Question Intel CEO says the industry should stop using benchmarks [PCGamer]

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Are benchmark results the newest "fake news" item? :p

So people should instead base their purchase decision on benefits like which CPU offers the best *cough* security *cough*? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: DarthKyrie

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002

So people should instead base their purchase decision on benefits like which CPU offers the best *cough* security *cough*? ;)
I mean, even that they lose on big time... This is so pathetic, I don't know how investors CAN'T see through this, are they that stupid ? (don't answer that)

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007

Benchmarks will become super important to intel (and thus, in their opinion, also for their customers) the instant their processors become dominant again. Assuming that actually happens, of course.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
In many cases, benchmarks are near useless without context. But they're used without context anyway (Geekbench in particular).

Meanwhile if you benchmark games Intel still comes out ahead in many cases, so I'm not sure why they would be against benchmarks in general.
Because I'm pretty sure his statement is one he's saying because they're coming up to Tiger Lake launch soon-ish. I don't think it's because of server, HEDT or desktop. It's too late for those now.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
The wiki says that he was an engineer in the first paragraph but the education part of it doesn't list any engineering degree's.

According to that wiki article, BK was a process engineer, not necessarily an electrical engineer or architect, which makes sense given his degree in Chemistry.

Bob Swan, on the other hand, is a bean counter. He got his degree in Business Administration before getting his MBA.

RetroZombie

Nov 5, 2019
Meanwhile if you benchmark games Intel still comes out ahead in many cases, so I'm not sure why they would be against benchmarks in general.
They must already know that they will lose in all benchmarks (and tests) including games with zen3, that's why he must be saying that.

Just imagine they win at nothing, why should anyone recommend the most expensive platform and the most expensive cpu? (Like they like to price their products against amd)

At least judging by his Tiger Lake remarks the cpu must be as good if not better than renoir, let's just hope it will be competitive priced.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Clearly current CPUs need to be evaluated based on how they make you feel rather than with math and stuff.
It's settled then. Next Gamersnexus YT video title:

The new core i nine one zero nine nine zero K makes me feel... ...gassy. Since that's all you have to know, we skipped the rather unsatisfactory chore of a good 60 hours worth of benchmarking. Affiliate links in the description below.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
They must already know that they will lose in all benchmarks (and tests) including games with zen3, that's why he must be saying that.

Just imagine they win at nothing, why should anyone recommend the most expensive platform and the most expensive cpu? (Like they like to price their products against amd)

At least judging by his Tiger Lake remarks the cpu must be as good if not better than renoir, let's just hope it will be competitive priced.

Well Tiger Lake in particular won't be competing against Zen3 for awhile. Its main competition is Renoir. So I do not understand the semi-defeatist attitude being exuded by Swan. Do they expect Tiger Lake to lose to Renoir?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Well Tiger Lake in particular won't be competing against Zen3 for awhile. Its main competition is Renoir. So I do not understand the semi-defeatist attitude being exuded by Swan. Do they expect Tiger Lake to lose to Renoir?

The U is only 4 cores so it'll look bad in benchmarks. Who knows when you would see the H and how widespread it'll be.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Come on guys, Bob is right, benchmarks clearly no long cover what Intel is actually going for:

"We should see this moment as an opportunity to shift our focus as an industry from benchmarks to the benefits and impacts of the technology we create. The pandemic has underscored the need for technology to be purpose-built so it can meet these evolving business and consumer needs.

And this requires a customer-obsessed mindset to stay close, anticipate those needs, and develop solutions. In this mindset, the goal is to ensure we are optimising for a stronger impact that will support and accelerate positive business and societal benefits around the globe.
"

roflcopter
Sounds a bit like Apple.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Getting ahead of the game, I mean is there any proof that 10nm is in any better situation then last year or the year before. If its not, its still going to be small dies, and bad clocks, and maybe still bad yields. Are they going to have to pump up the power on these mobile chips just to get base clocks up? I mean look at Icelake, 28w for a 2.3GHz base clock 4c part. AMD has a 35w 8c part with a 2.9GHz base clock. Looking at 4u chips, AMD has a 2.7GHz base for a similar 4c 15w unit (even though it carries some overhead of being originally a 8c chip. If tiger lake is all IPC improvements and no clock improvements, even at the growth they are touting, its still going to be a rough ride. At some point Intel is going to have to bite the big one and move their other markets over as well. Is a 10nm Xeon going to hold up against a 7nm+ Epyc? A 5nm Epyc. If AMD keeps up with 15%-20% even if Intel gets 25% a gen its going to be a tough fight once Intel leaves the comfort of 14nm.

But honestly. This is just a seed. It was said, public will keep an eye out, and they will choose when the market actually is ready for No Benchmarks. If TL is competitive, specially if it wins enough for them to make a few slides, then the market isn't ready yet.