Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 730 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2022
Not quite. I'm saying that if the intention was to have a converged architecture, it would not make sense to have the graphics group leading the effort. Contrast this with networking, where the main Xeon team makes a chip, and then Intel's networking group builds on it to make Xeon-D and the 5G basestation chips. That doesn't seem to be what's happening for Falcon Shores.
I am curios , given the organization structure updates intel announced yesterday, in your opinion how likely is it for intel to execute on the falcon shores concept within 3 years from now? is that moving the needle ?

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
I am curios , given the organization structure updates intel announced yesterday, in your opinion how likely is it for intel to execute on the falcon shores concept within 3 years from now? is that moving the needle ?

I think there's basically no chance we'll see Falcon Shores before 2026. My reading of that announcement is that the entire AXG org got demoted to a subsidiary of DCAI, and I think that's a mistake in the long run, and/or likely something that they revert in the future. By contrast, NEX seems to be very successful as an independent, self-contained entity.

Even more interesting is Raja. They say he's going back to the "Chief Architect" role, but it's entirely different. Raja used to have all of the graphics, software, and some miscellaneous other teams under himself as "Chief Architect". Then that got narrowed down to mostly just graphics (ok, sensible enough). Now he doesn't seem to lead anything. I can't help but wonder what his future is at Intel. In particular, I question why they published this news publicly in the first place. Intel doesn't do that for every major reorg, so my gut feeling is there must be some politics at play.

But to answer your actual question, I consider this neutral to slightly negative for Falcon Shores, and remain firm in my belief that we won't see it till 2026-27.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Maybe. In the old reddit leak Nova Lake was the one with the entirely new architecture. Seems like we will see two major Cove updates before this, or maybe one. I don't know what Panther Cove brings to the table, maybe it's more a refresh of Arrow Lake/Lion Cove who knows.

dangerman1337

Sep 16, 2010

Wouldn't be suprised if PTL Next/Nova Lake ends up being DDR5 as well. LGA 1851 is a beefy socket and I hope Intel at least does ARL>PTL>NVL. I mean DDR6 can wait until like 2027 or so (or hell arguably they could just skip DDR6 & PCI-e 6.0 entirely).
Maybe. In the old reddit leak Nova Lake was the one with the entirely new architecture. Seems like we will see two major Cove updates before this, or maybe one. I don't know what Panther Cove brings to the table, maybe it's more a refresh of Arrow Lake/Lion Cove who knows.
Maybe Panther Cove is an iteration of Lion Cove on 18A from N3E? Makes sense to me.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005

Wouldn't be suprised if PTL Next/Nova Lake ends up being DDR5 as well. LGA 1851 is a beefy socket and I hope Intel at least does ARL>PTL>NVL. I mean DDR6 can wait until like 2027 or so (or hell arguably they could just skip DDR6 & PCI-e 6.0 entirely).

Maybe Panther Cove is an iteration of Lion Cove on 18A from N3E? Makes sense to me.

Also LGA 1851 supporting 3 generations doesn’t mean Intel won’t require 3 different motherboards, one for for each gen, which they did in the past like with LGA 115X. The socket could be exactly the same but they might for commercial reasons decide it makes more sense to roll out multiple motherboard gens. The board partners certainly won’t complain over the chance to sell more boards, like with the incremental generations of Skylake needing new motherboards.

Reactions: ftt

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012

Nova ist the 4th generation and entirely new by the looks of it, no chance. Best case will be Panther Lake for LGA18xx.

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Also LGA 1851 supporting 3 generations doesn’t mean Intel won’t require 3 different motherboards, one for for each gen, which they did in the past like with LGA 115X. The socket could be exactly the same but they might for commercial reasons decide it makes more sense to roll out multiple motherboard gens. The board partners certainly won’t complain over the chance to sell more boards, like with the incremental generations of Skylake needing new motherboards.

Yes, I remember them farting around with the voltage regulators. On chip then off then on... I think that was why same pinout chips needed different mobos.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Also LGA 1851 supporting 3 generations doesn’t mean Intel won’t require 3 different motherboards, one for for each gen, which they did in the past like with LGA 115X.

Intel's never done that specifically. You've pretty much always gotten two. You're thinking of 1151 / v2, which each one technically got two generations of chips. I do think they were going to allow v2 to work with Kaby Lake but at the last moment decided otherwise.

Guess we will have to see if they do some sort of 1700 v2 with Raptor Lake Refresh.

BorisTheBlade82

May 1, 2020
What are the chances of Intel doing a reverse Rocket Lake and putting the RPL refresh on Intel 4? I mean, Intel did start designing node agnostic CPUs after the 10nm fiasco.
IMHO they are rather low as I suspect that Intel is not able to produce a whole monolithic SoC on Intel4. As far as we know, the process is rather "tailored" - a lot of libraries on the PDK is missing. While everything for the Compute Tile of MTL might be there, for a SoC you need a broader set - especially IO.

Reactions: cebri1

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Chips & Cheese has an article out. like always, more technical than empirical

Golden Cove’s Lopsided Vector Register File

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
There's also Cougar Cove somewhere, reportedly for Panther Lake. So this would imply that Nova Lake would be the debut of both Royal and Panther Cove, unless one or both of these posts are currently inaccurate.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
DDR6 is targeted to late in the decade. Assuming PTL and NVL are 2025 and 2026 products respectively, that's still firmly in DDR5 territory. PCIe 6.0 might start coming in around 2026, but that would be iffy.

I think the big question for LGA 1851 is whether MTL+ARL count as one gen or two. Because it would kind of suck if it's just ARL->PTL from an enthusiast perspective.

BorisTheBlade82

May 1, 2020
Reactions: moinmoin

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
If performance is bad then yes, Canon Lake redo.

But if performance is good then possibly just Intel getting some parts out while yields get better.
Performance has been all over the place from barely matching Milan(at core disadvantage 64C vs 60C) to be even with Genoa(at core parity in synthetic Geekbench) :confused:

Reactions: Geddagod

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
They said they've been in mass production since the end of last year, so at this point it just seems a matter of ODMs rolling out their full product lines. The hyperscalers probably have first dibs.

I recall a few months ago when some rumor monger claimed they wouldn't ramp till H2'23...
Performance has been all over the place from barely matching Milan(at core disadvantage 64C vs 60C) to be even with Genoa(at core parity in synthetic Geekbench) :confused:
Milan-tier sounds about right for typical use cases (i.e. no accelerators, AMX, etc.). Genoa's obviously going to be way better.

Tigerick

Apr 1, 2022
So Sapphire Rapids are estimated to ship in volumes in H2 2023 provided Intel don't encounter any last minute bugs. Way to go, Intel. ;)

At this stage and with MTL delays, I don't believe Intel management has any hopes that GNR & SF are going to ship in times. Intel has been rumored to test 3 Xeon chips at TSMC N3 process, of which should be GNR, SF & IOD? So I wonder is Intel going to ask TSMC's help this round?:D

Last edited:

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Milan-tier sounds about right for typical use cases (i.e. no accelerators, AMX, etc.). Genoa's obviously going to be way better.
I agree.

But look at this. Some mad lad was able to use two 5995WX on a 2S Motherboard(which is not really a surprise since The TR Pro are rebranded Milan parts)

1672678794053.png

Would be awesome if someone on this forum would do that for a Genoa TR PRO CPUs

• Love
Reactions: lightmanek