Intel Chips With “Vega Inside” Coming Soon?

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Yep, and it will have rubbish cooling. It was not able to cool Iris Pro's from Haswell Gen, and they throttled as hell.

Not to mention the insanely high prices. I expect this will be $200-$300 more than a Skull Canyon NUC was on Intro.

ksec

Mar 5, 2010
Upon reading the slide, I think it is clear this isn't really an Apple requested product at all.

Not only is this a EMIB showcase, but also about Intel Vs Nvidia. This Kaby-Lake G is striking Nvidia where it hurts most, Gaming Market, Especially Notebook Gaming market which is the segment that is growing and slowing the PC shipment decline.

Why? The Gaming Market profits are being used to fund HPC and AI R&D, market which Intel is desperately trying to win.

It will be interesting to see how Intel price this, and how AMD will price their upcoming APU.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I don't see how this product makes sense for AMD, unless their APU has even better performance. Unless, MCM (for the HBM) just can't match EMIB right now.

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
There was a leak some time ago of a "server apu" with 28CU Vega...

Maybe 4 CU where disabled for yelds?

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
I don't see how this product makes sense for AMD, unless their APU has even better performance. Unless, MCM (for the HBM) just can't match EMIB right now.

Maybe AMD wanted to use EMIB instead of SI packaging, but there was nothing in it for Intel, so perhaps this is throwing Intel a PR bone, in return for a AMD only EMIB design to follow.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 laptops start at ~1000 USD; should be the target price point of Intel Core i7-8709G.

AMD may have played themselves if Intel Core i5-8305G is priced low enough, and AMD Raven Ridge is in one handful of laptops that start around 750 USD.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
The 7700HQ comparison laptop uses single channel memory. Notebookcheck 7700HQ + GTX 1060 Max-Q uses dual channel memory.

That explains why notebookcheck results are higher. The Vega M GH is however, within 5% of the GTX 1060 Max-Q.

With 75WHr battery they are claiming it'll reach 8 hours battery life with a 4K panel. Which is pretty nice.

They are saying the HBM2 memory uses 1.3W while equivalent GDDR5 comparison would use 10.9W.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 laptops start at ~1000 USD; should be the target price point of Intel Core i7-8709G.

AMD may have played themselves if Intel Core i5-8305G is priced low enough, and AMD Raven Ridge is in one handful of laptops that start around 750 USD.

price is one thing but also size and weight. RR are 15-25w parts or something like that while kaby-g is 65-100w. They are playing in a completely different league. Just look at the new NUC meaning it's size (pretty big for a NUC) due to the required cooling. bigger, heavier laptops always offer better performance/$ but usually are only semi-mobile and their battery life sucks.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
price is one thing but also size and weight. RR are 15-25w parts or something like that while kaby-g is 65-100w. They are playing in a completely different league. Just look at the new NUC meaning it's size (pretty big for a NUC) due to the required cooling. bigger, heavier laptops always offer better performance/$ but usually are only semi-mobile and their battery life sucks.

Pricing will be in a different league as well. Intel Naked CPU will probably still cost more than Raven Ridge. Add Radeon chip and HBM memory, then bigger battery, power supply and beefed up cooling. These will be at minimum $200 more than a Raven Ridge laptop. I expect if bigger delta than that.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
The more radeons AMD sells the more radeons AMD sells...
It's a no brainer for AMD it can only mean more sales for them.
RR would be a low volume sale anyway no matter how good it is.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Because the patch doesn't have that much of a performance hit for consumer workloads.
That's probably true, but why not just wait, unless you have a really old system. New Intel chips will be here this year, most likely.

Why risk buying a vulnerable chip now?

Unless I had a really old system that needed to be replaced very soon, I would await developments.

I would not invest in any vulnerable chips.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
HP Spectre X360 15 now has an option for Core i7 with Radeon Vega M GL. The laptop starts at $1369.99, however that's with the Geforce MX 150 and Core i7 8550U. The $1449.99 version is the starting price for Kabylake-G. $80 premium that gets you 2x graphics and essentially full power Core H chip is quite nice.

13.5 hours of battery for MX150 version, 12 hours for KBL-G. 17mm thickness.

Dell is also going to release a Kabylake-G laptop. XPS 15, and uses the 65W GL part with cTDPdown at 45W.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-H...aby-Lake-R-and-Kaby-Lake-G-SKUs.269626.0.html

csbin

Feb 4, 2013
Radeon ReLive
Radeon WattMan
Radeon Chill
Radeon FreeSync

https://www.pcper.com/image/view/88557?return=node/69007

kblg-22.jpg

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Nice little machine. It's what the Mac Mini should be also, instead of an old derelict thingy. The price tag would seem to fit.

The NUC starts at $800 for the low power, 20 CU version, and that doesn't include any RAM, Storage or OS.

So $1000 is about the minimum entry price for the slow version of a functional PC, for the Windows PC version.

That would put the Mac Mini version at $1200+.

Price tag doesn't really fit the Mini profile.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Maybe AMD wanted to use EMIB instead of SI packaging, but there was nothing in it for Intel, so perhaps this is throwing Intel a PR bone, in return for a AMD only EMIB design to follow.

And to follow means today.

It is really looking like my theory is holding up. I suspect Vega Mobile is using EMIB. It is touting 1.7mm Z-Height, the same as Intel is for Kaby-G. Lower Z-Height is supposed to be an advantage of EMIB over SI.

Vega M and Kaby G look like the same product without and with the Intel CPU tacked on. AMD wanted Vega M on EMIB and Intel said, whats in it for us.

https://wccftech.com/amd-new-vega-discrete-gpu-for-mobility-with-hbm2-memory/

3cIGQSz.jpg

Reactions: lightmanek

Dayman1225

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2017
And to follow means today.

It is really looking like my theory is holding up. I suspect Vega Mobile is using EMIB. It is touting 1.7mm Z-Height, the same as Intel is for Kaby-G. Lower Z-Height is supposed to be an advantage of EMIB over SI.

Vega M and Kaby G look like the same product without and with the Intel CPU tacked on. AMD wanted Vega M on EMIB and Intel said, whats in it for us.

https://wccftech.com/amd-new-vega-discrete-gpu-for-mobility-with-hbm2-memory/

3cIGQSz.jpg

Ian Cutress has confirmed that it is indeed an Interposer and not EMIB
Ian said:
Ian said:

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
There goes that theory. :)

I still think the Intel product looks like an oddly tacked on solution.

Pretty much all the benefit comes from the GPU/HBM combo, which AMD is selling that can pair up with any CPU using PCIe, which is all the Intel solution uses anyway.

Now that I look closer, the AMD dGPU looks bigger than the one Intel is using.

Smooth and Sneaky AMD. :D

Ryzen Mobile plus bigger Vega M, should put AMD designs out front of the Intel one.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
You underestimate the hold Intel has on OEMs with its rebates and other programs. This lets AMD sell its GPUs where it couldn't otherwise sell them. And at the same time given Intel's influence over OEMs it locks Nvidia out of these premium laptops going forward.

It's a win win for AMD. They get to increase their marketshare of GPUs vs. Nvidia and they get paid for the effort.

Sure it competes with AMD's own APU efforts in this segment, but AMD has zero marketshare there currently, and it would take a long time to ramp up. It also would not be easy against Intel and Nvidia. AMD can concentrate on other markets they are ramping up. In my opinion this is a really shewed move by AMD.