Intel Chips With “Vega Inside” Coming Soon?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
It's looking to be hitting gaming servers. I saw some Epic Games server info somewhere before/after patch ands there is definitely a hit. May be a more indirect hit, but still affecting regular consumers.

Still need more info overall though to see where it all ends up. Especially if there is micro code patches coming out as well.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Because the patch doesn't have that much of a performance hit for consumer workloads.

Actually we don't know that yet because the existing benchmarks are all faulty. For the full patch you need a microcode (BIOS) update and all the gaming test and such were done without such an update, just the windows patch.

As has been said there is a graph out there from epic where a patched game server suddenly went from 20% to 60% cpu load...Plus 4k IO on ssd gets a 25% hit. I for sure would hold of for know to buy an intel cpu and would suggest to wait anyway even if you choose AMD.

ksec

Mar 5, 2010
I guess we can pray for a new, bug-fixed stepping? Though, I expect that if the "vulnerability" affects their entire OoO pipeline, then it would be non-trivial to fix, so I'm guessing that they didn't fix it.

Unfortunately It wont be and cant be fixed with a stepping.

ksec

Mar 5, 2010
Actually we don't know that yet because the existing benchmarks are all faulty. For the full patch you need a microcode (BIOS) update and all the gaming test and such were done without such an update, just the windows patch.

As has been said there is a graph out there from epic where a patched game server suddenly went from 20% to 60% cpu load...Plus 4k IO on ssd gets a 25% hit. I for sure would hold of for know to buy an intel cpu and would suggest to wait anyway even if you choose AMD.

We do, at least we know it has to do with syscall. Or basically anything that has do with lots of IO. Gaming Sever hitting hard is because they are all about IO workload, it is the same with Database. Your Video Encoding, number crushing, or Gaming, should take much less performance hit if at all.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
It’s a shame, folks are going to think Vega is an Intel product...
Nobody will be this stupid ;).

About the GPU. Its 4 shader engine design :O. Unbelievable. 64 ROPs, 4 Geometry Engines, 4 Shader Engines with 6 CUs each.

Two versions of the GPU: 1536 GCN core, and 1280 GCN core.

It also appears that whole package can be put in 45W TDP power envelope(supposedly 15W for CPU, and 30W for GPU).

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
Nobody will be this stupid ;).

About the GPU. Its 4 shader engine design :O. Unbelievable. 64 ROPs, 4 Geometry Engines, 4 Shader Engines with 6 CUs each.

Two versions of the GPU: 1536 GCN core, and 1280 GCN core.

It also appears that whole package can be put in 45W TDP power envelope(supposedly 15W for CPU, and 30W for GPU).

The average consumer will be.

Also 4th slide mentions a NUC incoming “Q1 2018”. That’d be a killer little box, probably a Skull Canyon NUC replacement.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
I wonder if Intel will start selling boards of those CPUs as a standalone products.

That would be perfect for a lot of people. I presume my company would be very interested to get their hands on those packages, and potentially experiment with it.

If it would only allow for standard part usage. Assembly powerful gaming computer from just few parts: PSU, Mobo+CPU, RAM, SSD, Cooler, Case would be extremely simple.

And expensive...

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
8809G is unlocked, but is it also unlocked in power? Also, the usual in AMD GPU undervolting (also a bit in Intel CPU) would be very helpful in making each watt count.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Core i7 8809G and 8709G have GH version - full part with 64 ROPs.

Every other: 8706G, 8705G, 8305G - all of them have cut down version of the GPU with 32 ROPs.

If you come to think of it, if AMD is designing its own, monolithic APU design, with 1792 GCN cores, and 2 GB's of HBM2, they can still put it in 65 and 95W TDP power envelopes on AM4 platform.

I think in upcoming weeks things will be interesting.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003

I think that's for comparison purposes. Performance may be too low at 45W to justify such an elaborate design and using HBM2.

"Delivering performance at two design points: 65W and 100W"

It looks very good. They state the new power sharing framework affords up to 18% increase in efficiency.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
I think that's for comparison purposes. Performance may be too low at 45W to justify such an elaborate design and using HBM2.

"Delivering performance at two design points: 65W and 100W"

It looks very good. They state the new power sharing framework affords up to 18% increase in efficiency.
Possible, does not mean - it will happen ;).

It looks very good. But if AMD was also developing this king of APU, and more importantly - its monolithic, and socketable on AM4 platform - it will be even better.

Dayman1225

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2017
DS6jyF3W0AA6Op9.jpg:large

ADkmYCC.jpg

This is apparently what the new NUCs look like and apparently the new NUCs spec.

Reactions: lightmanek

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
DS6jyF3W0AA6Op9.jpg:large

ADkmYCC.jpg

This is apparently what the new NUCs look like and apparently the new NUCs spec.
Yep, and it will have rubbish cooling. It was not able to cool Iris Pro's from Haswell Gen, and they throttled as hell.

In another news.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7oo4dq/3dmark_11_i78809g_i78705g/
8809g GPU scores 14000 Graphics score, which apparently appears to be higher than RX 470.

Also I compared the scores, from Intel tests, to the scores Notebookcheck did with GTX 1060 Max-Q. And the scores are "near enough" to be valid. In real world - I think we have on par GPU with GTX 1060 Max-Q.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
HP and Dell are also coming with their own NUCs that have this chip. There will be an avalanche of products with this.

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
No mention of free sync compatibility. Also that NUC looks pretty ugly, I hope they continue to include a swapable plate for it.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
It is interesting that nowhere it says anything about Freesync. Maybe its because of switchable graphics, and Intel - so far- does not support FreeSync.

And funniest part. Even Core i5 8305G will be absolutely plenty for gaming in 1080p. GTX 1050 is just 15% slower than GTX 1050 Ti, and according to Intel - in games, Vega M GL is between 10 to 40% faster than GTX 1050. In 65W TDP package!

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Sound like a perfect fit for those VR Backpacks MSI and HP were showing few months ago. It should be simpler and use less power as a bonus.

There are some claims saying laptops are coming with the GPU, one named being HP Spectre X360. I am not sure to believe those claims, since Intel themselves are not admitting design wins beyond NUC form factors.

You know what would be nice? Integrated CPU motherboards sold through vendors like Newegg similar to what they do with Apollo Lake.

Dayman1225

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2017
HP and Dell are also coming with their own NUCs that have this chip. There will be an avalanche of products with this.

I take it I am the only one that interpreted that as HP and Dell laptops and then Intel NUCs aswell? (Guess I read the leaked stuff to fast...)

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
You know what would be nice? Integrated CPU motherboards sold through vendors like Newegg similar to what they do with Apollo Lake.
Yep, that's exactly what I have written already.

P.S. Its perfect business for Intel - selling MoBo and BGA package to consumers would force at some point complete upgrades...

Fit it in something like this: http://www.minicase.net/product_E-H80.html And you get perfect NUC ;).

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
P.S. Its perfect business for Intel - selling MoBo and BGA package to consumers would force at some point complete upgrades...

I haven't seen many people that upgrade their computers. Pre-built systems make perfect sense to a vast majority. I would argue often that DIY systems make sense to save money, but people throw away everything and buy 100% brand new - case, power supply, storage, heck most of the time even keyboard and mouse.

Even for DIYers, CPUs are not upgraded without changing the motherboard, and often memory. I do upgrades because I like doing it, but they still come in the 3-5 year range. By then, socket compatibility matters nil.

What makes this product different is now you have to upgrade the GPU as well. Before, people would keep CPU same but change video card. For upgrade purposes, this is bad. It would make sense in a mITX system solely because you get the maximum perf/space. Where previously you couldn't get dGPU level performance at all, now you can. You don't even need to spend on a big power supply.