, I welcome it. Competition is great. But I don't see any real signs of life there.

Intel is getting chunks bitten from all sides lately and it has let people make serious roads into Gaming and Mobile markets.

Intel can make less money than it is making now and still do just fine. Certainly better than a company that's treading water.

As soon as someone comes out with a gaming CPU that matches intels offering for less $$ then how will intel maintain its stranglehold on the desktop market?

Yes, and if the queen had balls, she'd be the king.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003

Maybe, but when they're losing money... as they are... you can't just magically find enough money to magically expand your ability to supply the market. Remember, AMD doesn't fab their own chips anymore.

It's time for you to wake up from your dream.

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
and then intel comes out with a 12 core that smashes the amd 8core again for years?

You aren't being smart, its tit for tat, you seem to think intel is afk and doesnt have plans in the production.

Again, please google "critical thinking" then search "how to critically think"

When questions like this arise.
The OP will quickly post something about Qualcomm

Qualcomm is relevant because they compete against intel in the mobile CPU space. You think intel is safe because it has big market cap vs AMD who doesnt?

You forget that Qualcomm and Samsung have the money and technology to beat intel in the Smartphone and Tablet space.

Intels core markets are declining and they have no solutions in the new markets. Even if they did they would have to wave goodbye to its huge margins which the company is based on.

You can twist my comments as much as you like but AMD has a real chance with gamers now its in the PS4 and Xbox. This could turn the tide for AMD and allow it to regain performance lost over the last few years.

Intels share price is down 30% in the last year alone. If the future was so rosey for intel then their share price wouldnt be so deflated.

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
The only reasons you've given relate to ARM-based competition. What does that have to do with AMD?

What about Intel's process advantage? You don't think that's significant?

If so, I welcome it. Competition is great. But I don't see any real signs of life there.

Intel can make less money than it is making now and still do just fine. Certainly better than a company that's treading water.

Yes, and if the queen had balls, she'd be the king.

My main point about AMD was around the new 8 core AMD based consoles with AMD CPU and GPU configurations.

Game developers will soon have games which run better on AMD tech than intels. I did read somewhere that Windows favours intels architecture and this hurts AMD performance. Well maybe things will change soon?

At least this will give the market a better option in the long term. I think the people who spell death for AMD need to think about just how bad life on the PC could get without AMD in the market

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Game developers will soon have games which run better on AMD tech than intels. I did read somewhere that Windows favours intels architecture and this hurts AMD performance. Well maybe things will change soon?

Utter bollocks like everything else in your trollthread.

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
Utter bollocks like everything else in your trollthread.

Why would Windows not be coded for the leading CPU architecture?

Games can show a huge bias if they are coded for one company or another so why wouldnt this happen anywhere else?

im not saying this is Fact its just something i read about

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
My main point about AMD was around the new 8 core AMD based consoles with AMD CPU and GPU configurations.

They're not really 8-core, as everyone here knows.

Game developers will soon have games which run better on AMD tech than intels.

What is that based on?

At least this will give the market a better option in the long term. I think the people who spell death for AMD need to think about just how bad life on the PC could get without AMD in the market

I've already said that I want AMD to do well. But wanting something doesn't make it happen.

Galatian

Dec 7, 2012

Yes but it has been asked before: is the low power Jaguar architecture really comparable to Piledriver? I guess not, so games optimized for the PS4 doesn't really mean they are optimized for AMDs current desktop/laptop processors.

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
They're not really 8-core, as everyone here knows.

What is that based on?

I've already said that I want AMD to do well. But wanting something doesn't make it happen.

PS4 has 2 Quad core CPU's inside for 8 cores and 256bit link to 8GB of DDR5. Plus a 7970M GPU.

All games are going to be made for console to these architectures for the next 7 years. My point was that this is going to help AMD in PC performance in games even more so when AMD works with a game dev on the PC today.

If you look at intel CPU's today they kill AMD in Skyrim and Starcraft where single threaded performance wins out. Games are no longer going to be single threaded. They will have 8.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Why would Windows not be coded for the leading CPU architecture?

Games can show a huge bias if they are coded for one company or another so why wouldnt this happen anywhere else?

im not saying this is Fact its just something i read about

So you dont know, yet still make a claim.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
PS4 has 2 Quad core CPU's inside for 8 cores and 256bit link to 8GB of DDR5. Plus a 7970M GPU.

Why do you keep talking about the PS4?

Consoles and PCs are different markets. There is some overlap and cannibalization, sure, but not a great deal.

You severely overestimate the size of the gaming market segment, and the degree to which people used to serious gaming on serious machines will want to dump them for the latest Sony toy.

You really think Intel is scared of a console with a bunch of Jaguar cores in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.