Intel Shows Off 28 Core, 56 Thread Core-X HEDT Processor For Enthusiasts, In Market Q4 ’18

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
I read that already. Anadtech is pretty gullible.
New article on Anandtech. Some quotes:
We were told that on stage the presenter was actually meant to clarify that the system was overclocked, however the specific wording was not stated as it had been prepared.
In our pre-briefing it was stated that this was a technical showcase (the bit where it was stated that this was coming to market was a bit of a shock if we’re honest), however this was not communicated as well as it should have been on stage.
At the time of the presentation, Intel stated that they had partnered with both ASUS and GIGABYTE to create systems around the new 28-core product, however they didn’t state which system the 5 GHz demo was run on. We heard from both of the motherboard companies that it was actually the GIGABYTE system that hit 5 GHz, however it was noted that Intel did not explicitly call out the partner that hit the milestone. GIGABYTE confirmed that they certainly hit 5 GHz; we have yet to speak to ASUS on the matter.
One of our points to Intel was that the story around the 28-core announcement was not ideally communicated. (ed: this is an understatement) The systems holding the machines were not very well described in what they were doing, leading to massive amounts of speculation. The insides of the systems were dimly lit, and the cooling apparatus was hidden. Intel could have made the story around the parts be about the technology behind the demonstration, and the ability to push the limits of the hardware to new heights, however, even if the word ‘overclocked’ was accidentally not said on stage, these part of the story was not explained. Not in the ‘it wasn’t explained well’, it just wasn’t explained period.

Reactions: lightmanek and IEC

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
See that's the silly thing, it should be obvious that 5 Ghz all cores would be overclocking. Didn't think it was really an issue especially since the screenshots of Cinebench showed included a result at what is stock I imagine.

Reactions: Zucker2k

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
See that's the silly thing, it should be obvious that 5 Ghz all cores would be overclocking.
You're a member of the press at a major Apple event. The Apple rep comes on stage and shows a preview of a future Mac Pro running at 6Ghz in different rendering tasks.

You have to put an article online. What do you report?

EDITED: meant workstation, not laptop

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
You're a member of the press at a major Apple event. The Apple rep comes on stage and shows a preview of a future Mac Pro running at 6Ghz in different rendering tasks.

You have to put an article online. What do you report?

EDITED: meant workstation, not laptop
How about "A Technical Showcase."? Certainly not a "preview." The answer is right there in your post.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
See that's the silly thing, it should be obvious that 5 Ghz all cores would be overclocking. Didn't think it was really an issue especially since the screenshots of Cinebench showed included a result at what is stock I imagine.

Bottom line is it was unclear to many people. The press run with the info given to them by the manufacturer.
Intel is responsible for what reaches the press

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
How about "A Technical Showcase."? Certainly not a "preview." The answer is right there in your post.
How about "I wanted to give you a preview of something we've been working inside at Intel. So, without further ado, I would like to present to you a new 28 core processor!"

Watch the presentation, follow exactly what was said on stage.

Also, right there in my post was this as well: the bit where it was stated that this was coming to market was a bit of a shock if we’re honest.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
"AORUS LGA 3647 Socketed Motherboard With Hexa Channel Support Was Running Intel’s Cascade Lake-X 28 Core CPU"

https://wccftech.com/intel-28-core-cpu-lga-3647-socket-6-channel-memory-aorus-motherboard/

Was this mentioned yet?
Headline mentions Cascade Lake-X, no mention of it in the actual article. Please stop with these junk articles from WCCF. It is very unlikely to be Cascade Lake-X, since this has been seen on the Gigabyte motherboard:
https://youtu.be/w5ZXlQefic0?t=1m54s

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
I found this paragraph in the Anandtech article most revealing. Almost a grasping at straws for the faithful,the possibility of 10nm as the saviour tech.

"The only item that Intel would confirm here is that the 28-core processor is built on one of its 14nm nodes. For anyone thinking it was a 10nm node, this confirms that it was not, however it does not say much more; Intel is purposefully keeping its cards close to its chest on this one. The smart money seems to be that the chip is likely to at least be based on the Skylake-X processors, like the 28-core Xeon Platinum 8176 or Xeon Platinum 8180, rather than the future Cascade Lake platform, however Intel has also promised that the consumer version of Cascade Lake-X will be coming by the end of the year."

It seems that there are still quite a bit of hopeful fans. Stunts like this only work to destroy quickly any residual adoration.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Bottom line is it was unclear to many people. The press run with the info given to them by the manufacturer.
Intel is responsible for what reaches the press
It is the duty of the press to ensure that their reporting is accurate, and as I said, the press would have strongly questioned a similar demo from AMD.

Also, advertising is pretty much always a bit unclear and requires careful examination to see what the advertising claims actually mean.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
as I said, the press would have strongly questioned a similar demo from AMD.
Remember this? Did the press immediately question this AMD rep on his claim that the Fury board was an overclocker's dream?

Or did they go with it and let both Joe Macri and AMD take the fallout?

deathBOB

Dec 2, 2007
Seems like a distinction without a difference. A 28 core 5ghz part is totally unviable when it requires that kind of power and cooling whether that is its rated speed or merely an overlock of a lesser part.

dacostafilipe

Oct 10, 2013
It is the duty of the press to ensure that their reporting is accurate

But it's not the duty of Intel to state the facts about their "product" presentations? Wow ...

When showing benchmarks, those companies normally add multiple pages to their slides where they explain system settings, game resolution, software configuration, but here, not even a single mention? I have no idea how somebody could defend this.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Seems like a distinction without a difference. A 28 core 5ghz part is totally unviable when it requires that kind of power and cooling whether that is its rated speed or merely an overlock of a lesser part.

The reporters didn't think it was using any exotic cooling, apparently. The cooling info had to be leaked to them. They apparently believed that Intel had suddenly made a huge leap in clock speeds and power consumption, such that they were soon releasing a 28 core chip with a 5ghz all core turbo that didn't need exotic cooling. A belief that was ridiculous, imo.

I do think the chip is a new chip, though.

Since it has the multiplier, the single core turbo is probably 5ghz. The base clock appears to be 2.7ghz. The all core turbo is the $64 question. I have guessed that it's 4 ghz, to some gales of laughter. :)

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
But it's not the duty of Intel to state the facts about their "product" presentations? Wow ...

When showing benchmarks, those companies normally add multiple pages to their slides where they explain system settings, game resolution, software configuration, but here, not even a single mention? I have no idea how somebody could defend this.

Yet no reporter was suspicious?

I haven't watched the presentation. I know those things are just advertisements and they always put the product in the absolute best light. I prefer to wait a day or so for the inevitable clarifications to come out. AMD/Intel/Nvidia all do these sorts of presentations that require "interpretation".

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
That's not nearly the sudden leap in performance that running 28 cores at 5ghz on air is...
They apparently believed that Intel had suddenly made a huge leap in clock speeds and power consumption, such that they were soon releasing a 28 core chip with a 5ghz all core turbo that didn't need exotic cooling. A belief that was ridiculous, imo.
You really need to take a minute and view this from the perspective of a member of the press who walks into the showroom expecting to see a "technical demo" but is greeted by reps claiming they are doing a "preview of a new product due to launch soon", a product they showcase running at 5Ghz, with no other strings attached.

Forget what you read in the news, on the forum and on social media after the presentation. You don't get the benefit of hindsight. As a reporter you have the following options:
  • delay publishing anything until you have solid confirmation, as if the Intel reps cannot be trusted
  • challenge the presentation heads on, exposing your brand to unnecessary risk, possibly creating friction with Intel PR
  • relay the information as is, and let Intel deal with their own claims while also seeking more info from them
I haven't watched the presentation.
Tell me you watched the presentation before filling these boards with claims about the press being gullible...

I know those things are just advertisements and they always put the product in the absolute best light. I prefer to wait a day or so for the inevitable clarifications to come out. AMD/Intel/Nvidia all do these sorts of presentations that require "interpretation".
Then why are you judging the press for their initial reaction, considering they swiftly looked for confirmation and published their findings?

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Heck, I'm starting to think the presentation recording was altered, and it was actually the press on stage overclocking the new 28 core chip while the two Intel reps were taking notes in the audience.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Cheap and Xeon don't go in the same sentence UNLESS you have an older one. In 2011 my X5690 chips cost $1590 each. Today they can be had for around $200 or so on the used market.

The issue with used Xeons aren't usually getting the CPUs themselves, but a compatible board.

Unfortunately Intel has locked down the newer Xeons to only run in boards with Xeon specific chipsets. Which is a bit of a downer for the used market.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Heck, I'm starting to think the presentation recording was altered, and it was actually the press on stage overclocking the new 28 core chip while the two Intel reps were taking notes in the audience.
:D

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
You really need to take a minute and view this from the perspective of a member of the press who walks into the showroom expecting to see a "technical demo" but is greeted by reps claiming they are doing a "preview of a new product due to launch soon", a product they showcase running at 5Ghz, with no other strings attached.

Forget what you read in the news, on the forum and on social media after the presentation. You don't get the benefit of hindsight. As a reporter you have the following options:
  • delay publishing anything until you have solid confirmation, as if the Intel reps cannot be trusted
  • challenge the presentation heads on, exposing your brand to unnecessary risk, possibly creating friction with Intel PR
  • relay the information as is, and let Intel deal with their own claims while also seeking more info from them

Tell me you watched the presentation before filling these boards with claims about the press being gullible...

Then why are you judging the press for their initial reaction, considering they swiftly looked for confirmation and published their findings?
Because posters pointed me to articles that had little sign of skepticism, and posters here immediately were skeptical.
Are reporters not allowed to speak at these presentations?
Can they ask, "Hey, how is that being cooled?".

Reactions: Zucker2k

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Headline mentions Cascade Lake-X, no mention of it in the actual article. Please stop with these junk articles from WCCF. It is very unlikely to be Cascade Lake-X, since this has been seen on the Gigabyte motherboard:
https://youtu.be/w5ZXlQefic0?t=1m54s

Just in case people didn't see it:

attachment.php

Now, maybe it's a holdover from a previous designed board, but that's seems highly unlikely considering these are early working samples of the board made just for early testing/demonstration. These aren't the production ready versions of the board. Now, why would a brand new board made specifically for this new cpu be labeled as SKL-SP1S if the new cpu it was designed for was in fact CSX? Possible? Yes, but very, very unlikely.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Because posters pointed me to articles that had little sign of skepticism, and posters here immediately were skeptical.
Are reporters not allowed to speak at these presentations?
Can they ask, "Hey, how is that being cooled?".

I don't believe they had a Q&A session, so no, they couldn't.