Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Isn't Intel working on a complete revamp of X86 for post tiger lake chips? I read some new stories about it dated from last year. Supposedly leaner, faster and all that kind of stuff.

Reactions: Drazick

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
Wi-Fi and USB 3.1 according to digitimes.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20170615PD208.html

So nothing interesting between the chipsets then, good for those getting Z370! Personally, I couldn't care less about those two features not being integrated.

What, no love for Pelican Lake?

LOL - pretty sure that's been canceled :p

Time to update the naming. Too many lakes.

Yeah, we need to dive deep into creeks soon. I love a good creek!

Haha, it's all lakes for years and years to come. Some of them sound pretty cool, though, esp. in the 7nm generation :)

All I know is Tiger Lake which is supposed to be on 7nm right? Or is that 10nm++?

Isn't Intel working on a complete revamp of X86 for post tiger lake chips? I read some new stories about it dated from last year. Supposedly leaner, faster and all that kind of stuff.

Yes, with Ice Lake, to be succeeded by Tiger Lake. I am extremely curious about both, because they are a revamp.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
Why do you say that?

One thing I'd use 6-cores for occasionally would be video encoding. And that could take a long time, at full tilt. It'd probably throttle at all-core Turbo in short order, unless it was a custom build with some upgraded cooling or something.

In my experience, Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 on desktops runs indefinitely in real-world apps. The power limit (by default equal to TDP) is typically only reached using something like AIDA64 FPU test or Prime95 small FFT.
Another situation is simultaneously stressing the CPU and integrated GPU. After I raised power limit to 120 W, I ran Prime95 small FFT and FurMark on Core i7-7700, and CPU package power was 100 W.
Using stock cooler, CPU temperature at 100 W was also 100 C, although the chassis was ASRock DeskMini 110, not the most open chassis. Thermals won't be an issue at 95 W, if you consider not being an issue to be no frequency throttling.

Mar 10, 2006
What comes after Tigerlake. 7nm. Potentially anything could be removed in favor of whatever makes Amazon and Google happy.

No. Sapphire Rapid comes after Ice Lake-SP in servers, but on client, the post-Tiger part isn't a rapid (nor is it a Sapphire, AFAIK).

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
It was in a Lenovo roadmap, it is the first 7nm product. It's somewhere in my tweet history.

Yeah. It mentioned "Ice Lake Refresh" which I take to be Tigerlake Server, which would match up with Intel saying that 10++ would be first for server.

In terms of performance, Icelake will probably have a token IPC improvement at best and Ice/Tiger clock speeds likely won't change much either at the higher end. It's pretty much EMIB and moar corez.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
No. Sapphire Rapid comes after Ice Lake-SP in servers, but on client, the post-Tiger part isn't a rapid (nor is it a Sapphire, AFAIK).

At this point I'm almost wondering if Intel will even bother to continue to do mainstream cores. I guess they could shrink Tigerlake to 7 nm.

Mar 10, 2006
At this point I'm almost wondering if Intel will even bother to continue to do mainstream cores. I guess they could shrink Tigerlake to 7 nm.

They are doing mainstream cores still. There's a *lot* of lakes in the pipeline -- mainstream Core as well as Atom.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

They need client CPUs, at the least, to keep wafer volumes up.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
Yeah well, the socket forced march is par for the course as far as Intel goes.

Well, that just auto makes it proper then I guess, just because Intel has done it before?

People who bought KL this year should be happy about it, having no upgrade for their new, this year's released setup? Should people try to place blame on AMD, for basically CL happening this soon?

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017

Thanks for clearing that up. Is it known by what name the Tiger Lake successor goes?

OC3D owner Tom Logan said: Just as a parting gift, if youve read this far and youve watched the video thank you, if youre here to see if you need to buy the 7820X or for that matter any X299 as the basis for your gaming system we have one thing to say to you. Don't. In the grand scheme of things you either want to go and grab a Z270 /7700K based system or if you want a few more cores for occasional rendering and streaming then just go buy the Ryzen 1700. If you do buy AMD though don't turn into one of the mentalist fanboy keyboard warriors ruining the scene at the moment.

This kind of sealed the deal for me and makes me look at Coffee Lake-S 6C/12T for my gaming rig.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2006
Thanks for clearing that up. Is it known by what name the Tiger Lake successor goes?

No worries. I don't believe the post-Tiger CPU codename has been leaked publicly yet.

This kind of sealed the deal for me and makes me look at Coffee Lake-S 6C/12T for my gaming rig.

CFL-S should be the best gaming CPU of this year, IMHO. Sky-X is awesome and I'm getting it, but CFL-S should be the best balance of threads/platform features/per-core perf.