Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 567 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
They better beat it for the price intel is asking ;). If the top of the line SKU barely beats 1950x it would be fun to see reviewers find a reason to justify 2x the price tag.

Price difference or no price difference, Intel will have gone from absolutely clobbering AMD's top offering - Piledriver - to losing to AMD's top offering, after having several years to distance themselves from AMD performance-wise. Skylake-X was always supposed to be faster than anything AMD could sell in 2017, in everything.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Final Intel Core™ i3-8350K and Core™ i3-8100 Specifications

o0eg97Q.png

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
So the i5s will probably be 4/8. Disappointing.
There have been plenty of leaks already posted in this thread.
i7: 6 core / 12 thread
i5: 6 core / 6 thread
i3: 4 core / 4 thread
Pentium: no rumors that I can recall, I wonder if there will even be a new Pentium this year. Probably 4 core / 4 thread.

Other rumors had i3 chips at 4 core / 8 threads. Unsure which is correct, but the list above goes with the supposed "final" specs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sweepr

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
This is all thanks to AMD by the way. People may or may not like their CPU's but Intel are moving ahead quickly now because of Ryzen and Threadripper. Competition is key in all things and that is why I never understand fanboys. They just hurt themselves in the long run.

Not really. It takes years to bring a CPU to market, work on Coffee Lake would have started before even the first leaks of Ryzen 8 core CPUs.

Coffee Lake was coming, with or without Ryzen.

Competition really affects Marketing, not product delivery.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
This is all thanks to AMD by the way. People may or may not like their CPU's but Intel are moving ahead quickly now because of Ryzen and Threadripper. Competition is key in all things and that is why I never understand fanboys. They just hurt themselves in the long run.

No, CannonLake was coming in 2016 and it should have been an 8-core max. CFL-S started after its cancellation and we knew about it for at least a year before Ryzen.

Reactions: pcp7

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005
Not really. It takes years to bring a CPU to market, work on Coffee Lake would have started before even the first leaks of Ryzen 8 core CPUs.

Coffee Lake was coming, with or without Ryzen.

Competition really affects Marketing, not product delivery.
Coffee lake may have been coming but the i9 12C and up most definitely wasn't (atleast not for a while longer).
If it wasn't for Ryzen and TR, the 7900x would likely have been selling for $1699 right now.

Reactions: MangoX

vinhom

Oct 14, 2016
There have been plenty of leaks already posted in this thread.
i7: 6 core / 12 thread
i5: 6 core / 6 thread
i3: 4 core / 4 thread
Pentium: no rumors that I can recall, I wonder if there will even be a new Pentium this year. Probably 4 core / 4 thread.

Why would Intel disable HT on every single one of their 8th gen 4+2 dies, it doens't make sense to me. Will they sell two different types of i5, 4/8 and 6/6? That would also be confusing. I was sure they would have gone for Celeron 2/4, Pentium 4/4, i3 4/8, i5 6/6 and i7 6/12. Simple progression.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Coffee lake may have been coming but the i9 12C and up most definitely wasn't (atleast not for a while longer).
If it wasn't for Ryzen and TR, the 7900x would likely have been selling for $1699 right now.

Yes, they pulled a whole new cpu line out of thin air in what? 6 months? that has to be a record. Yes, keep beliving that if it makes you feel better.

Reactions: pcp7

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Here we go. Hopefully launch in the coming weeks. :cool:

So the rumored I3-8300 4/8 was fake? i was totally expecting a I3K to be 4/4, no way they will allow OC to a 4/8 i3. Same to the 8100. a $100 4/8 whould have been insane. But the 8300 seems right to me.

Reactions: CHADBOGA

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
They didn't pull it out of "thin air", they had to re-purpose higher end (18C) server dice in order to compete with TR. You cannot be that blind, can you?

Thats tells you they did not needed to fight TR in cores number as they had the smaller Xeons to do so. Actually SKL-X whould been a LOT better if it was 10C max, ring bus and no port 5 AVX (power).

And even as that is not easy to validate a new cpu line and move production schedules to fit them in. That rumor died when the launch date was revealed to be September, about the original SKL-X launch date. People like you are forcely trying to keep it as true because everything in the world has to be thanks to AMD.

Reactions: Sweepr

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
Jan 7th i recieved my 7700K. 7 months later, a new generation is unveiling because competition cropped up. should i feel slapped-in-the-face?
a year i would've been fine with, but 7 months? really? and what if the new CPUs only support the 300-series chipset? is my Z270 garbage now?
mixed feelings about this...

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
All HEDT from both cos are repurposed server products, including TR.
Of course, nobody denies that, but without TR max you would likely had gotten on HEDT from intel would had been 12C or 14C max. In a new competitive environment you get 6 or 4 more cores for the same price, only a delusional person could think that these prices and these SKUs would exist without Ryzen and TR. Proof is also in the pricing of previous BDW-E 10C parts vs 8C parts VS pricing of whole SKL-X range.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
4 cores with Hyper-threading is noticeably missing from the LGA lineup. Curiously, benchmark software read that i5-8250U and i7-8550U have 4 cores, 8 threads. Kind of odd that i5-8250U is read to have 8 threads, but I think i7-8550U would feature 8 threads, as a new way to segment the U processors.

Last edited:

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Why would Intel disable HT on every single one of their 8th gen 4+2 dies, it doens't make sense to me. Will they sell two different types of i5, 4/8 and 6/6? That would also be confusing. I was sure they would have gone for Celeron 2/4, Pentium 4/4, i3 4/8, i5 6/6 and i7 6/12. Simple progression.
I was thinking that 4/8 would happen too. But, not so according to that latest rumor.

Hyperthreading is good for a quick speed boost for a short task. Thus it appears good in most benchmarks that don't go on for long periods of time (the reviewers need to get the chip review done often in hours/days max). But do any serious work and hyperthreading creates a lot of heat, which causes the chip to downthrottle back to base clock speeds, which causes the chip to perform worse in many serious tasks. Not that you'd use an i3 in a serious task, but the problem still exists.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Jan 7th i recieved my 7700K. 7 months later, a new generation is unveiling because competition cropped up. should i feel slapped-in-the-face?
a year i would've been fine with, but 7 months? really? and what if the new CPUs only support the 300-series chipset? is my Z270 garbage now?
mixed feelings about this...

No, it's not a slap in the face. It's progress.

Wyrm

Jun 20, 2017

IMHO, a lot of it has to do with Samsung. AMD has always had great chip designers. However, try to design anything competitive when your process tech sucks. Then GF got Samsung's process and their new shiny finfet transistors on 14nm and voila. Lisa Su better not screw it up. She can't blame process or design teams. AMD will sink and swim purely on the ability of her management team to execute.

Reactions: KompuKare