News Intel figured out how to compete with AMD!

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
They put some comic book characters on the box. I **** you not.

Screen2.jpg

Can't wait for my next Ryzen to come with Judge Dredd on the box.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
More reasons form me not to buy Intel then, I can't stand the whole superhero craze. You'd have to pay me to watch/play/read any of this crap.
went to a kobi beef buffet before going to avengers endgame, fell asleep in the middle and woke up for the action. It was in 4DX too not sure how i was sleeping with the chair flying around and rain hitting me. As far as boxes with comics sure why not, seems like people will make it a collectors edition or something. I usually buy a binned cpu or used so no need for extra boxes cluttering my house, im sure they will be OK with out you watching their movies.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Thanks Intel, I now know what to build my 3-year old's PC with. He'd go bananas for the box.
And thats what they work for, 3 year olds..... And that who will buy them, the parents of a 3 year old.

The rest of the world will buy AMD right now. (yes that may change, but right now AMD pretty much rules the DIY space.)

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
And thats what they work for, 3 year olds..... And that who will buy them, the parents of a 3 year old.

The rest of the world will buy AMD right now. (yes that may change, but right now AMD pretty much rules the DIY space.)
you honestly think those movies are for a three-year-old? or that a three-year-old plays with boxes? Loads of people purchase intel who want things to just work right the first time and not have to wait for updates for their pc to function with out flaws. i just bought another xeon chip and it didnt have a super hero box or anything! I wonder how many people will buy the cpu and not even use it or open the box. The movies are PG-13 suited for young adults and old adults :) its ok if you dont like collecting boxes i dont either.

Reactions: Burpo

Markfw

May 16, 2002
you honestly think those movies are for a three-year-old? or that a three-year-old plays with boxes? Loads of people purchase intel who want things to just work right the first time and not have to wait for updates for their pc to function with out flaws. i just bought another xeon chip and it didnt have a super hero box or anything! I wonder how many people will buy the cpu and not even use it or open the box. The movies are PG-13 suited for young adults and old adults :) its ok if you dont like collecting boxes i dont either.
Works right the first time ? Every Ryzen box I have I bought, assembled, and it worked perfectly right off the bat. If you had a problem, maybe you need to go back to school on assembling computers.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Works right the first time ? Every Ryzen box I have I bought, assembled, and it worked perfectly right off the bat. If you had a problem, maybe you need to go back to school on assembling computers.
sounds like a personal attack, you are saying there has never been a issue with threadrippers and linux that required updates 6 months later? maybe you just didnt know about it or are pretending you dont know.. /shrug

Reactions: Burpo

Markfw

May 16, 2002
sounds like a personal attack, you are saying there has never been a issue with threadrippers and linux that required updates 6 months later? maybe you just didnt know about it or are pretending you dont know.. /shrug
I have /had 8 threadrippers. I have never had a problem with them. I converted most of my threadsrippers to EPYC for higher core count. Do you have a specific issue in mind ? Care to share it. ? If you are going to bad mouth Ryzen, why are you now bringing up thread ripper ? Do you have a Ryzen issue that you have had that didn't work the first time ? Do you even own any Ryzen/.threadripper ?

Oh, and all of my threadrippers except one run linux.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Here's my thoughts:

1) Intel, superhero characters? AWESOME marketing tie-in. Since Intel is mostly marketed to gamers, I'd rather see "Hulk" or "Captain America" on the box, than some demonic glowing skull with "Intel" etched into it.

2) Ryzen bugs. At least with Zen1, yes Mark, there were some serious issues with Linux and some programs and compiling and some other issues, with really early silicon batches (of which I had, but I didn't run Linux). I did have freezes/reboots every month or so (NOT Windows Update reboots), with my Zen1 1600 when it was overclocked, even to a relatively conservative 3.80Ghz. I finally decided to just run them stock. Most of the problems went away. (So, OK, blame overclocking for that one, but it's just weird, kind of, that it would run things like PrimeGrid for a month on end, no problems, and then reboot while at the desktop.)

Edit:
3) For the record, at least for the more mature purchasers of PCs, I actually did make the public suggestion here on the forums, of etching sports teams' logos and names into the heatspreader. Since sports is pretty-much a goner now with COVID, that idea doesn't sound so hot anymore.

I would still support Intel doing what M&Ms does, allowing user content on the heatspreader. Imagine if you could have a one-of-a-kind unique CPU heatspreader, just for you! With your grandson's picture, or name, or something, on it! Wouldn't that be "AWESOME"?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Here's my thoughts:

1) Intel, superhero characters? AWESOME marketing tie-in. Since Intel is mostly marketed to gamers, I'd rather see "Hulk" or "Captain America" on the box, than some demonic glowing skull with "Intel" etched into it.

2) Ryzen bugs. At least with Zen1, yes Mark, there were some serious issues with Linux and some programs and compiling and some other issues, with really early silicon batches (of which I had, but I didn't run Linux). I did have freezes/reboots every month or so (NOT Windows Update reboots), with my Zen1 1600 when it was overclocked, even to a relatively conservative 3.80Ghz. I finally decided to just run them stock. Most of the problems went away. (So, OK, blame overclocking for that one, but it's just weird, kind of, that it would run things like PrimeGrid for a month on end, no problems, and then reboot while at the desktop.)

Edit:
3) For the record, at least for the more mature purchasers of PCs, I actually did make the public suggestion here on the forums, of etching sports teams' logos and names into the heatspreader. Since sports is pretty-much a goner now with COVID, that idea doesn't sound so hot anymore.

I would still support Intel doing what M&Ms does, allowing user content on the heatspreader. Imagine if you could have a one-of-a-kind unique CPU heatspreader, just for you! With your grandson's picture, or name, or something, on it! Wouldn't that be "AWESOME"?
I have a 1700x that is still running every day as my sons work computer. Flawless after 3 years ? I used linux on all my Zen1 boxes for DC work, so I don't know what you are talking about,.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I'm not in the target audience Intel is going after here, but there's product tie-ins with everything anymore, so I don't really care one way or the other.

My only question would be why they waited so long after all the Marvel cinematic universe movies have been out since forever. Something like this would have made a lot more sense when Infinity War or Endgame was released. I mean, really right now the entire series is in the middle of its longest Marvel movie break since they began with Iron Man in 2008.

I wonder if they're going to go with He Man or GI Joe for the next marketing tie-in? ;)

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I'm not in the target audience Intel is going after here, but there's product tie-ins with everything anymore, so I don't really care one way or the other.

My only question would be why they waited so long after all the Marvel cinematic universe movies have been out since forever. Something like this would have made a lot more sense when Infinity War or Endgame was released. I mean, really right now the entire series is in the middle of its longest Marvel movie break since they began with Iron Man in 2008.

I wonder if they're going to go with He Man or GI Joe for the next marketing tie-in? ;)
My guess is that they were not desperate until now, so trying anything to get back some popularity ??

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I have /had 8 threadrippers. I have never had a problem with them. I converted most of my threadsrippers to EPYC for higher core count. Do you have a specific issue in mind ? Care to share it. ? If you are going to bad mouth Ryzen, why are you now bringing up thread ripper ? Do you have a Ryzen issue that you have had that didn't work the first time ? Do you even own any Ryzen/.threadripper ?

Oh, and all of my threadrippers except one run linux.

here are some articles about the bugs mentioned and there are zillions of other articles i can link too just took 10 seconds right now to look.

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/bugs.html

these are all bugs with the ryzen chips, as far as how many i own? i own one threadripper with issues 1950x that was patched 4-6 months later, i run one 2700x, and 2x 3600x. havnt slept in a while and been working but im sure i own more ryzen cpu's then those 4 chips, all of my laptops are intel, all my firewalls are intel, just purchased 2 more mini nuc's (8250u and 9750h) that are intel (i dont know why they dont offer more ryzen nucs a 4700u would have been great) I love amd and love intel, but people DO purchase intel for less compatibility issues, some software just simply works with intel and doesnt with out patches and work arounds for amd, not the end of the world but im not going to pretend it isnt a thing because it is. (i can make another long winded post about those if you like but now its time for some dinner.

Reactions: VirtualLarry