Intel says flaw in Series 6 Sandy Bridge chipsets

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
It has nothing to do with failing hard drives, your hard drive performance will be slower over time......not fail.

Unless I misread again....

Eventually it will fail...but the DRIVE itself won't fail. This problem doesn't "break" your hard drive. It just eventually stops being able to communicate with the drive. The controller chip on the motherboard will fail. The drive should still work just fine (provided it isn't also defective) if you use it in another computer or on one of the unaffected controller ports.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Eventually it will fail...but the DRIVE itself won't fail. This problem doesn't "break" your hard drive. It just eventually stops being able to communicate with the drive. The controller chip on the motherboard will fail. The drive should still work just fine (provided it isn't also defective) if you use it in another computer or on one of the unaffected controller ports.

Of course, your data could be corrupted if failure while writing to the drive.

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
correct me if i am wrong, but doesn't the marvel chipset run the 6g ports and the intel chipset runs the 3g ports correct? i know the higher end boards have P67 6G Ports. correct?

MrTransistorm

May 25, 2003
Well, looking on the bright side, at least Intel admitted that there is a problem. If this was Apple, Steve Jobs would...

1. Deny it.
  2. Tell us, "You're holding it wrong."
  3. Issue rubber SATA bumpers for a limited time.
  4. Quietly fix the problem on the next model.
In that order :biggrin:

Looks like the egg flipped the switch, and is not selling ANY boards with the chipset issue.
It still shows them, but you can't add them to the cart.

Same with Superbiiz. They removed almost all of the s1155 boards, and the ones that remain are "out of stock."

I sent an email to Superbiiz asking what to do. My UD7 arrives tomorrow, and I'd prefer to use it now and replace it later. I'll have to see what they say.

Accord99

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2001
correct me if i am wrong, but doesn't the marvel chipset run the 6g ports and the intel chipset runs the 3g ports correct? i know the higher end boards have P67 6G Ports. correct?
The Intel 67 chipset has 2 SATA 3 ports and some MB manufacturers (like Asus) provide 2 more with the Marvel chipset to give a total of 4 SATA 3 ports.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Intel chipset runs 2 of the 6Gbps ports. If the board has more, it will have another controller running them (like the Marvel).

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010

Sabertooth has 4 Intel 3G, 2 Intel 6G, and 2 Marvel 6G...

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
Intel chipset runs 2 of the 6Gbps ports. If the board has more, it will have another controller running them (like the Marvel).

I have my front mount Sata Port and my Optical drive on the Marvel, seems to be working fine...

Ross Ridge

Dec 21, 2009
Of course I may just build the thing anyway. I have 5 SATA devices, meaning 4 on the SATA6 ports, and my old DVD-RW on the potentially problematic SATA3 port.

The P67 chipset only has two SATA 6Gb/s ports that are unaffected by this issue. Unless the motherboard you're getting has an additional SATA chip that provides extra SATA ports, you're going to have use more than just one of the chipset's broken SATA ports.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005

The specifications section of my P8P67 (standard) manual lists the two gray SATA 6.0gb/s ports under "Intel P67 Express Chipset" and the two navy blue SATA 6.0gb/s ports under "Marvell PCIe 9120 SATA 6.0gb/s controller".

I'm not sure about other motherboards, but the P8P67 appears to implement the native intel 6gb/s ports as well as an additional two Marvell 6.0gb/s ports.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001

Be caught trying to cover up a known flaw = potential that LOTS AND LOTS of customers decide they're never buying Intel again.....that is ship-sinking stuff.

Hahahahahahaahaaaaa. Riiiiight. Deciding something is one thing. How it plays out in reality is another ;) If anything the way Intel has handled this so far has only served to reinforce my opinion of the corporation. Companies of lesser integrity would try to lie, misdirect, conspire, obfuscate, and generally cloud the issue. Yes I'm annoyed that the new computer I just built has a flawed SATA controller (which I'm not using but might one day but probably not before they get a fix out to the market). Usually when there is something like this the customer ends up scouring tech support forums and finding scores of other people are having the exact same issue but everybody is being forced to go through a costly RMA process for what is an obviously flawed product...its such bullshit and it isn't allowed to happen in any other industry that I know of other than the PC/electronics industry. (Anybody own an old eVGA 7900 GT video card and experience the garbled screen distortion problem?) When the product is faulty, you recall. Period. And that's what Intel is doing and by dammit that is the right thing to do in the interest of customers. Now lets just hope they carry out the recall process as well as they've handled the announcement and disclosure of the problem details. Point is...next time you go to build a PC, you aren't going to remember this if Intel is still on top of the hill in terms of performance vs AMD...assuming AMD is still around. I'm pretty sure Intel will be. You aren't going to weigh your alternatives between AMD and Intel and go...wow this new Intel processor blows away AMD's current product line and it's priced pretty decent...but still...Intel had that faulty SATA controller that they recalled about 5 years ago...I guess because of that I'll buy this crappier product instead.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just read on Engadget that an Intel CSR says it doesn't affect H67 boards.

Update: Jimmy sent us a chat log with an Intel customer service representative indicating that this recall only affects "some desktop boards based on Intel P67 chipset," that the H67 chipset boards appear to not be affected, but that the company doesn't have a comprehensive list yet. We've certainly seen cases where CSRs don't have all the info in this sort of situation, but still we'd advise waiting a bit before tearing your new mobo out and bringing it back to the store.

Time will tell. Damn, I knew I should have went with the H67 board (almost did), LOL. The H67 board will, if not effected, become very popular during the next few months, lol! :p

joe_H

May 27, 2010
The P67 chipset only has two SATA 6Gb/s ports that are unaffected by this issue. Unless the motherboard you're getting has an additional SATA chip that provides extra SATA ports, you're going to have use more than just one of the chipset's broken SATA ports.

I bought the P8P67 Pro. 2 Intel 6Gb + 2 Marvell 6GBb + 4 Intel 3Gb.

Last edited:

Hooptymobile

Aug 28, 2010
Time will tell. Damn, I knew I should have went with the H67 board (almost did), LOL. The H67 board will, if not effected, become very popular during the next few months, lol! :p

This sounds like some marketing scheme to get people to buy up the H67. I think they like to whip up fear/frenzy in pc users by overexxagerating potential issues causing people to purchase less desirable models of the same thing.

Its all a crock..

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Someone on the CPU forums mentioned what I thought was a good idea. Just offer a SATA controller to those with the motherboards if they "want" it. I would probably take one if it were SATA III (6.0Gbps) controller with more than 2 ports.

This sounds like some marketing scheme to get people to buy up the H67. I think they like to whip up fear/frenzy in pc users by overexxagerating potential issues causing people to purchase less desirable models of the same thing.

Its all a crock..

LOL. Not a chance. Too much bad publicity and money involved in this one.
tin-foil-hat-625p.jpg

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Someone on the CPU forums mentioned what I thought was a good idea. Just offer a SATA controller to those with the motherboards if they "want" it. I would probably take one if it were SATA III (6.0Gbps) controller with more than 2 ports.

I would take that option over replacing the motherboard which would be oh such a hassle. frankly the 4 6 gb/s ports on the motherboard is really all this machine needs, because I have a separate storage server. paying good money for defective hardware just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. but hey uncaught bugs happen. let's just hope they treat us right.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I would take that option over replacing the motherboard which would be oh such a hassle. frankly the 4 6 gb/s ports on the motherboard is really all this machine needs, because I have a separate storage server. paying good money for defective hardware just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. but hey uncaught bugs happen. let's just hope they treat us right.

As long as Intel was straight shooting and the "only" thing wrong with the chipset is the SATA silicon...no problem..but in the back of my mind...I'm wondering if it's more.....:insert evil orchestra music here: :sneaky:

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone else here have any of the Gigabyte boards? All I see everyone mentioning are the Asus boards.

Hooptymobile

Aug 28, 2010
ok time for an amateur question: does this affect all p67 boards. what about ASRock or Gigabyte boards?

I noticed Tiger Direct yanked all of there mobos on site. Last night they had the ASUS Maximus IV Extreme posted as new product for 299.00. I decided to get up and drive to one of the outlet warhouses where they have showroom and purchase one but once I read of this and saw they have no 1155's on their site I decided to wait and learn more of this situation.