Discussion Intel Meteor, Arrow, Lunar & Panther Lakes Discussion Threads

Page 85 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tigerick

Apr 1, 2022
PPT1.jpg
PPT2.jpg
PPT3.jpg

As Hot Chips 34 starting this week, Intel will unveil technical information of upcoming Meteor Lake (MTL) and Arrow Lake (ARL), new generation platform after Raptor Lake. Both MTL and ARL represent new direction which Intel will move to multiple chiplets and combine as one SoC platform.

MTL also represents new compute tile that based on Intel 4 process which is based on EUV lithography, a first from Intel. Intel expects to ship MTL mobile SoC in 2023.

ARL will come after MTL so Intel should be shipping it in 2024, that is what Intel roadmap is telling us. ARL compute tile will be manufactured by Intel 20A process, a first from Intel to use GAA transistors called RibbonFET.

Comparison of upcoming Intel's U-series CPU: Core Ultra 100U, Lunar Lake and Panther Lake

ModelCode-NameDateTDPNodeTilesMain TileCPULP E-CoreLLCGPUXe-cores
Core Ultra 100UMeteor LakeQ4 202315 - 57 WIntel 4 + N5 + N64tCPU2P + 8E212 MBIntel Graphics4
?Lunar LakeQ4 202417 - 30 WN3B + N62CPU + GPU & IMC4P + 4E08 MBArc8
?Panther LakeQ1 2026 ??Intel 18A + N3E3CPU + MC4P + 8E4?Arc12

Comparison of die size of Each Tile of Meteor Lake, Arrow Lake, Lunar Lake and Panther Lake

Meteor LakeArrow Lake (20A)Arrow Lake (N3B)Lunar LakePanther Lake
PlatformMobile H/U OnlyDesktop OnlyDesktop & Mobile H&HXMobile U OnlyMobile H
Process NodeIntel 4Intel 20ATSMC N3BTSMC N3BIntel 18A
DateQ4 2023Q1 2025 ?Desktop-Q4-2024
H&HX-Q1-2025
Q4 2024Q1 2026 ?
Full Die6P + 8P6P + 8E ?8P + 16E4P + 4E4P + 8E
LLC24 MB24 MB ?36 MB ?12 MB?
tCPU66.48
tGPU44.45
SoC96.77
IOE44.45
Total252.15

LNL-MX.png

Intel Core Ultra 100 - Meteor Lake

INTEL-CORE-100-ULTRA-METEOR-LAKE-OFFCIAL-SLIDE-2.jpg

As mentioned by Tomshardware, TSMC will manufacture the I/O, SoC, and GPU tiles. That means Intel will manufacture only the CPU and Foveros tiles. (Notably, Intel calls the I/O tile an 'I/O Expander,' hence the IOE moniker.)

Clockspeed.png

Attachments

• PantherLake.png
    PantherLake.png
    283.5 KB · Views: 24,006
  • LNL.png
    LNL.png
    881.8 KB · Views: 25,488
Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
And what does ML remind you of?

Here's a bunch of acronyms, notice a pattern?
SKL
KBL
CFL
CML
RKL
ADL
RPL

Which is why i am asking who comes with these acronyms.

SKL itself is a joke... they only took out 1 letter in SKY for heavens sake.
*goes off kicking the can*

eek2121

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2005
Intel first needs to get their CPUs in order. With Arrow Lake and Panther Lake the outcome will be seen. They need income rolling in and then they can start expanding again to other areas.
Raptor Lake Refresh is sure to contain a few “surprises“. (some unwelcome: higher power consumption, for starters, if a recent rumor is correct)

Meteor Lake is going to be an interesting part to watch. That is where Intel begins to get their ducks in a row, so to speak.

SpudLobby

May 18, 2022
What do we know about Lunar Lake?

Apparently it will be on N3 - well, reasonably speaking given it won't be on an Intel process which leaves N3 in that timeframe.

There is a rumor it's a 4+4 chip? This might make sense if part of the goal is for a more affordable SoC with lower power and leakage overhead to compete with Apple or Qualcomm in ultramobile parts.

Will it be monolithic or with fewer tiles? Etc.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
There is a rumor it's a 4+4 chip? This might make sense if part of the goal is for a more affordable SoC with lower power and leakage overhead to compete with Apple or Qualcomm in ultramobile parts.
4+4, yes. Affordable, definitely not. I bet we see very few devices with Lunar Lake, though I hope I'm wrong on that.
Seems to be almost monolithic, and a similar split to ADL. One main tile with CPU, GPU, AI, etc., and another with mostly IO. But on a Foveros base die.

Reactions: Tlh97 and SpudLobby

H433x0n

Golden Member
Mar 15, 2023
What do we know about Lunar Lake?

Apparently it will be on N3 - well, reasonably speaking given it won't be on an Intel process which leaves N3 in that timeframe.

I don’t think Lunar Lake was ever rumored to be on N3. Unless you’re saying that 18 months from now you still think Intel will be stuck on the Intel 7 node.

SpudLobby

May 18, 2022
I don’t think Lunar Lake was ever rumored to be on N3. Unless you’re saying that 18 months from now you still think Intel will be stuck on the Intel 7 node.
Lol

Man you have to keep up. Way too much faith in Intel as if they're throwing everything on their own processes.

SpudLobby

May 18, 2022
4+4, yes. Affordable, definitely not. I bet we see very few devices with Lunar Lake, though I hope I'm wrong on that.

Seems to be almost monolithic, and a similar split to ADL. One main tile with CPU, GPU, AI, etc., and another with mostly IO. But on a Foveros base die.
Yeah, affordable was the wrong phrasing in context of the PC market.

But when you look at Phoenix laptops so far it's not like there's a premium on Apple, I suppose my presumption is that with the die size rumored and denser libraries, a smaller GPU it probably won't be as costly as a larger one might be, granted it's on N3, so. Affordable is really in context of Intel's more expensive (likely IMO) Arrow Lake et. al.

Jul 27, 2020
It's inherent to Lion Cove, for better or worse. ARL will have the same restrictions as Lunar Lake.
Guess it means fewer side-channel vulnerabilities. Also less heat generation. And less cache contention. Why pretend to have virtual cores when you can have plentiful E-cores. Interesting move. Is AMD gonna do the same?

Reactions: SpudLobby