Intel says flaw in Series 6 Sandy Bridge chipsets

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Can I sue Intel for emotional distress and anxiety for killing my Sandy Bridge dreams? Maybe a class action? :sneaky:

This is Amurikuh....you can sue until you heart is content...or you run out of money to feed the attorney with....whichever comes first! :biggrin:

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I wouldn't come to that conclusion. Doesn't make sense to sell any socket 1155 CPUs if there are no motherboards one can buy without having to worry about the defect.
So it's entirely consistent that the affected cpus&motherboards are pulled. The fact that the h67 motherboards are pulled implies that the problem does in fact include the h67 chips.

Anand's post explicitly includes h67 as well.

Plus, based on the language of that engadget post the smart money is that it was a misunderstanding coupled with wishful thinking. It looks like the rep just forgot to mention H67, I didn't see any quote with them specifically saying H67 wasn't affected...only a quote saying P67 was. The rep might not even know what they were talking about either, it wasn't a chat log with Intel's head engineer.

I was going to buy a H67 myself, but I'd assume it was broken as well until there is a concrete statement it isn't....aren't they basically the same chipset after all? I mean heck, now we have rumors flying around that the cpus are broken too. Best to sit on your hands for a few days regardless.

mhouck

Dec 31, 2007
Plus, based on the language of that engadget post the smart money is that it was a misunderstanding coupled with wishful thinking. It looks like the rep just forgot to mention H67, I didn't see any quote with them specifically saying H67 wasn't affected...only a quote saying P67 was. The rep might not even know what they were talking about either, it wasn't a chat log with Intel's head engineer.

I was going to buy a H67 myself, but I'd assume it was broken as well until there is a concrete statement it isn't....aren't they basically the same chipset after all? I mean heck, now we have rumors flying around that the cpus are broken too. Best to sit on your hands for a few days regardless.

i must have missed something. Where did the rumors that the cpu's are broken come from?

eddietandy

Jan 6, 2011
The board bricked itself after two weeks of OS development work (lots of reboots).

I recommend doing that kind of thing in VMware. That's what I have with VS 2010 Ult. on Win Server 2008 R2. Works marvelously. Of course I'm always leery about loading up my working OS with all those dev libraries and SDKs and such.

Hooptymobile

Aug 28, 2010
Is this why EVGA waited to release its P67 SLI for so long? It's a conspiracy, hehe! @_@

man, i so want to go to tiger direct outlet store tonight and buy asus maximus iv for 299.00 >< i bet they yanked it from shelves , but might not have if its on display. Heck I'm still going to browse at least. b.b.i.a.w. guys... I'll give you update on results or if i buy a board (depending on availability) :)

Last edited:

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
i just checked newegg again, all the boards are gone now. search reveals 0 results, 2600k is deactivated too

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Heh, I was planning on getting a Z68 to replace my P67 if the video-sharing software ending up panning out (and not being too harmful to framerates).

bad144

Oct 2, 2010
I recommend doing that kind of thing in VMware. That's what I have with VS 2010 Ult. on Win Server 2008 R2. Works marvelously. Of course I'm always leery about loading up my working OS with all those dev libraries and SDKs and such.
Was driver work that wouldn't be applicable under vmware. But thanks for asking :)

bad144

Oct 2, 2010
i must have missed something. Where did the rumors that the cpu's are broken come from?
I've missed that too. Probably another misunderstanding. Pulling sales of new 1155 based CPUs due to lack of 1155 motherboards to use them with != actual problem with the CPUs.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
On the flip side of the coin, this could be good news for those people on the sidelines, since intel won't be able to sell the new CPUs, stockpiles go up, and then, we have a nice big sale when this matter is all fixed.

Hello $150 i5-2500K! :awe:

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Yeah, I read a press release in another thread and it was vaguely talking about chips and I saw some people talking about how it was the cpu probably because they didn't understand it was the chipset. I think that is just a misunderstanding as well but Intel's vague, probably ass covering, press releases can stir everyone up. Let me just be clear though: I saw that entirely as a rumor from people that were confused by the press release language and didn't see anything that would make me think there was actually anything wrong with the cpus.

Melor

Dec 28, 2009
www.melor.com
I am very upset. I have been waiting to put together a new PC for a long while. All the talk of how great the new 2600 chip is made me finally break my piggy bank and buy a new system. Did the deed on Saturday. Pretty high end system, now with a funky motherboard. My old Q6600 chip was chugging along fine, I thought I would treat myself. Instead I treated myself to a headache.

Paul

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
On the flip side of the coin, this could be good news for those people on the sidelines, since intel won't be able to sell the new CPUs, stockpiles go up, and then, we have a nice big sale when this matter is all fixed.

Hello $150 i5-2500K! :awe:

Ehhh....maybe, but any saving on the cpu will probably be offset by the gouging that will occur on the motherboard side as a consequence of shortages of the new boards. Plus you'll have the headache of trying to make sure you aren't accidentally buying some old turd stock that some one had hanging around.

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
I am very upset. I have been waiting to put together a new PC for a long while. All the talk of how great the new 2600 chip is made me finally break my piggy bank and buy a new system. Did the deed on Saturday. Pretty high end system, now with a funky motherboard. My old Q6600 chip was chugging along fine, I thought I would treat myself. Instead I treated myself to a headache.

Paul

As NEWB as I am at this, is it really going to be that big of a headache? I have gained a TON of confidence building this rig and feel like I know what I am doing now so what are we talking about? All the wiring is already in place, RAM, VIDEO card, SDD, HDD, Optical drive easy to replace...seems the biggest pain will be removing the HS and CPU, cleaning off the Thermal Paste and re-applying...

If you get the SAME motherboard (just with the new SATA ports) and load your HDs in, will it basically be plug and play (whatever is on your HDs now will still be there) or is that part of it like starting over?

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Its probably a bigger problem if you're overclocking...since no two sets of components behave exactly the same you should really do all your stress testing over again.

That and for some people windows activation BS, but that probably won't be much of a problem. Replacing a motherboard is pretty much the most pain the ass upgrade/repair you can do and no its not really *that* bad.

MrTransistorm

May 25, 2003
As NEWB as I am at this, is it really going to be that big of a headache?
I think most people would be annoyed by the RMA time. If the board is part of someone's main/only rig, a week or two of downtime is a major setback.

Fortunately for me, this new system is in addition to two other fully functional computers. I wasn't even planning to put it to any real work until it is successfully stress tested and running with a stable BIOS. An RMA won't kill me.

However, waiting two months for new a fixed board will. Superbiiz responded and told me not to open the package yet until they have more details on the recall. I await further instruction. :(

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
Again, being still a novice (maybe I graduated from newb?), are there any FREE tests I can run to see how my SDD and HDD are doing on the Intel 6G ports?

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
I think most people would be annoyed by the RMA time. If the board is part of someone's main/only rig, a week or two of downtime is a major setback.

Fortunately for me, this new system is in addition to two other fully functional computers. I wasn't even planning to put it to any real work until it is successfully stress tested and running with a stable BIOS. An RMA won't kill me.

However, waiting two months for new a fixed board will. Superbiiz responded and told me not to open the package yet until they have more details on the recall. I await further instruction. :(

I know in the past I had an issue with an Nvidia GPU and I gave them a credit card number and they sent me the new GPU before I sent the old one back, the understanding being if I didn't send back the defective one they would charge my card...

Don't see why ASUS or whoever could not do that as well...

Again, has anyone's SB/P67 shut down yet?

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Eh.... my setup is working fine for now. I have no doubt it will continue to work just fine until a fix is out. When that happens I'll just use one of my spare systems while the RMA goes through.

Annoying, yes. End of the world? No. Of course Asrock could decide to be jerks and not do easy RMA's, then I would be ticked :)

SuPrEIVIE

Platinum Member
Aug 21, 2003
this is extremely frustrating, as i already have spent a month without a pc, im going to call asus tomorrow and get confirmation that i will or not receive a replacement in due time. Before all of this anyway i initially have my boot drive on sata 6g anyway and i could only get win7 to install once on the p8p67 and get consistent bsod regardless, i tested the other parts and after this revelation im sure my inescapable problem is due to faulty sata sockets.

Intel claims only the s3g are at fault but who knows cause on intel's s6g im getting non stop bsod and i tested the HD on other systems without issue. Been wasting alot of time setting my SB up and this news sheds light on my problem. Pretty much all i have left to test is the HDs on the marvel connectors.