Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 568 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

deathBOB

Dec 2, 2007
This is all thanks to AMD by the way. People may or may not like their CPU's but Intel are moving ahead quickly now because of Ryzen and Threadripper. Competition is key in all things and that is why I never understand fanboys. They just hurt themselves in the long run.

You'll see the effect (or not) when we Intel releases product margin information. As others have stated, there's no way AMD has affected the actual chips, but I imagine it has pushed Intel to reduce prices.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005
Yes, they pulled a whole new cpu line out of thin air in what? 6 months? that has to be a record. Yes, keep beliving that if it makes you feel better.

Those CPUs existed but would never have made it to the HEDT segment if not for TR. Even the board partners were not in the loop regarding that announcement. So keep telling yourself they would have released those CPUs at those prices without any competition.

Mar 10, 2006
IMHO, a lot of it has to do with Samsung. AMD has always had great chip designers. However, try to design anything competitive when your process tech sucks. Then GF got Samsung's process and their new shiny finfet transistors on 14nm and voila. Lisa Su better not screw it up. She can't blame process or design teams. AMD will sink and swim purely on the ability of her management team to execute.

Bulldozer & lineage didn't suck because of the process they were built on, they sucked because they were crappy chip architectures.

Reactions: scannall

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Those CPUs existed but would never have made it to the HEDT segment if not for TR. Even the board partners were not in the loop regarding that announcement. So keep telling yourself they would have released those CPUs at those prices without any competition.

Says who? SKL-X 6 to 10C are also Xeons, thats why they use mesh and are bad at games. TR are also Epycs btw.

Original SKL-X launch date was always August-September, they did hurry up SKL-X and CFL-S because of Ryzen, but 12C to 18C are now coming out around the original date. Now in the hell they took Xeons back in March, validated them as SKL-X SKU, adding 80% the number of cores the LGA2066 socket was originally designed for according to you and launched them in the date SKL-X was supposed to be launched to begin with?

If they had the Xeons they did not even need to do so in the first place, as workstations whould use Xeons like they did before.

Sorry, but that is your imagination.

Ill remind you why that rumor started:

1) Someone said 12C to 18C SKU were not launching until 2018. ->Fake.
2) Someone said 6C to 10C were LCC HEDT chips and 12C to 18C MCC/HCC Xeons -> Fake they all are Mesh server chips.

But people is insisting in this.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
4 cores with Hyper-threading is noticeably missing from the LGA lineup. Curiously, benchmark software read that i5-8250U and i7-8550U have 4 cores, 8 threads. Kind of odd that i5-8250U is read to have 8 threads, but I think i7-8550U would feature 8 threads, as a new way to segment the U processors.

They'll show up with the Q1 2018 releases I'm sure.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
You were able to come to that conclusion after seeing a few leaked geekbench benchmarks? Not to mention that TR system is running 16gb vs 32gb so it's likely dual channel vs quad. Amazes me how people come to conclusions so quickly.

This post doesn't make sense. Excellent engineering stands on it's own. To put 18 Skylake cores on a single die is certainly excellent engineering. Bringing TR into the conversation is just being defensive.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
This is all thanks to AMD by the way. People may or may not like their CPU's but Intel are moving ahead quickly now because of Ryzen and Threadripper. Competition is key in all things and that is why I never understand fanboys. They just hurt themselves in the long run.

Yeah, because Intel designed new silicon in a few months.o_O

Edrick

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2010
If they had the Xeons they did not even need to do so in the first place, as workstations whould use Xeons like they did before.

That is not true with the new Xeon-SP lineup (socket). Xeon compatibility with consumer chipsets was removed with Skylake.

2) Someone said 6C to 10C were LCC HEDT chips and 12C to 18C MCC/HCC Xeons -> Fake they all are Mesh server chips.

6-10C is the LCC die and 12-18C is the HCC die. Not sure how you can even argue that.

Edrick

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2010
Thats tells you they did not needed to fight TR in cores number as they had the smaller Xeons to do so. Actually SKL-X whould been a LOT better if it was 10C max, ring bus and no port 5 AVX (power).

And even as that is not easy to validate a new cpu line and move production schedules to fit them in. That rumor died when the launch date was revealed to be September, about the original SKL-X launch date. People like you are forcely trying to keep it as true because everything in the world has to be thanks to AMD.

1. NO, SKL-X would not have been a lot better if it was 10C max and no AVX-512 and no MESH. Only for games that "may" have been true on a small percentage. The world does not revolve around games.

2. Intel's quick launches, lower prices, and expanded lineup are absolutely due to AMD and "competition". You do not understand business 101 if you think otherwise.

Mar 10, 2006
1. NO, SKL-X would not have been a lot better if it was 10C max and no AVX-512 and no MESH. Only for games that "may" have been true on a small percentage. The world does not revolve around games.

2. Intel's quick launches, lower prices, and expanded lineup are absolutely due to AMD and "competition". You do not understand business 101 if you think otherwise.

Competition affects the SKUs that come to market and the prices that they're offered at. The lead times in the semi industry for product development are too long for the launch of a product to impact fundamental core arch decisions or even the SoC design decisions.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
That is not true with the new Xeon-SP lineup (socket). Xeon compatibility with consumer chipsets was removed with Skylake.

6-10C is the LCC die and 12-18C is the HCC die. Not sure how you can even argue that.
Well you are off there are three distinct dies 20-28c would be HCC and the 12-18 is MCC.

But yeah I guess he was thinking that Intel's mesh compared to AMD's IF. It is like it internally like the the CCX IF connection. It's a poor substitute for the inter CCX connection. The Scalable part of SP is about opening the mesh bus to the outside, both for third party or CPU to CPU. But yes the CPU's are two distinct dies and not a bunch 1c or 2c CPU's "glued" together.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
The kind of people who would give you "hate" for buying a product with your own money are probably people you want on your ignore list.

I have to admit I have been reluctant to even post I bought one. Every where I look people are coming down on these chips. God forbid I didn't buy a Ryzen 1700X. Anyways I have avoided threads on this but you are right. It is my money and so far I am very happy with the chip. Easiest overclocking i have done in a good long time too.

Reactions: Sweepr
Mar 10, 2006
I have to admit I have been reluctant to even post I bought one. Every where I look people are coming down on these chips. God forbid I didn't buy a Ryzen 1700X. Anyways I have avoided threads on this but you are right. It is my money and so far I am very happy with the chip. Easiest overclocking i have done in a good long time too.

I have one too. It's a nice chip, have had a lot of fun tinkering with it. For the $ it's a really nice value.

Glad you're enjoying your chip.

Reactions: WhiteNoise

Edrick

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2010
Well you are off there are three distinct dies 20-28c would be HCC and the 12-18 is MCC.

Everything I have read regarding Xeon-SP has been LCC (4-10C), HCC (12-18C), and XCC (20C+). But the point my response was to show that all the SKY-X cpus are all derivatives of the Xeon dies.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Says who? SKL-X 6 to 10C are also Xeons, thats why they use mesh and are bad at games. TR are also Epycs btw.

Original SKL-X launch date was always August-September, they did hurry up SKL-X and CFL-S because of Ryzen, but 12C to 18C are now coming out around the original date. Now in the hell they took Xeons back in March, validated them as SKL-X SKU, adding 80% the number of cores the LGA2066 socket was originally designed for according to you and launched them in the date SKL-X was supposed to be launched to begin with?

Sorry, but that is your imagination.

Ill remind you why that rumor started:

1) Someone said 12C to 18C SKU were not launching until 2018. ->Fake.

But people is insisting in this.

Intel-Basin-Falls-Kaby-Lake-X-and-Skylake-X-Processors.jpg

This is the original slide (i suppose from Intel) for X299 platform, from last year. Notice the 6C up to 10C. Its obvious 12C-18C were not originally planned to be released as consumer products.

Surely you dont believe that the way things unfold now are exactly what Intel intended and planned all along and totally in match with the content of that slide.

Edrick

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2010

I am loving my 7820X. It performs many tasks (non gaming) equal to or better than a (7700k).

All the hate comes form AMD fans and people who do not own one.

Osjur

Sep 21, 2013
Its pretty obvious to everyone with at least couple of brain cells that TR forced Intel to bring HCC dies to HEDT platform. They have NEVER done that before. Heck sometimes they haven't even enabled the whole LCC die on HEDT platform like SB-E, which had 8 cores but even the 3970X refresh only had 6 core enabled.

And all the leaks + slides were saying up to 10 cores before TR rumours started emerging.

Reactions: USER8000 and Edrick

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Everything I have read regarding Xeon-SP has been LCC (4-10C), HCC (12-18C), and XCC (20C+). But the point my response was to show that all the SKY-X cpus are all derivatives of the Xeon dies.
Well I guess it could go either way officially. But I guess my rule of thumb is 3 sizes means small/medium/large no matter what stupid names you come up with. Not saying I choose medium, but I have seen a few sites refer to it though and it fits better to me than anything else.

Reactions: Edrick