Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 666 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 24, 2022
Should Intel skip 13 and call Raptor Lake 14th gen for good/better luck? My residential building does not have a 13th floor. At least, not that I know of. Haven't really taken the stairs to investigate.
But then the 14th floor is really the 13th floor. lolol :grin:

And what's really creepy is - this is the top of thread page 666. :eek:

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022
Perhaps I am wrong. It's happened. It will happen again. I can tell you that probably no one likes you taking up all that space with pictures.
Pictures that prove Rocket Lake was an amazing platform if you grabbed the right mobo and right mem kits - I realize for most enthusiasts RKL was a true dud, but it didn't have to be.

So many enthusiasts, like yourself don't know about the Hynix DJR DDR4 kits and how well they overclock with RKL's outstanding IMC (at least when using an ROG bios) - so I think it's a good thing moving from ignorance to understanding.

The Hynix DJR kits are still available for Alder Lake and will be there for Raptor Lake as well, so it's good to spread the word, helps out other enthusiasts running work builds who's apps will benefit greatly from high mem bandwidth. It's like moving from SATA to an NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD - responsiveness is greatly improved.

Not everyone is using their PC for gaming. (Not that there's anything wrong with that) :grinning:

I always post images when I feel like I need to prove my experiences actually do exist, and not simply fabricated. lol

This mem kit below is the fastest Hynix DJR DDR4 kit currently available from Gskill, and just take a look at the QVL.

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Let me guess, Geardown 4? You had DDR4-5066 and all that got you was 46.5ns latency? Comet routinely did 40ns at much lower speeds.

The AMD part is a little fishy. Even if they were cutting APU and GPU orders, you would think they would be able to shift to more Milan and consoles.

If Milan suddenly became a lot more available, that would be real bad news for Intel's server business, you would think.
Isn't most of Intel's server market share still fulfilled by14nm Cascade Lake-AP? Even if server CPU demand contracts a bit, AMD could easily cut into that with Milan or Genoa. And some of those cancelled orders are probably N5-family orders.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and coercitiv

Det0x

Sep 11, 2014
Dood you won't even come close to my "very old and ancient" RKL build for a million years, so why you keep talking? :p
Maybe i'm getting old and my memory is faulty, but didnt rocketlake gen11 lose handily to Zen3 both in gaming and almost everything else when both were maxed tweaked/overclocked ? (no i dont consider aida64 as a "benchmark") And when Alder Lake got released it got slaughtered in everything but corner case AVX512 ? (and when you disable e-cores on the early 12gen 12900k's we get same story even in avx512 workloads)

Anyway, think ive seen that picture in 3 different threads now.. in my decently large 4 pump ~7.5L (~2 gallion) watercooling rig i have a other solution with spillproof quickconnects on many of the major components -> its very easy to swap waterblocks/motherboard etc when i can just disconnect waterblock to both CPU and GPU without draining loop (also installed connects on my standalone mo-ra3 and extended the loop after pictures below were taken)

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Woah. ADL mobile is barely faster than Zen 3 (plain Zen 3! Not even 3+!) in Linux and consumes considerably more power. Abysmal :eek:
It's Phoronix, so be careful about drawing too many conclusions from their test suite. The geometric mean includes a lot of really niche stuff, and it also heavily favors ST performance which works quite well for the 12900k vs 5950X but not so well for 1280P vs 5850U.

Also, kind of the wrong thread since we have a dedicated Alder Lake thread (and dedicated Zen3 threads. In multiples).

ASK THE COMMUNITY