Intel says flaw in Series 6 Sandy Bridge chipsets

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
As long as Intel was straight shooting and the "only" thing wrong with the chipset is the SATA silicon...no problem..but in the back of my mind...I'm wondering if it's more.....:insert evil orchestra music here: :sneaky:

same here...

Seven

Jan 26, 2000
ok time for an amateur question: does this affect all p67 boards. what about ASRock or Gigabyte boards?

I noticed Tiger Direct yanked all of there mobos on site. Last night they had the ASUS Maximus IV Extreme posted as new product for 299.00. I decided to get up and drive to one of the outlet warhouses where they have showroom and purchase one but once I read of this and saw they have no 1155's on their site I decided to wait and learn more of this situation.

All SB boards are effected.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
ok time for an amateur question: does this affect all p67 boards. what about ASRock or Gigabyte boards?

I noticed Tiger Direct yanked all of there mobos on site. Last night they had the ASUS Maximus IV Extreme posted as new product for 299.00. I decided to get up and drive to one of the outlet warhouses where they have showroom and purchase one but once I read of this and saw they have no 1155's on their site I decided to wait and learn more of this situation.

all p67 boards. unless the board for some reason doesn't use the Intel SATA ports which would be quite odd.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

ALL P67 boards: Yes.

However, a few boards have more than 2 SATA III (6Gbps ports) by using a separate controller such as a Marvel. If you can live with the 6Gbps ports only, probably not such a bad deal. Still waiting to confirm that the H67 chips aren't effected (per a post at Engadget.com).

bad144

Oct 2, 2010
Just read on Engadget that an Intel CSR says it doesn't affect H67 boards.
If that were true, then how come newegg has pulled all their gigabyte h67 based motherboards from their website?

My gigabyte h67ma-ud2h bricked over the weekend, and now my RMA is in limbo. Newegg says they'll just be refunding me my money. Meanwhile looks like I have a 2600k cpu that I can't use till the replacement motherboards start shipping. Ugh.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If that were true, then how come newegg has pulled all their gigabyte h67 based motherboards from their website?

My gigabyte h67ma-ud2h bricked over the weekend, and now my RMA is in limbo. Newegg says they'll just be refunding me my money. Meanwhile looks like I have a 2600k cpu that I can't use till the replacement motherboards start shipping. Ugh.

Same reason that Newegg pulled the new Core I5 and Core I7 chips...react first...reason later. Since details are still murky, it makes sense to pull first and put back later if possible.

Hooptymobile

Aug 28, 2010
Im so damn glad I put off buying my mobo for SB to the last. Have case, psu , memory , cpu , peripherals, etc.

So my only options are to give in to the scheme and buy an H67 (which I definately would not do ), just buy a p67 regardless of the cheese, wait till April for a Z series (or sometime thereafter; considering high demand/sellouts).
hmmm. >_<

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Very true. I'm just getting very eager for a 2600K. It'll cut my render times by more than half.

Since this new 'bug' is said to only affect the 3gbps ports, wouldn't this board be mostly unaffected by the bug, since it has 4 6gbps ports? 4 SATA ports is all I need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157217

Or am I just having some sort of brain fart here?

Yes, I looked up your specs on that board and it looks like it uses Marvell ports for the additional two SATAIII controllers. On my Asus which also uses 2 Marvel SATA III controllers it says you are not supposed to use ATAPI devices on the Marvell ports...your motherboard might have the same limitation since it also uses Marvell. Just something to potentially aware of when arranging your drives.

bad144

Oct 2, 2010
Same reason that Newegg pulled the new Core I5 and Core I7 chips...react first...reason later. Since details are still murky, it makes sense to pull first and put back later if possible.
I wouldn't come to that conclusion. Doesn't make sense to sell any socket 1155 CPUs if there are no motherboards one can buy without having to worry about the defect.
So it's entirely consistent that the affected cpus&motherboards are pulled. The fact that the h67 motherboards are pulled implies that the problem does in fact include the h67 chips.

Anand's post explicitly includes h67 as well.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Just finished building my new 2600k system on an Asrock P67 Extreme6 two days ago. Seems to work alright now, I think I'll wait and see how they decide to fix it before ripping it all apart at this point. Glad to know about, as well.
I read an article about the defect earlier this morning, and I thought I remembered it saying that the defect was on die/chip? Something in regard to the transistor connections and how weak they were. Anyone confirm or deny that? Maybe clarify? Something about the part of the CPU that handles communications with IO devices...

EDIT: ok nevermind, I'm an idiot...
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/in...ostly-mistake-2011-01-31?reflink=MW_news_stmp

Last edited:

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
somebody is trying to tell me that the marvel chipset is just for the esata ports

On my Asus I'm pretty sure the eSATA port is JMicron. Not using it for anything currently though so I didn't concern myself with it too much.

Krynj

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2006
Yes, I looked up your specs on that board and it looks like it uses Marvell ports for the additional two SATAIII controllers. On my Asus which also uses 2 Marvel SATA III controllers it says you are not supposed to use ATAPI devices on the Marvell ports...your motherboard might have the same limitation since it also uses Marvell. Just something to potentially aware of when arranging your drives.

I haven't bought that board yet, but I've been considering it for weeks. Its 4 functional 6gbps SATA III ports is enough to make me buy it right now. I don't have more than 4 SATA drives anyway.

I don't have any ATAPI devices, so that's not an issue for me. I don't even plan on putting an optical drive in my new build.

Thinking I might buy this board right now. I really do not want to wait until April/May to get my Sandy Bridge build off the ground.

bad144

Oct 2, 2010
Well so much for the "all 6 series" theory from the press release...
That CSR is probably wrong.
microcenter has pulled all h67 motherboards too, and other sites are explicitly mentioning h67 as included in the recall. For example:

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20326

"Intel just held a conference call to talk about the Sandy Bridge chipset problems ... all 6-series chipsets, including the H67 and P67"

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001

Probably because newegg read the same initial public press release as everybody else where it stated that ALL 6 SERIES were affected and probably decided to deactivate them pending further authoritative clarifications.

bad144

Oct 2, 2010
Probably because newegg read the same initial public press release as everybody else where it stated that ALL 6 SERIES were affected and probably decided to deactivate them pending further authoritative clarifications.
No, probably not. My previous quote explicitly mentioning *all* chipsets was from an updated conference call not the initial report.
Official conference call trumps anonymous CSR info.

Last edited:

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
That CSR is probably wrong.
microcenter has pulled all h67 motherboards too, and other sites are explicitly mentioning h67 as included in the recall. For example:

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20326

"Intel just held a conference call to talk about the Sandy Bridge chipset problems ... all 6-series chipsets, including the H67 and P67"

Well so much for the "so much for the 'all 6 series' theory from the press release..." theory.

bad144

Oct 2, 2010
Well so much for the "so much for the 'all 6 series' theory from the press release..." theory.
I guess that's how you say, sorry I see you must be right?

BTW, Anand did another follow up article still implicating the h67

bad144

Oct 2, 2010
Geez cool down bad144. It's like you're hoping it's not just the P67s that are affected.
I'm understandbly testy with my h67 board bricked and apparently no way to get a replacement for months. Paid top dollar for a cpu I can't even use in the mean time.

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
How did you "brick" your board? I doubt at this early stage that this problem Intel told us all about is related to how your board died.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Can I sue Intel for emotional distress and anxiety for killing my Sandy Bridge dreams? Maybe a class action? :sneaky:

bad144

Oct 2, 2010
How did you "brick" your board? I doubt at this early stage that this problem Intel told us all about is related to how your board died.
The board bricked itself after two weeks of OS development work (lots of reboots).