Intel says flaw in Series 6 Sandy Bridge chipsets

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
this is major news. I cant recall a recall like this before. Has anything like this happened before?

endlessmike133

Jan 2, 2011
this is major news. I cant recall a recall like this before. Has anything like this happened before?
yeah me either; this is a catastrophic failure on behalf of intel

every laptop (literally everyone) and tons of desktop makers already switched over to sandy bridges and were about to refresh their websites within this week; intel just came out of nowhere and HALTED the entire market.

lets not forget the entire system building market has been thrown for a huge whirlwind; everybody was subject to the awesome capabilities of sandy bridge, now those that didnt already bite have had sandy bridge SNATCHED away from them...no one knows what to do besides wait..

just plain catastrophic

keyed

Feb 21, 2001
yeah me either; this is a catastrophic failure on behalf of intel

every laptop (literally everyone) and tons of desktop makers already switched over to sandy bridges and were about to refresh their websites within this week; intel just came out of nowhere and HALTED the entire market.

lets not forget the entire system building market has been thrown for a huge whirlwind; everybody was subject to the awesome capabilities of sandy bridge, now those that didnt already bite have had sandy bridge SNATCHED away from them...no one knows what to do besides wait..

just plain catastrophic
But will this affect laptop launches? Most laptops only require two sata connections, one for the hard drive and the other for the dvd drive. The other sata connections shouldn't matter.

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
Hmmmm...

I just got off the phone with Asus and the rep said they have no confirmed issues with any of their boards concerning the Intel release?

Hogan773

Nov 2, 2010
They're probably still mulling it over.....they were just told this morning

They've gotta make sure Daddy Intel will agree to cover all their costs of a recall before they start telling you that a recall is coming.......

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

Yes, back in 2000 they recalled boards because of the MTH on motherboards that had both RAMBUS and DDR slots. Just like this time, I had just received and built a system around a recalled motherboard. That time I was able to mail the board back into the reseller and they refunded my money. I will have to wait and see what they will do this time. Newegg has gone in and eliminated the option from people's accounts that would allow them to RMA the board back to them.

This will be the last time I buy anything newly released from Intel. I will let others deal with the issues before I take the plunge.

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
Chinese new year starts Feb. 3. They're all going to be out for around 15 days too. We might not hear anything more until mid February.

LiuKangBakinPie

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Im not worried about this. I am worried about the killswitch thats open to PDos attacks that can render the cpu useless.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This is why you ALWAYS wait till the second stepping CPU's and chipsets are out before buying a all new platform. If you live by this rule your life will be ALOT easier, and its not like it takes more than 6 months after launch to get to the second stepping so its worth waiting. At least this is what i have learned from my years of buying PC's(first PC i owned was a 486)

mclaren777

Jan 3, 2011
Would there be any reason to re-install Windows if you're swapping out a motherboard for an identical model?

Seven

Jan 26, 2000
Hmmmm...

I just got off the phone with Asus and the rep said they have no confirmed issues with any of their boards concerning the Intel release?

This was expected. Reps are still sleeping, it's gonna take a while till they wake up.

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
Those Taiwanese companies (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, etc.) should use their upcoming two week holiday to get all this stuff sorted out. Hopefully when they get back, they'll have a streamlined exchange process ready to go.

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
Nope. Usually, you get a certain number of re-activations. After that certain number you call them (it gives you an 800 number) and tell them you had to reformat your hard drive again and they'll give you a new activation number.

Hooptymobile

Aug 28, 2010
Nope. Usually, you get a certain number of re-activations. After that certain number you call them (it gives you an 800 number) and tell them you had to reformat your hard drive again and they'll give you a new activation number.

omg are u serious?! u can only install so many times. I only buy oem version of windows (xp, vista, 7 etc.) and never seen it show a certain number of times I am allowed to re-install it (as well as on windows xp or vista.

Is this just for retail only? Or have I got something wrong here.

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
You can install an unlimited number of times as long as it's installed on only one computer AND you do have to call them to get a new activation key.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
omg are u serious?! u can only install so many times. I only buy oem version of windows (xp, vista, 7 etc.) and never seen it show a certain number of times I am allowed to re-install it (as well as on windows xp or vista.

Is this just for retail only? Or have I got something wrong here.

Its OEM only, as OEM copies are linked to the original motherboard and you are only allowed to install OEM onto one system. You can get away with moving your OEM copy to a new motherboard but will need to call MS and tell them your old one died and this is the replacement board and they will activate it for you.

The retail copies can be installed onto a differnt computer without contacting MS as MS allows this, thats why they cost more.

I dont think there is a activation limit as ive re installed OEM windows multiple times on the same computer and never had to call, only when moving to a differnt motherboard.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
Youll have to buy a new key from Microshit I think

absolutely false. in some cases, it will activate without issue, but there's a chance you'll have to call the 1800 number and explain that you have a replacement motherboard.

Hooptymobile

Aug 28, 2010
once, if, and when i get a new p67 mobo i will have to install the win 7 disk that I'm currently using on my 775 board. hope i dont have to jump hoops to get it onto other board.

I bought my version of Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit @ Fry's Electronics for 89.00 as an OEM System Builder Pack.

Last edited:

LiuKangBakinPie

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Intel_Atom_Bomb.png
File:Intel_Atom_Bomb.png
File:Intel_Atom_Bomb.png

Can anyone still remember the PENTIUM 9.9999973251?

Last edited:

rumpleforeskin

Nov 3, 2008
I was fortunate that my P67 mobo had not yet been shipped as the company was still awaiting stock of 2500k to ship along with it.

It seems the replacement p67 mobo will not be available untill aprill :( by which time the Z68 should be upon us

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
OCuK are still selling them in the UK,here is their statement,

Hi there

The potential problem as outlined by Intel® is as follows:-

In some cases, motherboards featuring the 6 Series Chipset (P67 & H67) that have Sata devices connected to ports 2-5 could potentially degrade over time.
Motherboards with devices connected to Ports 0 & 1 remain unaffected or using the 6G ports.
PLEASE NOTE THERE IS NO POTENTIAL ISSUE TO SANDYBRIDGE PROCESSORS, this communication refers only to Sandybridge motherboards using P67 & H67 chipset ONLY.

OcUK has been advised by Intel that there may be a potential issue regarding Sandy Bridge and the P67 Chipset.

There is considered to be no immediate threat, and Intel recommends customers not to panic, as this is, at this stage, considered to be a precautionary measure.

OcUK are in discussion with Intel as to the finer details of the issue, and at present there is no need for customers to return products, and this will continue to be the case until such time as Intel advise on any necessary course of action.

In light of these events, OcUK has left Sandybridge based products on sale and should any issues arise all customers will be covered, we shall be adding disclaimers to all P67 mainboards tomorrow stating this and that all customers will be covered.

All customers will be contacted once we have received a definitive Returns Procedure from Intel, should this be the case.

At present, there is no immediate threat / danger / risk of damage to CPUs, Motherboards or Systems, and we urge that customers continue to use their systems as normal.

Any required replacements will be handled efficiently, and any further updates will be announced via the website and forums.

At this time, we would request that customers do not contact us with regards to this issue, as we are of course fully aware, and will publish all information as we have it via our website and forums.

Please avoid contacting us regarding this particular issue as it just swallows up resources, where the information has already been made available via our website/forums, and we will continue to inform of any updates ongoing etc.

So right now its all a bit of an unknown, we shall know a lot more over the next couple of days and if a recall is actioned instructions shall be posted on the website and forum.

As we know more we shall pass it onto our customers.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18236710