Incomprehensible mass shooting happens again

Page 41 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
can you tell us what is so bad about australia in your mind?
public health care.......

yuck what a disgusting thought.

Also in the last election murdoch got his arse kicked and his party of bigots got their heart land ripped out, so things are looking pretty good for anyone who's fundamental position is, lets not be arsehoels to each other.
all the seats that went from Lib to Independent is what is amazing and they are all "blue-ribbon" seats that the Libs normally win with 15% margin.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
You can propose whatever the hell you want but remember if gun owners don’t start offering solutions that work then they’ll get solutions from non gun owners that you might not like.

I couldn’t care less about anyone’s right to own a gun so if you lose that right it’ll be because gun owners didn’t care enough about protecting people as they did about protecting their guns.
And until someone (I could care less who) can come up with a solution that will actually get past the various blockades in the way, it won't matter. We as a nation can keep waffling back and forth over what restrictions make sense, what would work, what's the right first step, blah blah blah. If it can't get past the senate, or the SC, it doesn't matter.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
so basically all the TX authorities were...ahem...shooting from the hip....when they gave their first accounts?

seems to me like people ought to STFU until a clear assessment can be done. this would be comical if the situation weren't so fucking disastrous
It's the GOP way. Put out the message you want. Later when facts are introduced, it will not undo the perception in the minds of conservatives. It's fundamental to how and why conservatives minds are broken.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Please define "Assault Weapon".

I firmly believe we have a mental health crisis on our hands. Among other things. I think we have far too many kids growing up in households where they aren't taught proper morals, values, respect, etc. Many don't get any attention or love they deserve.
Why should they when it's cool to elect a President that has none of these. In case you didn't know I'm referring to the last one.

So called Christians are some of the most hateful hypocrites you can meet.

You mentioned mental health, what have Republicans done to separate the mentally incapable from their guns?

Why have Republicans continued to refuse funding healthcare? Texas is ranked #50 in support for mental healthcare

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Reactions: hal2kilo

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
And until someone (I could care less who) can come up with a solution that will actually get past the various blockades in the way, it won't matter. We as a nation can keep waffling back and forth over what restrictions make sense, what would work, what's the right first step, blah blah blah. If it can't get past the senate, or the SC, it doesn't matter.

Hutchinson raises minimum purchase age, ‘AR-15-style weapons’ for ‘conversation’ in gun reform negotiations

It looks like there is room for a deal to be made if deal makers can get in there, play it cool and sideline the grandstanders and the absolutists.

Won't be easy, but it's not impossible.

IDK about the SC tho. A wild card for sure, but overturning a bipartisan bill from Congress will be more politically difficult than an individual blue state restriction. Just one more reason to try and work out a deal.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Signal has already been sent. Mitch McConnell has already stated the only thing that should be done is mental health and school safety. Forgetting the fact Greg Abbott spent 100m to harden Texas schools.

”We have a, a group led by Senator Cornin, and Senator Murphy on democratic side, discussing how we might be able to come together to target the problem, which is mental illness and school safety,” McConnell said.

Nothing will happen. If they are so serious about mental health they would push for psych evaluations before any gun license is issued.

McConnell discusses mental illness, school safety following Texas shooting (wave3.com)

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Time to watch Obummers speech again. If you haven't seen it, it's very intelligent and well presented, the complete opposite of what a Republican would have to offer.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reactions: Zorba and HomerJS

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Oh no! Here COMES CHIIIIIICAWGOOOOOOOOOOOO!

lol

I got a friend (who is admittedly appalled by school shootings), but he keeps texting me about Chicago shootings as well.
I don't even respond to those texts anymore... what does he expect me to say? I mean yeah... THEY SUCK TOO. And are horrible. So... we agree?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It really has nothing to do with the brain's development, but more so with society and parental upbringing because today's society/parenting shelter their kids and try to shield them from the real world, rather than teaching them reality. (I know, what's more real than student's getting shot and killed at school). Many young adults are naïve and when some start to get a taste of the real world they have been sheltered from (rejection, disappointment, failures, etc) , they don't know how to handle it and snap. Good decision making comes with upbringing, and continues thru life as you make mistakes, learn from those mistakes, and mature. Heck, we have many middle aged people who still make bad decisions, some are also responsible for mass murders..

Edit: however, according to google: a person's brain doesn't fully develop fully until age 25. But isn't development also contingent of what information is introduced to them and what level one exercises (uses) their brain?
No. The prefrontal cortex is not "fully" developed until about 25. This is the part of the brain that handles predictive ability, ie: A leads to B leads to C leads to D leads to E and on and on. This is why we say kids act like they are going to live forever. No amount of information can completely overcome that, unfortunately.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
No. The prefrontal cortex is not "fully" developed until about 25. This is the part of the brain that handles predictive ability, ie: A leads to B leads to C leads to D leads to E and on and on. This is why we say kids act like they are going to live forever. No amount of information can completely overcome that, unfortunately.

I'm thinking his brain-development may well have fallen a bit short! ;)

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Time to watch Obummers speech again. If you haven't seen it, it's very intelligent and well presented, the complete opposite of what a Republican would have to offer.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
God I miss him. Only time since the 90s it didn't feel like the country was falling apart.

m8d

Nov 5, 2012
The problem with more regulation on firearms is its a very slippery slope. I don't want bad people to be able to legally purchase anymore than anyone else, but it's something that should be tread VERY carefully or the U.S. will end up like Australia.
How bad can it be not to worry about your kids being killed in a mass shooting at school?

• Love
Reactions: hal2kilo

m8d

Nov 5, 2012
Please define "Assault Weapon".

I firmly believe we have a mental health crisis on our hands. Among other things. I think we have far too many kids growing up in households where they aren't taught proper morals, values, respect, etc. Many don't get any attention or love they deserve.
It seems that AmeriKKKa has a lot of mentally ill people. Other first-world countries don't have this problem of mass shootings.