Incomprehensible mass shooting happens again

Page 39 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FlawleZ

Oct 13, 2016
It's probably getting worse because assault weapons are easy and cheap to come by and crazies thinking they'll become known if they shoot up a school. Most school shooters haven't hit the "real world" yet so I don't think it's that. It might be that kids are told way too much of they fuck up high school they'll be fucked forever, though.
Please define "Assault Weapon".

I firmly believe we have a mental health crisis on our hands. Among other things. I think we have far too many kids growing up in households where they aren't taught proper morals, values, respect, etc. Many don't get any attention or love they deserve.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
And your access to "boom-boom stuff" is very, very regulated in the military, so I don't get your point.
What does very, very regulated mean? It seems some of the military weapons are used in violent crimes. At least 1900 lost or stolen in the 2010s according to this AP story.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I firmly believe we have a mental health crisis on our hands

That's true but the gun-issue is not directly related to it in any way except that current law makes it far too easy and quick for mentally ill people to obtain near combat-ready weapons.

Also while the breakdown of the family structure in America has no doubt played into the current situation with kids mental health (or lack of!) don't forget that we have good old Uncle Ronnie to thank for the fact that its nearly impossible for parents to get their kids treatment unless wealthy.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

I firmly believe we have a mental health crisis on our hands. Among other things. I think we have far too many kids growing up in households where they aren't taught proper morals, values, respect, etc. Many don't get any attention or love they deserve.
Maybe we could start paying people enough for a single wage earner to work one job and support an entire household. Oh, and maybe not force people to have babies they don't want to have, that would probably help too.

And make no mistake: part of the mental health crisis is that the GOP has gone full-tilt batshit fucking crazy, if we could fix that, it would be helpful too.

FlawleZ

Oct 13, 2016
That's true but the gun-issue is not directly related to it in any way except that current law makes it far too easy and quick for mentally ill people to obtain near combat-ready weapons.

Also while the breakdown of the family structure in America has no doubt played into the current situation with kids mental health (or lack of!) don't forget that we have good old Uncle Ronnie to thank for the fact that its nearly impossible for parents to get their kids treatment unless wealthy.
The problem with more regulation on firearms is its a very slippery slope. I don't want bad people to be able to legally purchase anymore than anyone else, but it's something that should be tread VERY carefully or the U.S. will end up like Australia.

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

I'm not playing that game.

I would personally ban all semiautomatics.

I really doubt you can trace school shootings to "lack of moral teachings at home." You can trace them all to having access to guns, though.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The problem with more regulation on firearms is its a very slippery slope. I don't want bad people to be able to legally purchase anymore than anyone else, but it's something that should be tread VERY carefully or the U.S. will end up like Australia.

Yeah.... REALLY sounds terrible! :confused:

In 2019 in Australia, there were 229 gun deaths, excluding from suicides. In the United States for the same time frame, there were 19,379 gun deaths, excluding from suicides.

(Per Google)

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Almost no mass shootings? Yeah god forbid we bring that shit here!

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Yeah, it would be terrible if we ended mass shootings here like they have.

Reactions: iRONic

FlawleZ

Oct 13, 2016
HAs anyone posted this yet? The actual outline of the Active Shooter training that the officers went through?
It appears they didn't learn a fucking thing.

Does anyone else not only find it criminal how the law enforcement reacted (or lack of) to his whole thing? Aren't they paid to "protect and serve" yet they stand around for an hour with their hands in their pockets.
Seems a little more than strange the way they handled this.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Does anyone else not only find it criminal how the law enforcement reacted (or lack of) to his whole thing? Aren't they paid to "protect and serve" yet they stand around for an hour with their hands in their pockets.

Rest assured, these cops and this police department are going to be dealing with lawsuits for a LONG time. The real problem with that, anything won in a civil case will come right out of the tax payers' pocket and not the police union or pension funds. It's a complete joke... this is just beyond messed up and every one of those cops that had training and/or were there that day better pay some sort of price (and not desk duty or leave with pay or some BS like that).

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I'm not playing that game.

I would personally ban all semiautomatics.

I really doubt you can trace school shootings to "lack of moral teachings at home." You can trace them all to having access to guns, though.
I wonder if he's talking about the lack of moral teachings from gun worshipers like James and Jennifer Crumbley, the failed parents of the 15 year old gunman from the school shooting in December. Remember that one? Where he got in trouble for shopping for ammo at school, and the mom responded "LOL I'm not mad at you. You have to learn not to get caught."

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
It’s dishonest as fuck to try and deflect everything to the law enforcement response. Yes it was fucked up. But that doesn’t deal with the root cause. The only metric left to account for in regards to gun violence and deaths in this country when compared to other industrialized countries is the sheer number of guns in this country. It’s the only metric the US is exceptional in by a wide margin.

So yeah we can bitch about the law enforcement response to a single incident while ignoring the bigger problem but I am done with that bull shit. So go fuck your guns and try not to blow off your micro penis while doing so.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
It’s dishonest as fuck to try and deflect everything to the law enforcement response. Yes it was fucked up. But that doesn’t deal with the root cause. The only metric left to account for in regards to gun violence and deaths in this country when compared to other industrialized countries is the sheer number of guns in this country. It’s the only metric the US is exceptional in by a wide margin.

So yeah we can bitch about the law enforcement response to a single incident while ignoring the bigger problem but I am done with that bull shit. So go fuck your guns and try not to blow off your micro penis while doing so.

Why can't we complain about both and demand fixes and changes to both? There's LOTS here to unpack and remedy.